• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Voice Actor Kirby Morrow Passes Away at 47

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:34 pm Reply with quote
Oh God. I'm absolutely speechless. How in the world did this happen? 47 is way too young.

Whatever the case, may he rest in peace.
Gem-Bug

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Rest In Peace

I'm still processing. So many roles in shows I watched growing up. I don't recall him doing many variations with his voice so you usually knew it was him playing a character right away. Crying or Very sad
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:46 pm Reply with quote
This is heartbreaking. Crying or Very sad I was so happy that he got to reprise Miroku in Yashahime, and for this to be announced so soon afterwards is devastating. Thank you for so many great memories.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This is so surprising and sad to hear.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:04 pm Reply with quote
One week we're celebrating his return to Inuyasha and then he's gone just a few weeks later.

47 is too young to go.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:10 pm Reply with quote
When one of my friends linked up to this news shortly after it broke, my jaw literally dropped. I was shocked to hear this, especially given how it was just announced that he was reprising his role as Miroku. It's like... I couldn't even process that it was real with how sudden this actually had come out. I still don't think I've fully processed how real this actually is, and it really sucks.

RIP Kirby Morrow; you will be sorely missed. x.x
Lycosyncer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Oh no, first Koji and now Kirby?! Both of Miroku's voice actors are gone! Sad

Like everyone else, I did notice that when he reprised his role as Miroku for the first episode of Yashahime, his voice sounds a lot more rougher than usual and I just took that as being out of practise for not voice acting for a long while and may need some time to readjust but when this news broke out, I am now suddenly reminded of what happened with Chadwick Boseman earlier this year and I can't believe I didn't notice the signs earlier.

Despite what happened, we should at least be glad to hear Kirby voice Miroku one last time and we should all cherish the moment. Kirby has voiced a lot of iconic anime roles in our childhood and we will still remember him long afterwards as well.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Morrow. We're all gonna miss you! Sad
mdo7

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Oh my goodness Shocked Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

I really liked him as a voice actors for doing a lot of voices. Trowa Barton, Miroku, and also some characters for American cartoon like Cyclops for X-Men: Evolution.

This is not what I expected to see today. He will be missed, RIP Kirby Morrow. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Somer-_-

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
He sounded rough in Yashahime. Maybe he was ill. I remember him showing up in YTV's Crunch segment way back in the early 2000s.

Lycosyncer wrote:

Despite what happened, we should at least be glad to hear Kirby voice Miroku one last time we should all cherish the moment. Kirby has voiced a lot of iconic anime roles in our childhood and we will still remember him long afterwards as well.

My thoughts exactly. Rest in Peace.

Last edited by Somer-_- on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:23 pm Reply with quote
This sounds like it was sudden since they still had him do Miroku in Yashahime..... RIP
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:26 pm Reply with quote
RIP. I remember him as Miroku, then when my husband and I viewed X-Men Evolution, I instantly recognized that voice when he was Cyclops. At first I got him mixed up with Nightcrawler's VA, but then remembered that was Light's VA. Anime hyper Regardless, we will miss him a lot. He was a blessed member of the Inuyasha fandom.
Oggers

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:27 pm Reply with quote
RIP Kirby Morrow. I grew up listening to him as Miroku in Inuyasha and Goku in the Ocean dub of DBZ (and Jay from Class of the Titans--does anybody else remember that show? Probably not), so hearing about this was a shock. My condolences to his loved ones.

Last edited by Oggers on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Absolutely tragic and shocking news. Kirby was a very talented actor with a distinctive, youthful-sounding voice, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy too. I'll always remember him best as Miroku, but I also enjoyed him in Death Note, and what I've heard of him as Goku in Ocean DBZ. It's great that he was able to reprise his role of Miroku one final time. I don't want to speculate on the cause of his death, but it seems like he was ill in some way. One of my friends mentioned that his voice in YashaHime heavily reminded her of her own voice during her numerous bouts with pneumonia.

And it is a bizarre, horrible coincidence that Miroku's Japanese and English voices are both gone now. Sad

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
mulletZERO

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Oh my god that's so sad. He was part of my childhood and I'm stunned that he passed away so young. Rest in peace.
wutsdisred

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Oggers wrote:
RIP Kirby Morrow. I grew up listening to him as Miroku in Inuyasha (and Jay from Class of the Titans--does anybody else remember that show? Probably not), so hearing about this was a shock. My condolences to his loved ones.

Oh, right, you just reminded me of that show! I loved that as a kid.

One I'll always remember is his role in the Barbie Nutcracker movie.

Rest in peace.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5