• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - Is Magatsu Warheit Zuerst Worth Watching?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
meiam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:13 pm Reply with quote
I dunno how much of the backstory I'm missing because I haven't played the game, but I really wished they expanded on it. The monster seem to be a really minor problem (we only see one of them attack a village, everywhere else seems completely free of them) so it's hard to sympathize fully with the rebel. The government seems to be forbidding people from having heavy armament, which is a pretty sensible thing to do imo, and the rebel rise up to counter that and smuggle weapons, which they almost exclusively use to attack the government, justifying the government ban in the process. I'd gladly trade up every Leo scene for more backstory and maybe a few more episodes where the rebel use their forbidden weapon to fight off monster.

Especially since there seems to be some sort of nuclear waste-ish threat happening in the background that seems way more serious than the monster, but the rebel seems completely uninterested in tackling that issue.

Otherwise I agree that Inu is pretty much the only thing bringing me back to the show, in a lesser show he'd probably already have some sort of amazing super power and would be the resistance only hope and yadayadya. I'm happy that the everyday man/fish out of water is staying as such.
Maciste

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:52 pm Reply with quote
First I thought, the Japanese creators of this gem spelled the word "Wahrheit" (truth) in their own title wrong. And then I thought, how easy it would have been to just double-check by using Google Translate.
But then I found out that I accused the wrong one, because you guys spelled it wrong every chance you got.
Made me feel bad. So I apologize to KLab Games and YAL.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Maciste wrote:
First I thought, the Japanese creators of this gem spelled the word "Wahrheit" (truth) in their own title wrong. And then I thought, how easy it would have been to just double-check by using Google Translate.
But then I found out that I accused the wrong one, because you guys spelled it wrong every chance you got.
Made me feel bad. So I apologize to KLab Games and YAL.

With all due respect, the only typo for the title was in the headline. (1) time = "every chance you got?"
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm enjoying this series much more than Nick and Steve and really wish it had gotten the weekly reviews it deserves. Also, Innu is the weak link for me, although he seems to be slowly growing a spine. Hopefully he will stop whimpering so I can get behind his troubles more. And I really want to, since his situation is one I'd normally be so sympathetic to.

But each episode really keeps me on edge waiting for various hammers to fall, so that's fun.

As for the bit about not distributing guns while telling cities to defend themselves, that's exactly what the US government did with PPE, not only hoarding supplies but intercepting and confiscating shipments states had managed to secure on their own as instructed. The result was states resorting to ridiculously cloak and dagger arrangements to meet and transport shipments under armed guard to hospitals, not unlike what's depicted with the rebels. So the real world has shown the situation in the series isn't all that fanciful.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 8:24 pm Reply with quote
I initially started watching MWZ because the third episode thumbnail had acharacter who looked like Mai Tokiha from My Hime and any character a tenth as interesting as Mai is someone worth watching; There's something about the eyes that says that they're seen some horrible things and they know they're going to see some horrible things in the future.

She got me going... in the end, I'd rate Schanke at .5 Mai as she's a little too aloof at times; She's a noble playing rebel and now we haven't seen her for several episodes so there's also that.... but what keeps me going is Innmael.

He's 100% Terry Pratchett's Rincewind. He's a the lovable coward who does the right thing at always the right time and he's just lucky enough not to do die doing it.

And Helman, good, sweet Helman, he didn't kill 20 prostitutes as part of some long term revenge scheme, he used the excuse of a revenge scheme to kill 20 prostitutes. Trying to call him the Count of Monte Cristo but crazy when you really should say he's Jack the Ripper but in a military uniform.
The thousand yard stare, the constant 5 o'clock shadow, Helman has a great character design to go with a great vocal delivery. He just exudes authority in all the wrong places.

Lucardio is there theoretically. As a foil for Innmael, he'd be one to do wrong things at the right time or the right thing at the wrong time and, yeah, that's why he's there. And as a foil, he can't change until Innmael does first so he's kind of stuck for now.

I like the overall visual design, the pacing and the story and if Moonphase taught me anything, I'm a sucker for tragic characters named Elfriede. I am really enjoying it.

It's not an Isekai and we're not being spoonfed exposition and for that I am grateful.
Wow, I managed all of that without saying "Hitchcockian" once. Speaking of which...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1