• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Inside Mari GN 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scowler

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:04 pm Reply with quote
This series is legally available on Crunchyroll Manga for those who have a Crunchyroll subscription. So if you are considering this GN but are unsure, you may be able to read a few chapters online first.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Like the review says, there's a lot of good material in this first volume, with Isao being horribly messed up in really interesting ways...

...but I've read the simulpub, and I honestly have to wonder if the insights and thematic substance here are undermined by later developments.
Calsolum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:06 am Reply with quote
Well thats an interesting concept wonder what the review's like.

Quote:
His most well-known work, The Flowers of Evil

AH HELL NO. I'm getting the F*** outta here.

But no seriously this guy's mangas are always messed up and disturbing yet irresistibly enticing.

I'll have to check out this volume but I have a feeling it's going to be on my 'buy when there's a sale' list.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Ah, this one. Read up on the full series a while back considering my familiarity with Oshimi's work on Flowers of Evil. There's definitely enough going on in the series where I'd say fans of psychological drama should get enough interest dabbling into this and will have its fair deal of disturbing moments just like Flowers of Evil.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 11:26 am Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
...but I've read the simulpub, and I honestly have to wonder if the insights and thematic substance here are undermined by later developments.

Pretty much this. It's a good story, but yeah, there are... developments in the later volumes.
a_Bear_in_Bearcave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
DerekL1963 wrote:
Shay Guy wrote:

Pretty much this. It's a good story, but yeah, there are... developments in the later volumes.

I remember I read that to the end and was quite satisfied with the whole thing, but i guess it's Your Mileage May Vary type of resolving of the story.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 7:57 pm Reply with quote
a_Bear_in_Bearcave wrote:
I remember I read that to the end and was quite satisfied with the whole thing, but i guess it's Your Mileage May Vary type of resolving of the story.

Oh, I think the later developments are interesting in themselves. My main issues are (A) I feel like the manga ends too early and I wish there was more fallout from Isao learning The Thing instead of it just resolving The Thing, and (B) in light of the aforementioned Thing, I'm really not sure what this part of the story is trying to say.
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:
Oh, I think the later developments are interesting in themselves. My main issues are (A) I feel like the manga ends too early and I wish there was more fallout from Isao learning The Thing instead of it just resolving The Thing, and (B) in light of the aforementioned Thing, I'm really not sure what this part of the story is trying to say.

Yeah, that was kinda my point. (I didn't say anything about the ending or the resolution.)

Only that there's two stories, both with lots of potential, duct taped together in the middle.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1