• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Land of the Lustrous Manga Goes on Hiatus

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 7:39 pm Reply with quote
As someone who's reading the manga not surprising the recent arcs have been super high contrast art wise
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:19 pm Reply with quote
Is this why Kodansha has canceled/delayed pre-orders of Vol. 11? I would definitely prefer that to be the case over them canceling publishing the series.
Zeino

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
As someone who's reading the manga not surprising the recent arcs have been super high contrast art wise

Is Ichikawa-san seriously sick or something?
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:

Not that I'm aware of
catbot158

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2020 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I mean...they did just get a PS5...this could be another Berserk situation lol.

No but seriously, with all the high-quality art the last few chapters had (as well as high amounts of depression and pain this story is a LOT) Ichikawa-sensei needed a break. Have fun on your PS5, and don't hurt us too ba-I MEAN see you when you get back!
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:29 am Reply with quote
Hope the author's doing okay. I loved the hell out of the anime.

(Season 2 wen Orange? Sad )
Kosaka

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 2:53 am Reply with quote
Hope the mangaka is in good health.

Re:
Quote:
Amazon's now-defunct Anime Strike service streamed the series in the United States and Canada as it aired.

When Anime Strike went away, it became available on Amazon.com . It can be watched for free if you have an Amazon Prime subscription.

https://www.amazon.com/Phosphophyllite/dp/B0767P3MV6/
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2018-01-05/amazon-shuts-down-anime-strike-paid-streaming-service/.126099

Re:
Quote:
Sentai Filmworks released the anime in a steelbook complete collection in January 2019.

Sentai Filmworks also released a "regular" Blu-ray complete collection in May 2019.
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-05-22/north-american-anime-manga-releases-may-19-25/.146923
https://www.sentaifilmworks.com/products/land-of-the-lustrous-complete-collection-blu-ray
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Land-of-the-Lustrous-Standard-Edition-Blu-ray
https://www.animecornerstore.com/landoflustrous.html
https://www.amazon.com/Land-Lustrous-Blu-ray-Avery-Smithhart/dp/6317740453/
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:23 am Reply with quote
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:
Zeino wrote:
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:

Not that I'm aware of

Her comment in the newest magazine that announced her hiatus is that she won a PS5. I think she might be taking a gamer holiday.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:51 am Reply with quote
Zeino wrote:
Kaylee Smerbeck wrote:

Some rest is always good, but it's not like that!
There will be another time skip in the story and Ichikawa just want us readers to suffer. That's it, she wants readers to feel the wait with the characters
Of course, there are other real world reasons for this break but it was timed with what's happening in the story. She is cruel.
dragonquiz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:19 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
Is this why Kodansha has canceled/delayed pre-orders of Vol. 11? I would definitely prefer that to be the case over them canceling publishing the series.

Kodansha USA didn't canceled, they moved the release date to Oct 5, 2021 as this is a monthly series so the volumes come out once or twice a year, and its good to wait for vol 11 as then you won't have a longer wait time to vol 12 and later ones (that is if you just read the volumes and not the chapters).
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:37 am Reply with quote
dragonquiz wrote:
pachy_boy wrote:

Kodansha USA didn't canceled, they moved the release date to Oct 5, 2021 as this is a monthly series so the volumes come out once or twice a year, and its good to wait for vol 11 as then you won't have a longer wait time to vol 12 and later ones (that is if you just read the volumes and not the chapters).

They did delay it to that date, then it was delisted from RightStuf and preorders were refunded. I thought it was also delisted from Amazon, but I see it has a listing there again. I guess we'll see if RightStuf gets a listing for it in June (since I've noticed manga preorder listings there tend to only be four months ahead for most publishers). It's still not listed on Kodansha's website though (I didn't check if it was there before the release date was moved, so maybe this is normal).

I never could find a reason for the huge delay though. I'm guessing it was delayed because the Japanese release was delayed (I think that was due to COVID), but I couldn't find a reason why it was pushed out by more than a year since the Japan release was in July.
fathomlessblue

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:10 pm Reply with quote
Between this newly announced hiatus, Kodansha's extended delay in releasing volume 11 in the west and Orange seemingly having little open interest in continuing the adaptation, it sure is tough being a Land of the Lustrous fan right now. I suppose that sets you up for the existential dread of the franchise quite well, but I'd rather not have my pain be quite so meta. Confused

I've tried inquire or look into why there's a 14 month delay between volumes 10 and 11 in the west, but unsurprisingly Kodansha USA's pr team isn't great at responding to people. A small, but increasingly desperate part of me keeps holding on to it being a decision from Japan itself, and that they want to hold back on the show in anticipation of some big announcement.... but most likely it just isn't a big priority for them.

At least between comments like these and tweets to companies like Orange, it's nice to see there's still a fervent fandom in the west, although who know if actually it's big enough to justify further investment. I do have to wonder how HnK's story would have gone if Netflix had picked it up rather than letting it rot on Prime, as I could easier see another Beastars occurring, where a sizable cult following emerges. As it stands, I can easily see Amazon still holding the first season in the west being a significant enough barrier for other companies to encourage further investment. Eh, maybe Japan will make more regardless, if Orange is willing to put the effort into the increasingly difficult assets required for future volumes.
boldulysses

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 10:30 am Reply with quote
fathomlessblue wrote:
Between this newly announced hiatus, Kodansha's extended delay in releasing volume 11 in the west and Orange seemingly having little open interest in continuing the adaptation, it sure is tough being a Land of the Lustrous fan right now. I suppose that sets you up for the existential dread of the franchise quite well, but I'd rather not have my pain be quite so meta. Confused

I've tried inquire or look into why there's a 14 month delay between volumes 10 and 11 in the west, but unsurprisingly Kodansha USA's pr team isn't great at responding to people. A small, but increasingly desperate part of me keeps holding on to it being a decision from Japan itself, and that they want to hold back on the show in anticipation of some big announcement.... but most likely it just isn't a big priority for them.

At least between comments like these and tweets to companies like Orange, it's nice to see there's still a fervent fandom in the west, although who know if actually it's big enough to justify further investment. I do have to wonder how HnK's story would have gone if Netflix had picked it up rather than letting it rot on Prime, as I could easier see another Beastars occurring, where a sizable cult following emerges. As it stands, I can easily see Amazon still holding the first season in the west being a significant enough barrier for other companies to encourage further investment. Eh, maybe Japan will make more regardless, if Orange is willing to put the effort into the increasingly difficult assets required for future volumes.

^Summed up my thoughts exactly! I've been pining for a 2nd season of the anime for years now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1