• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: The Honor Student at Magic High School Manga Gets TV Anime in 2021

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SubaruSumeragi22

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:15 am Reply with quote
So it's similar to Sword Oratoria for Danmachi or Railgun for Index?
Ygglidashi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:38 am Reply with quote
SubaruSumeragi22 wrote:
So it's similar to Sword Oratoria for Danmachi or Railgun for Index?

Yes, pretty much
ETX

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:32 pm Reply with quote
^ Was just about to comment that it's pretty much like Sword Oratoria lmao
IceLeaf

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:45 pm Reply with quote
If anyone made it further through the manga, did it get better? I usually like/don't mind the slice off life and side character spin offs but this never seemed to hit right for me but since it is getting an adaptation I'm wondering if it's worth picking up again.
Gamen

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:11 pm Reply with quote
IceLeaf wrote:
If anyone made it further through the manga, did it get better? I usually like/don't mind the slice off life and side character spin offs but this never seemed to hit right for me but since it is getting an adaptation I'm wondering if it's worth picking up again.

In my opinion if you didn't like it at the start then you wouldn't like the rest of it; it continues to be just a retelling of the first four books of Mahouka from Miyuki and girl's perspective and can't really stand apart from its main story, unlike Railgun and Sword Oratoria which are enjoyable in their own right. (...I haven't even read/watched Index in a long time, only Railgun)

I mean, unless you like sports anime/manga, which is what volumes 5 on basically are in their entirety, unlike how the Nine Schools arc went in the main story.
Niyari

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Makes me hopeful we'll eventually see the rest of the main series adapted if they're going to keep pushing the franchise
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:50 pm Reply with quote
A Miyuki spinoff? I guess the "Oni-sama" will intensify.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Niyari wrote:
Makes me hopeful we'll eventually see the rest of the main series adapted if they're going to keep pushing the franchise

They could have pushed the franchise by announcing the next season of the main series when there's enough material to adapt. Weird to enable this spinoff announcement.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:48 am Reply with quote
Rob19ny wrote:
Niyari wrote:

They could have pushed the franchise by announcing the next season of the main series when there's enough material to adapt. Weird to enable this spinoff announcement.

Oh there's more than enough material. Even with this season way less than half of the material has been covered.
Anneyuno1

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:04 am Reply with quote
The "Railgun Effect", are side stories focus on the girl co-protagonist or secondary female characters like danmachi did with oratoria, Hidan no Aria with "AA"
I guess the Japanese public demands these spin-off because there is not enough fanservice in the main series and not much time for the cover girl because the series is 90% monopolized by the male protagonist.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:53 am Reply with quote
As someone who's an anime-only participant in the franchise, the potential problem that I see here is that Miyuki is, honestly, not that interesting a character on her own. She has a lovely character design but doesn't seem to have an identity beyond fawning over the male lead, unlike, say, Mikoto Misaka or Ais Wallenstein in their respective franchises. I just can't see this being worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
As someone who's an anime-only participant in the franchise, the potential problem that I see here is that Miyuki is, honestly, not that interesting a character on her own. She has a lovely character design but doesn't seem to have an identity beyond fawning over the male lead, unlike, say, Mikoto Misaka or Ais Wallenstein in their respective franchises. I just can't see this being worth watching.

On the other hand, it could be an opportunity to develop a character that hasn’t received much development in the main series (speaking also as an anime only). I don’t know why they would bother making a whole series around her if they didn’t at least try to make her a more interesting character. Maybe you could sustain a short without that, but I agree that she couldn’t pull a series by herself as she is now, at least in anime form.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Rob19ny wrote:
Niyari wrote:

Oh there's more than enough material. Even with this season way less than half of the material has been covered.

Aside from the article stating that the main story ended.... I know (link). lol

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3151486
T.Silver

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Luckily its not just Miyuki who gets more attention other characters like Honoka and Shizuku get additional screentime. Miyuki in fact is a very weak character on her own even in the books, but even with Yuutousei, it doesn't improve much of anything for her as her character is fully dependent on her chemistry and relationship with Tatsuya. The good Yuutousei offers is what it does with some of the lesser characters of the series and even adding some interesting brand new ones from other schools come the NSC.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:40 pm Reply with quote
T.Silver wrote:
Luckily its not just Miyuki who gets more attention other characters like Honoka and Shizuku get additional screentime. Miyuki in fact is a very weak character on her own even in the books, but even with Yuutousei, it doesn't improve much of anything for her as her character is fully dependent on her chemistry and relationship with Tatsuya. The good Yuutousei offers is what it does with some of the lesser characters of the series and even adding some interesting brand new ones from other schools come the NSC.

This honestly isn't sparking much enthusiasm in me, as I find a lot of the supporting characters so uninteresting that I probably couldn't name more than a couple of them. Honestly, Lina is probably the most interesting character to appear so far.

But I'll at least give it a try when it comes around. Maybe one of the new characters will pique my interest enough to watch it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2