• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Updates to HTML5 Manga Reader

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blanchimont

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:56 am Reply with quote
About time. Isn't Flash blocked by default in most browsers by now?
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:12 am Reply with quote
Blanchimont wrote:

Adobe has said for years that they are officially ending support for Flash at the end of this year, so no site should be using Flash after this coming Friday.

(Don’t get me wrong; I’m under no illusions this will actually be the case, but good on Crunchyroll for righting the ship before the deadlne, albeit just barely.)

I’ve said this before, but Crunchyroll Manga has always struck me as strange. It doesn’t seem to be much of a priority, it doesn’t get mentioned much, and it’s not terribly valuable in its current form. The various series aren’t curated by type, it’s hard to tell when a series is a complete run or just a simulpub to offer a legal EN option before those chapters get collected in full volumes, and the series themselves run the gamut from ultra-popular to utterly obscure (and there’s only about 75-100 of them, so it’s not like it’s trying to be “license all the things” like Cruncyroll’s video streaming service). My running theory is that Crunchyroll fell into ownership of these manga licenses as part of bigger deals and was like, “well, we might as well do something with them.”
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:17 am Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:
Blanchimont wrote:

Adobe has said for years that they are officially ending support for Flash at the end of this year, so no site should be using Flash after this coming Friday.

(Don’t get me wrong; I’m under no illusions this will actually be the case, but good on Crunchyroll for righting the ship before the deadlne, albeit just barely.)

I’ve said this before, but Crunchyroll Manga has always struck me as strange. It doesn’t seem to be much of a priority, it doesn’t get mentioned much, and it’s not terribly valuable in its current form. The various series aren’t curated by type, it’s hard to tell when a series is a complete run or just a simulpub to offer a legal EN option before those chapters get collected in full volumes, and the series themselves run the gamut from ultra-popular to utterly obscure (and there’s only about 75-100 of them, so it’s not like it’s trying to be “license all the things” like Cruncyroll’s video streaming service). My running theory is that Crunchyroll fell into ownership of these manga licenses as part of bigger deals and was like, “well, we might as well do something with them.”

Gotta agree with you there. I've felt for a long time that it would be phenomenal if they gave their manga side even a third of the attention they do the anime side. There are a few series I've followed (Tales of Wedding Rings, was where I finished Fairy Tail).

As for the Flash player thing, I know that Google Chrome has a banner across the top of the page for most of the year when you access a site that is using flash, warning you that flash won't be supported after the 31st. Wouldn't be surprised to see stories peppering social media on the 1st about people unable to access some site or another because the site hasn't switched out yet and the browser simply won't let it run.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:13 am Reply with quote
Lately I only use the manga app to read the Final Fantasy Lost Stranger and Genshin Impact. Wish they would continue the Legend of Onikirimaru and GTO. I still prefer to read in print so I only check up on it every other month or so.
Gamen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:44 am Reply with quote
They've had the HTML5 reader in beta for literally years, so I assume this really means that it'll default to the HTML5 version, it'll no longer say it's in beta and have a link to go back to the Flash version, and it'll stop randomly ignoring my preference and switching back to the Flash version.
ErikaD.D

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 12:57 pm Reply with quote
I recently heard that Adobe Flash Player will be gone next week and although it's off-topic a bit, that means most old (and childhood) computer games with Flash Player will be inaccessible without it. Sad.

Last edited by ErikaD.D on Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekL1963
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Now if only they'll fix the manga reader web page and the Android app... Both of which have been broken for years.

But I won't hold my breath. And I hold out faint hope that even if "fixed" that they'll be functional and useful.
tsog

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:14 pm Reply with quote
Remember how long the HTML5 video player took? And how they switched to the new queue system and made it worse with vague promises to fix it soon?

I have to admit (hindsight 2020!), at this point it was pretty clear for years that the owners were doing the bare minimum to keep CR running so they could cash out via a sale.
Peebs

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:26 pm Reply with quote
I have started to use their website to read titles 'cause the app for iPad doesn't work. I did wonder what was gonna happen when Flash became obsolete next year. I truly expected to not be able to access anything manga related on their site.
azabaro
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:18 pm Reply with quote
ErikaD.D wrote:
I recently heard that Adobe Flash Player will be gone next week and although it's off-topic a bit, that means most old (and childhood) computer games with Flash Player will be inaccessible without it. Sad.

There's been a lot of talk about projects to archive and make Flash content available - the Internet Archive is handling that for a number of Flash games as well as stuff like Homestar Runner, there's the Flash Game Archive at http://www.flashgamearchive.com, I've heard that Newsgrounds has built some sort of standalone Flash player (https://www.newgrounds.com/flash/player)...
Agent355

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:30 am Reply with quote
Crunchyroll manga will be relevant as long as they have Attack on Titan (and To Your Eternity, but that’s because I think everyone should check TYE out!)
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:23 am Reply with quote
Peebs wrote:
I have started to use their website to read titles 'cause the app for iPad doesn't work. I did wonder what was gonna happen when Flash became obsolete next year. I truly expected to not be able to access anything manga related on their site.

The Crunchyroll Manga iPad app was crashing for me at launch (after a long period of not using it), and deleting / reinstalling the app fixed the problem for me. Maybe try that?
mdo7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:39 am Reply with quote
I never used Crunchyroll manga nor do I subscribe to their manga service. But reading this story, I'm amazed that they just switched to HTML5 at the last minute, what took them so long and why would CR do this at the last minute? I mean didn't they get this message from 2017 from Adobe about ending Flash support permanently in late 2020 (which is this year). Between 2017 until now, Adobe (and the tech world) has warned and reminded people that Flash will no longer be supported after 2020, and tell web users to transition to HTML5 (which I know many of them did) since a lot of them know Flash support will end. And Crunchyroll became the last holdout to switch to HTML5. I do agree with many users that this last minute transition was reckless and borderline dangerous, and I think Crunchyroll should've done the HTML5 transition 2 months ago instead of last minute.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1