• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Back Arrow (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 2:05 am Reply with quote

Back Arrow (TV)

Genres: action, fantasy
Themes: mecha

Plot Summary: A mysterious man who goes by Back Arrow appears, equipped only with the knowledge that he is from beyond the Wall. To the people of Edger village and Lingalind, this comes as a surprise, as the Wall is the guiding force and protection of their lives. Back Arrow sets out on a journey to seek the truth, all while battling with himself.

First episode comes out today.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Saw the first episode on Funimation just now. It was...strange and had more a combination of sci-fi, drama, comedy, etc. For one thing, it's hard to take Back Arrow (the main protagonist) seriously when he's nude for almost half the episode.

Arrow also seems like an airhead but isn't afraid to take risks already from this episode. The mech designs looks unique and there's a lot of potential there. The other characters haven't impressed me much yet including Elsha. Hopefully later episodes will change my mind. Definitely a strange start for this anime.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jroa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Stark700 wrote:
Episode 1

For one thing, it's hard to take Back Arrow (the main protagonist) seriously when he's nude for almost half the episode.

I think that's...almost completely intentional. I loved the comedic timing.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (final)

Okay, a spoiler explanation of the world setting that got explained in the last episode: They are all something like AI inside of a life preserving machine for the purpose of creating "conviction" that is being used to sustain the life of a newborn baby that was the sole survivor of some event 2,000 years earlier. The show ended with the main characters apparently getting permission to try and contact the baby's home world so that it can be rescued. I am not even sure if the main characters realise that they are just programming compared to another world of flesh and blood.

It is not hard to see how this show was trying to do a Gurren Lagann thing, with its cast of quirky characters, transforming robots, finding out that the world has fail safes if it gets too advanced or something to cull it down, where it gets cosmic by the end. But I also think that it was not incredibly as successful as it wanted to be. The main characters kind of felt like they tried too hard and not really exciting, the baseline normal characters were as interesting as stale bread and I don't know why they bothered showing them as much as they did, and many other characters just kind of came across as evil annoying. And I think that my general interpretation is that the characters and such all feel like some early 2000s anime, that it is sort of retro, but didn't really do anything with that which could have validated the choice.

Some parts could be interesting, like perhaps the weird singing chorus worked a couple times, but mostly came across as trying too hard with one idea it had. Similarly, I still don't get Zetsu, where his motivation seemed to be because he realised how bad colonialism is with Rekka taking over his homeland, but then takes part in that same colonialism and doesn't understand why people would rebel. In general I don't understand how we were meant to sympathise with the awful people of Rekka at any point, especially the emperor. Rudolph's motivations don't really make sense if you think about it, since his explained mission at the end was that he wants to keep a status quo, but everything he did in the past was to create chaos and change that would bring the end. Following what we learn of his mission, you would have thought he would do something about the Emperor if he was the biggest problem in the system, but he purposefully tried to turn the queen into also a problem.

My rating for the show will be Not really good (4/10) but not a total waste of time, because I think that is a good description of how I felt from it. I will admit that I really think that it was a bad case of just not being to my tastes, that I was maybe a bit bitter that something that got the resources that it did, which I will admit will be unfair to those who might find it their jam. I will though give points to that sound effect when they equip their mecha armband, that stayed pretty good, even if the whole thing got a bit too extra when you have a character turning into a giant one. Because apparently his conviction was standing behind other strong characters, as one who was mostly portrayed as a kind of pitiful person that had to keep feeding his own ego for being important like being assigned an role like leader as what seemed like a joke as someone who didn't really know anything.
bonbonsrus

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:48 am Reply with quote
I’m glad I wasn’t the only one for whom this show started nosediving and never seemed to recover…or even plane off…
As it got weirder and weirder and more into itself, my ability to care enough to try to follow it closely waned highly…by the end I was just like why am I watching.
So glad it’s over, 4/10 sounds about right
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:58 am Reply with quote
bonbonsrus wrote:
As it got weirder and weirder and more into itself,

So, is this a common reaction? As I think it was that into itself that especially bothered me, like it thought that it was a better show than it was, but it was not a Gurren Lagann or Kill la Kill.

The pretty boy village came across as really self-indulgent, despite I thinking there was a chance there to do something.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1