• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Higurashi: When They Cry (reboot) (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Episode 5...
ACxS wrote:
4:

It's really difficult to explain or discuss what happened (or what's really going on) in this arc without spoiling, so for the sake of those who didn't watch the original series, all I will say is this: we're looking at a very different show. Many things that happened in the old series didn't happen here, so in the end these are two very different stories. I can see why the director said those who didn't watch the old series can watch this one on a clean slate. Those who have watched the old series might find be surprised by how different things went down this time.

Now we're on to the next arc, and from the title, we know it's not going to be the same as the one in the original series. The title alone is apparently different.

As I was saying, Episode 5, exactly what I expected it to be. Is this what they're going to be doing, untwisting the previous series? There's precisely one point to this story but if it can't be what it is then what would it be?

Oh... they're going to divert to the answer arc and then... no, they put this ending on the first one so

spoiler[Shion's going to kill Mion in front of Keiichi?] Kill two birds with one stone? I was hoping they'd skip the question part because it has only one point and it's already in the opener.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2020 9:34 am Reply with quote
5:

"Ohayou gozaimasu nano desu." Christ, that cringed.

Hmm, so far so good. Like the original series, this arc focuses on the Sonozaki sisters and told from the perspective of Keiichi. So far, no deviation in the plot... so far.

Is the show going to take creative liberty by going a different route in the ending? I'm not sure, but it definitely can. Not just because the show's director already said from the onset that this series will be an alternate retelling, but more evidently because of the difference in arc title: in the original it's called Watanagashi-hen (Cotton Drifting Arc). Here? Watadamashi-hen (Cotton Deceiving Arc). Not only is the arc not obliged to follow the original, it's even somewhat hinting that Keiichi (or you the viewers) are going to be deceived.

Animegomaniac wrote:
Episode 5...
spoiler[Shion's going to kill Mion in front of Keiichi?] Kill two birds with one stone? I was hoping they'd skip the question part because it has only one point and it's already in the opener.

We just don't know. Like I said, maybe it's better if we've never watched the original series à la DuskyPredator. Just take this show as it is, and play detective with it.
echen_taichi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:12 am Reply with quote
my head aches watching episode 15
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:19 am Reply with quote
There were a lot of things from people having their heads chopped off, and people having their skulls caved in.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Episode 16:

"Why did I ever hate Hinamizawa"

Uh... maybe all the death and murder?

I can't tell if we're supposed to be seeing Rika's "epiphany" as a tragic outcome of abuse (which is how it feels to me) or if we're supposed to actually see it as a positive conclusion.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:01 am Reply with quote
It did kind of come off like someone who was rationalising abuse done to her.

An extended disembowelment scene was quite something for the show to put the audience through.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:57 am Reply with quote
Gou, Episode 24 (season finale)

So this season is over, and there will be continuation sometime in the future.

For show that started with some of the visceral stuff even in the first arc, it kind of feels like it just got increasingly heavy as it went on, with other parts of the show at times feeling a bit lighter. Perhaps it was at its peak heavy during the Rika getting increasingly into total despair, where we got several very graphic scenes close together. It also kind of felt like the Satoko focused stuff that showed her life only becoming worse after escaping loops, that got even more heavy that she would be lead into unintentional on Rika's a downward spiral for her friend. A little ambiguous in whether Rika held some responsibility over the element where she made a promise to always be there to help Satoko, but eventually would abandon her. Rika said that she would have done something if Satoko said something, but it also kind of looked like Satoko characteristic pride would make her unable for Satoko to ask Rika like she is expecting. So Rika was in effect kind of abandoning Satoko, while being able to keep a reasonable deniability that she was not. That felt hard.

As much as I did have some morbid curiosity for parts, I can also say that it did at times feel like a bit much, and we are only half way through. And while I can come to terms with certain parts that were made harder for me to understand by not having seen the original shows, that this was kind of acting as a sequel of, I do think that I can forgive myself. I can like some dark stuff, morbid curiosity, but am really weak to other things, and parts of this sort of show can drain a bit from me, which I suspect would be the same with the original. And going back to watch an older show rather than a currently airing one, which could be a bit hard to sit through, I don't think would be worth what it would require.

Anyway, my rating for this first but actually third season, it would probably be Decent (6/10), I did not lose my time, but parts gained can also be matched against ones lost if you are weak to certain elements of violence, especially involving kids, and high melodrama. This just at the moment seems like the right rating for me.
ACxS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:25 am Reply with quote
24, final:

6 / 10.

I was wondering what the point is for this franchise. The main series ended ages ago, and I was perfectly happy that it ended. So to bring it back to this current age and give a different spin to what happened afterwards did make me curious. More than half of the series was telling you "you think it's going to be the same as the original series, but it's not".

Finally we learned that it was Satoko and some other goddess Eua who are behind the new vicious cycle. Why? Because Satoko went to some Marimite-inspired school, got jailed underground—the whole orange jumpsuit and dungeon thing are hilarious to me—and experienced a type of "Top 10 Anime Betrayals" firsthand.

You know what this series reminds me of? Madoka Magica's third movie, when Homura became the villain. I remember feeling "oh god, why did the story have to take a bleak turn like this, and not just leave it at the happy ending?". Because honestly, I was perfectly fine with the main series and just move on. Same here.

I'm not going to follow the next series. To me the story ended a long time ago, and there's no need to bring it back. I'm moving on again.
MPAndonee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:16 pm Reply with quote
Since I'm new in discussing this series, can someone point to me where to go to find a summary discussion of the original series and how this ties into it?

This is the first time I watched this series (the new version) and I was completely impressed, especially when everything switched from Rika to Satoko.

I still don't understand why Mion (or is it Shion) carries a gun?
I still don't understand what's going on with the various military factions?

Can someone point me to somewhere to find answers?
Mencor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 6:07 pm Reply with quote
@MPAndonee

I can say that the english version of the soundnovels are on sale on steam, the quality of the translation is reportedly better then the original english release. In my opinion the soundnovels are the best way to experience the story.

Don't realy know where you can find a neat summary of events. There is a wiki https://whentheycry.fandom.com/wiki/Higurashi_no_Naku_Koro_Ni_Wiki but I must say that seems to be the worst way to experience the story.

The second season/ half of the sound novels explains the who, what and why when it comes to the military. I could try to give a quick rundown but it would just be a rehash of the information already provided in Gou.
As for Mions gun, spoiler[ it's not a proper one.][/spoiler]

In case you are still under the impression that it is a remake, the hundred years of looping that Rika talks of in ep2 are the first two seasons of the anime and the original 8 volumes of the sound novel.
MPAndonee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Thank you!

That helps a lot.

I'll just wait for the continuation coming this summer.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
Higurashi Sotsu is today and it looks like we're getting a 15-episode series with back-to-back episodes for its premiere!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 10:46 pm Reply with quote
The first couple of episodes of the new season seem to be seeing the same events from the previous season's episodes, just from a different point of view.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 11:52 am Reply with quote
OH MY GOSH.

Sotsu's first two episodes were SO much better than Gou's. Wow. I was not bored for one second! Did they get a new director? Just...the pacing was perfect.

Kinda feel bad for Rina....she didn't really do anything wrong...especially when she asked Rena "can you tell your dad to stop seeing me."

Also I think they increased the size of Rena's cleaver by like three times? Laughing

Props off to her seiyuu for that maniacal laughter. Girl sounds completely bat$*** crazy.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Season 2, Episode 15 (finale)

Quite a lot to pretty much come to a conclusion that maybe they will just be better not to go to high school together, and in the grand scheme of things a few years apart would just be miniscule rather than torturing each other. That if they are that important to each other it will survive that, and if not, it wasn't worth everything else.

For a rating, I will give it also a Decent (6/10). There is a lot more I could probably say, but honestly I don't have the energy to go back over all the gruesome stuff. From gaslighting, murder, corpses of children, and everything else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2