• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Quintessential Quintuplets ∬

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Yotsuba, meanwhile, is kind of getting the short-end of the stick, which seems par for the course from season 1. It's not that her whole drama with the track team is bad, but it's one of those sitcom stories that could easily be solved by one conversation, and the resolution is very self-evident. It's the kind of conflict you might use for introducing a character, rather than further developing one who's been here since episode 1

I actually can't entirely disagree with this, and honestly this is a result of the only major cut so far being a pair of very Yotsuba-centric chapters that add a bit more context to her situation here, and why it's not necessarily as simple as "Yotsuba can't say no lol!" Chapters 37 and 38 if you're curious. The rest of the anime has been like 95% faithful otherwise

I just hope this isn't the start of a trend for her this season. She's my second favorite quint, possibly my favorite depending on the day, so I'd hate for her to look flatter (figuratively) compared to her sisters for the anime-onlies.
BenDTU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Hiss first meeting with “Rena” changing him for the better or inspiring him works well for character backstory, but turning your lead's eventual love story into a foregone conclusion is way less interesting than letting it inform his actions as he grows.

Probably the most baffling change from the manga to be honest. In the manga it was never clear that the girl from Fuutarou's childhood actually was who he ended up with, but here’s outright stated that she is for some baffling reason.

Last edited by BenDTU on Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:09 pm Reply with quote
BenDTU wrote:
Quote:
His first meeting with “Rena” changing him for the better or inspiring him works well for character backstory, but turning your lead's eventual love story into a foregone conclusion is way less interesting than letting it inform his actions as he grows.

Probably the most baffling change from the manga to be honest. In the manga it was never clear that the girl from Fuutarou's childhood actually was who he ended up with, but here’s outright stated that she is for some baffling reason.

Did...did the anime ever definitively say that?

I think Nick is just stating a hypothetical.
BenDTU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 8:18 pm Reply with quote
That was the impression I got from the first trailer - “I was having a dream about the day we first met” whilst showing the younger Rena.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:28 pm Reply with quote
I liked season 1, especially Nino, but I decided to not watch season 2 because the visuals took a nosedive. Season 1 didn't have amazing visuals, but it was not as stiff as season 2. I could be mistaken, but season seems to also use CG.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:05 am Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
I liked season 1, especially Nino, but I decided to not watch season 2 because the visuals took a nosedive. Season 1 didn't have amazing visuals, but it was not as stiff as season 2. I could be mistaken, but season seems to also use CG.

Honestly the show looks much better, like, objectively. Season 1 was riddled with horribly off-model shots and frames and was downright ugly a lot of the time. By the third episode character designs were already melting

The animation for S2 certainly is by no means perfect, or even great, but it's at least consistent. the character designs also just look better
NobodysDawn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:33 pm Reply with quote
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Honestly the show looks much better, like, objectively. Season 1 was riddled with horribly off-model shots and frames and was downright ugly a lot of the time. By the third episode character designs were already melting

The animation for S2 certainly is by no means perfect, or even great, but it's at least consistent. the character designs also just look better

I was worried about the animation when they announced what studio would be taking over, but I will admit that it is much better than I was expecting. Not great, but not the serious step down I was expecting either. My only big complaint animation-wise (to be fair this could have been an issue in season one that I just don’t remember, although I don’t think so) is that sometimes the girls’ legs look unnaturally skinny compared to the rest of their bodies.
ThrowMeOut

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 9:58 am Reply with quote
I'm trying to warm up to Nino because I'm pretty sure she's Endgame and I have to accept that (I have, miraculously, remained unspoiled so don't correct me if I'm wrong), but goddamn she's just so... unpleasant. She's nasty to absolutely everyone, and then she decides to drug Futaro and leave him unconscious and vulnerable in a public place? ...okay.

Please try harder, Nino.
BenDTU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
maybe the simultaneous conclusion of Yotsuba and Nino's stories played better there, but here it definitely feels like we could have stood to have a Part 4 next week

Even in the manga, Yotsuba's role in this arc felt pretty tacked on, and Fuutarou quitting felt pretty sudden. But manga Seven Goodbyes was also 13 chapters long from memory, so cramming it into 3 episodes has compressed it even further, and they skipped over basically everything that wasn’t completely necessary.

I have my issues with the series as a whole based on things that happen later in the series, but at this point it was firing on all cylinders and IMO deserves better than what it’s getting in the anime. At this point it feels like they’re gonna cram 3 major arcs into a single season, which makes me wonder if they’re just gonna tell everyone to go read the manga to see what happens at that point.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:19 pm Reply with quote
BenDTU wrote:
Quote:
maybe the simultaneous conclusion of Yotsuba and Nino's stories played better there, but here it definitely feels like we could have stood to have a Part 4 next week

Fuutarou quitting felt pretty sudden.

Not especially. Futaro doesn't take failure super well and, while this was skipped in the anime, spoiler[he had just got done telling off their dad for being so hands-off and completely oblivious to their troubles. After that, I can see why he wouldn't think he'd be allowed to keep working as their tutor]
BenDTU

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Yeah that’s fair. It just felt like one too many things to cram into an arc which was already pretty full.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2021 11:13 pm Reply with quote
Bleh, I hate the hair cutting trope. At least this time it was justified in story.

Quote:
The haircut is a little cliché, and I'd be lying if I said I didn't prefer full power moth-girl Nino over the new model, but she still makes it work.

Agreed.

I hope she doesn't keep it short. In a quick search doing my best to avoid spoilers spoiler[it doesn't look like anyone changes their hair going forward though :/]
TheWonderOfYou

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 5:53 am Reply with quote
ThrowMeOut wrote:
I'm trying to warm up to Nino because I'm pretty sure she's Endgame and I have to accept that (I have, miraculously, remained unspoiled so don't correct me if I'm wrong), but goddamn she's just so... unpleasant. She's nasty to absolutely everyone, and then she decides to drug Futaro and leave him unconscious and vulnerable in a public place? ...okay.

Please try harder, Nino.

Season 2 is not gonna adapt the rest of the manga, while Season 3 is almost impossible to happen considering they are gonna release a VN the same day Season 2 ends, so you can continue in the alternate VN and choose your own ending.

As for the actual winner of the manga, in retrospection the majority of the readers find the execution piss poor. You know it's bad, when reddit speaks of it dissapointingly, negatively in hindsight. It's up to you if you want to read the manga, but chances say you will also feel that something is missing to say the least. The author admitted that he burned out of the work, artwork took a nosedive, so yeah, dissapointment.

Regarding Nino's behavior, I agree. The author realized she was the least favorite character of the readers confirmed by a poll as well, so this arc marks the start of Nino shilling on the audience with Nino changing her behavior around Fuutarou 180°. Somehow this should make Nino the character with the most development according to Nino stans, which is laughable. I can't help, but notice Nicholas also have a healthy bias towards her even though it's quite untrue or even hypocritical when he plays the other girls down.
Covnam

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess that clears up the apartment vs apartment complex question from last week. They definitely can only afford a single (though seemingly quite large) apartment if they aren't spending their father's money anymore.
Anyway, I wonder how this arc will turn out considering it has a similar base line of "do better on your tests or consequences!" just like it's done previously.
ThatGuyWhoLikesThings

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:09 pm Reply with quote
TheWonderOfYou wrote:
ThrowMeOut wrote:

Please try harder, Nino.

As for the actual winner of the manga, in retrospection the majority of the readers find the execution piss poor. You know it's bad, when reddit speaks of it dissapointingly, negatively in hindsight

Would you be appreciated if you didn't make up nonsense like this, speaking as someone that actually frequented the quints subreddit during the final chapters. Thanks.

I can't speak for whether it's true that Negi-sensei was a bit burnt out by the end, but this I know is objectively untrue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6