• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cosplayer's Picture Wins World Press Photo Award

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arcwave

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote
Cool! Who is she cosplaying as? Anyone know?
CitizenGeek

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:17 am Reply with quote
Arcwave wrote:
Cool! Who is she cosplaying as? Anyone know?

Yeah, I have no idea either. Anyone know?
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:24 am Reply with quote
I haven't the foggiest.
Anyone know? Laughing
Nenena

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:55 am Reply with quote
It looks like a character from Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. But it would be a very, very loose interpretation of a Pichi Pichi Pitch character.

I'm really thinking "mermaid," but PPP isn't the only mermaid anime out there. It's just the most recent and popular one that I know of.

Maybe she's dressing as a Disney character? A lot of cosplay competitions (outside of North America) don't distinguish between Japanese anime, American animation, and other sources of animation.

Or she could be a game character. Wasn't there a dating sim with mermaids released in Japan last year? She could also be from Chinese, Korean, or other media.

ETA: Oh yeah, forgot about Seto no Hanayome!

Last edited by Nenena on Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:58 am Reply with quote
Nenena wrote:
It looks like a character from Mermaid Melody Pichi Pichi Pitch. But it would be a very, very loose interpretation of a Pichi Pichi Pitch character.

I'm really thinking "mermaid," but PPP isn't the only mermaid anime out there. It's just the most recent and popular one that I know of.

Maybe she's dressing as a Disney character? A lot of cosplay competitions (outside of North America) don't distinguish between Japanese anime, American animation, and other sources of animation.

I also thought Mermaid, but couldn't see the actual character.
Well, there's 'Seto no Hanayome' which is a recent mermaid show, but I don't recognise her from that... I've only seen halfway through that series though.
You're right, it could be a western animation. It's funny how possibilities like that slip the mind...
daxomni

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Wow, I was really, really... unimpressed. I'm not any kind of cosplay expert and I've only seen maybe a few hundred photos but this didn't do anything for me at all.
stormcrow22

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:10 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I was kind of expecting something a bit grander too.

My cousin's a photojournalist for the New York Times, so I want to see if I can get her professional opinion on why this is an award-winning photograph. If nothing else, maybe it'll help improve my own photography skills.
feytaline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote
I don't see how that won an award for professional photography. Subject matter aside. The composition is weak. The lighting is decent, but the coloring is completely vague, washed out. You don't have to be a photographer or a cosplayer to be a critic--anyone can be (which is why there are so many bad critics, I guess, arguably, I could be one, too--critics of critics? lol.)

It's not about the girl's costume (which I'm still going ??? at.) The only thing that impresses me about this photograph is how she captured the girl's nervousness. But that's just luck. I've seen people who just happen to pick up a camera get shots with emotions like that, that look better than this carefully staged one.

But then again, after seeing Kyle Cassidy's work in my LJ nearly everyday... I guess I'm spoiled?

I mean, you want to see good cosplay photography, try Lionel, for starters...
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
So basically judging form that linked picture this girl won by showing off her tits by basically just wearing a bra and nothing else for a top. How original of her. Rolling Eyes Oh but wait!!!!! It sparkles!!!!!!! Shocked Oh shit, that changes everything! Since we can't see the top of her head maybe she had some sort of alien dog on top of her head and that's why she won. If that's all it took to win than there's a couple thousand girls at Otakon alone that should get the award too.
adam_omega

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:13 am Reply with quote
If you take a look at the other pictures in the gallery, then you should get an idea why that picture was picked. They're all National Geographic worthy pictures. They don't feel staged. They actually look like something you could lift up your camera one moment and snap.
Nenena

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:59 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
So basically judging form that linked picture this girl won by showing off her tits by basically just wearing a bra and nothing else for a top. How original of her. Rolling Eyes Oh but wait!!!!! It sparkles!!!!!!! Shocked Oh shit, that changes everything! Since we can't see the top of her head maybe she had some sort of alien dog on top of her head and that's why she won. If that's all it took to win than there's a couple thousand girls at Otakon alone that should get the award too.

Um, it wasn't the girl who won an award for her cosplay. It was the photograph of her that won an award, for photography. Because it's a damn amazing photograph.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
Nenena wrote:
Psycho 101 wrote:

Um, it wasn't the girl who won an award for her cosplay. It was the photograph of her that won an award, for photography. Because it's a damn amazing photograph.

Right, sure it is. You could go and pick up a lingerie catalog and find basically the same photo. You want an amazing photograph I'll get my friend to post some of the shots he's taken of bugs and flowers in his mother's garden with his digital Lyca. The bugs and flowers look far better then that lady does and they certainly aren't staged either. Sorry but I've seen too many truly amazing photographs over the years to be impressed by that one.
coldspider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Chiaki777

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
It's a mix of natural and at the same time looks very "studio-like." Definitely a good photo, but I'm not very impressed. Is this all people could come up with? I really feel that something much more natural and expressive is out there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1