• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Khara Warns of Unauthorized Recording, Uploading of Final Evangelion Film

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kicksville

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of hearing accounts of people who watched End of Evangelion the first time from camcorder recorded bootlegs.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 9:57 am Reply with quote
If they don't like the leaks then don't release the movie!
anstar019

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:16 am Reply with quote
I just saw a thread on 4chan yesterday, someone was joking about giving a camrip bounty a 50 dollar price tag, some of the important scenes already have rips available but the full movie isn't available even in camrips.

I guess someone from Khara was lurking in the 4chan thread.
Kaylee Smerbeck

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:41 am Reply with quote
10 years really
Thespacemaster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:50 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

This has got to be the most idiotic quote ever.

If they don't release the movie, they have no profits, no profits means you cant pay the people who worked on it.

The people who leaked it early are robbing the money for the workers that made it. How do you expect people to be compensated for than? Sheesh. >.>
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:53 am Reply with quote
Panino Manino wrote:

Agreed. If they released it on streaming services then everyone could be able to watch it day 1 from the comfort of their own homes. These companies need to realize that releasing movies in the theater is not going to be sustainable in the future. If you have a dual release of theater and home releases, people will still go to the theaters but also people will be able to enjoy it at home. In regards to the whole piracy argument and leaking it all over the internet, there will always be people who will go the legal route. I think Netflix and other streaming services have proven that. Anybody who is downloading off of a torrent site or whatever, probably wouldn't have paid for it to begin with.
SamusekTDS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:10 am Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Anybody who is downloading off of a torrent site or whatever, probably wouldn't have paid for it to begin with.

I have this "friend"... they downloaded every film as it came out, including (as someone mentioned anecdotally) watching a fansub/camrip of End of Eva oh-so-many-years-ago acquired over Napster or DC++ or one of those pre-bittorrent deals where you really had to work to get the file... and yet has bought every movie and series (some multiple times) on DVD and/or Bluray. They even have an Eva Tamagotchi and some little non-bootleg plush toys, etc. And this "friend" will unashamedly do the same with this one, totally guilt free. Good day to you all.
relena4

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:58 am Reply with quote
SamusekTDS wrote:
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Anybody who is downloading off of a torrent site or whatever, probably wouldn't have paid for it to begin with.

I have this "friend"... they downloaded every film as it came out, including (as someone mentioned anecdotally) watching a fansub/camrip of End of Eva oh-so-many-years-ago acquired over Napster or DC++ or one of those pre-bittorrent deals where you really had to work to get the file... and yet has bought every movie and series (some multiple times) on DVD and/or Bluray. They even have an Eva Tamagotchi and some little non-bootleg plush toys, etc. And this "friend" will unashamedly do the same with this one, totally guilt free. Good day to you all.

Your "friend" is one in a thousand people though
YoshiChao

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:31 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Panino Manino wrote:

Agreed. If they released it on streaming services then everyone could be able to watch it day 1 from the comfort of their own homes. These companies need to realize that releasing movies in the theater is not going to be sustainable in the future. If you have a dual release of theater and home releases, people will still go to the theaters but also people will be able to enjoy it at home. In regards to the whole piracy argument and leaking it all over the internet, there will always be people who will go the legal route. I think Netflix and other streaming services have proven that.

Unfortunately for Netflix people, having the moving premier and stay in cinemas over Netflix will net them way more money

If they had it on Netflix it’d be a one-and-done purchase, whereas if it’s in theatres, people will pay money each time to watch it again and again.

Surely you haven’t forgotten that the recent Demon Slayer movie is now the highest grossing Anime film in Japan, and surely you don’t think it sold a ticket a person in the populace. Premiering anime in theatre is just a thing Japan does and always has done, they’re not going to stop it just cos of Netflix popping off as well as it has.
kuma991

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:35 pm Reply with quote
SamusekTDS wrote:

Oh my god, what's the Moon like? I assume your moral high ground has reached it.
SamusekTDS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:00 pm Reply with quote
kuma991 wrote:

Oh my god, what's the Moon like? I assume your moral high ground has reached it.

Not trying to offend, I just don't like broad generalities. And I thought the arguments about p2p here were somewhat reductive, especially on the forum of a newssite of an industry effectively built on p2p and the like.

Several manga publishers had record years last year, despite scanlation and p2p being at as high a volume as they've ever been. Not to mention quantity of content being produced and mainstream-ified (quality is another story, but don't get me started on that!). Truly amazing for someone old enough to remember when his mind was blown that a local video store was actually renting out Bubblegum Crisis.

The real issue is that the revenue stream has changed. The good old days of largely physical media sold at massive prices and volume to rental chains as a secondary market is no more, replaced by streaming services paying pennies on the dollar. And so on.

So the arguments are not really taking the whole picture into consideration. I think there are certainly counter-arguments and examples to be made for other perspectives than mine. I just wanted to throw some doubt in there.

See? I still visit Earth from time to time. The moon's just where I keep all my stuff, right next to the Staff of Longinus.
Panino Manino

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Anyway, my one series problem with this history is that Khara is losing ZERO IENES with the camrips. ZERO ( ¥0.0)
All the people that watched, is looking for or wish to see a camrip are people that are desperate to give money to them! Why the japanese still can't understand something so simple? Why make the rest of the world wait months and months to watched their movies? Even when the movie comes out in BD discs they try to prevent people for outside of the island from buy it.
Morons.
Of the movie appears on some torrent I'll get it just to help share it.

And by the way, forget about "Evangelion", this movie is just another one long Anno's struggle with mental health.
jdnation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:29 pm Reply with quote
karyuudo0127 wrote:
Agreed. If they released it on streaming services then everyone could be able to watch it day 1 from the comfort of their own homes. These companies need to realize that releasing movies in the theater is not going to be sustainable in the future. If you have a dual release of theater and home releases, people will still go to the theaters but also people will be able to enjoy it at home. In regards to the whole piracy argument and leaking it all over the internet, there will always be people who will go the legal route. I think Netflix and other streaming services have proven that. Anybody who is downloading off of a torrent site or whatever, probably wouldn't have paid for it to begin with.

I know many here are being tongue-in-cheek, but the streaming stuff is actually a long term loss-leader model. It doesn't actually make that much money for anyone other than the platform itself, and even many of them are all currently still in the red overall in the hopes that the investment pays off further down the road. But signs are that it's paying off.

The most revenue is actually generated from theaters, physical releases and other tie-in goods, merchandise, manga and licensing etc. Throwing it onto streaming services is simply to get a few more pennies that are remaining or to aid in the revenue from the other tie-in goods, merchandise, manga and licensing etc. But the only ones making good money on streaming are the most popular ones, the rest languish, and eventually their licenses aren't renewed because not even the streaming service cares to keep them.

So in a way... it is also demonstrable that piracy also helps revenue from the other tie-in goods. merchandise and licensing etc. Until 3-D printing becomes more affordable and easy as paper printing, those girl and robot figures and T-shirts are gonna cost you. So people who pirate, are still a market for other anime goods.

So there is a cost/benefit analysis to all this. But at the end of the day, it's marketing, and theatrical releases are still considered prestige products, and even Netflix research bears this out. They discovered that if a film wasn't in theaters and was made a big deal and went for the awards, nobody cared. Which is why Netflix also does limited theatrical releases of some of its bigger titles now that it spent a lot of money on and they really really want you to see it.

So theaters are still relevant, even to Netflix.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes, thank you for reminding us of basic copyright law, Khara. Good lord, it's like they're trying to speedrun being the most annoying studio around
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2021 4:19 pm Reply with quote
I’m old enough to remember the days when you had to wait months between single DVD volumes just to see the next three episodes and it was like $30 per volume and there was no streaming back then. Even putting aside the ethical issues of downloading anime, leaking clips of the movie is also rude to fans who are trying to avoid spoilers especially when people put spoilers in the thumbnails on YouTube clips to drive up views to get more subscribers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4