• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Reveals Mars Red Anime's English Dub Cast

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gemnist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:06 am Reply with quote
It’s all fun and games until Sean Schemmel is suddenly working with Funimation again.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:14 am Reply with quote
Huh, Schemmel's getting a leading role in something where he isn't Goku? That's interesting.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
doubleO7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:55 am Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:
It’s all fun and games until Sean Schemmel is suddenly working with Funimation again.

Did he distance himself for awhile? I don't recall hearing about anything like that.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:15 am Reply with quote
doubleO7 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

Did he distance himself for awhile? I don't recall hearing about anything like that.

I think its just the fact that Schemmel is rarely in anime outside of Goku these days. His early DBZ roles were filled. He was in Berserk 1997, along with video games like Sonic. However, when you compare to Eric Vale, Chris Sabbat, Monica Rial or any other DBZ cast, he is not seen nearly as often. I think the biggest hurdle is range. The guy can do lots of voices, but most things make him do his Goku voice.
theNightster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:18 am Reply with quote
Schemmel has other roles besides Goku?
Vizo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 3:03 am Reply with quote
They must expect this to do well if we're getting an early release with a simuldub. I hope it does and that we get earlier and more consistent dub releases.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:46 am Reply with quote
Again, Funimation seems to be putting a lot of stock into the hope that Mars Red will be a real hit for them.
Scion Drake

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 6:54 am Reply with quote
Damn surprise to see Sean in this.

Might give it a watch then.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 9:42 am Reply with quote
It's nice to see Sean in something new, but it's also pretty cool to see Zach Aguilar leading his first Funimation dub.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:11 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Huh, Schemmel's getting a leading role in something where he isn't Goku? That's interesting.

The day before I saw this I was thinking about how I couldn't recall hearing him in anything else aside from Dragonball and Berserk.

I wonder whether remote recording prompted it? Recent dubs have had various LA actors that previously recorded little or no other shows with Funimation, which gives me the impression that some of the directors might have seen it as an opportunity to work with actors that normally wouldn't be available.
kamen_otaku81

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Gemnist wrote:

When did Pigs learn how to fly jets?

Seriously, this is a shocker.
Gemnist

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:12 am Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

I think its just the fact that Schemmel is rarely in anime outside of Goku these days. His early DBZ roles were filled. He was in Berserk 1997, along with video games like Sonic. However, when you compare to Eric Vale, Chris Sabbat, Monica Rial or any other DBZ cast, he is not seen nearly as often. I think the biggest hurdle is range. The guy can do lots of voices, but most things make him do his Goku voice.

I think he actually tried doing some larger projects, and that's why he hasn't been around as much. I say this mainly because of the Californian stuff I've seen him do like Lucario in Smash and the Box of Truth in Star vs. But of course, those roles are incredibly small, so he probably felt he wasn't going to be the next Steven Blum or Troy Baker and decided to fall back on anime roles (hope that's not the case though, he deserves all the success in the world).
KitKat1721

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 5:08 am Reply with quote
So I checked out the dub, and its honestly a super solid premiere. Jad Saxton did a great job directing everyone and there are some stellar performances from Ciaran Strange (who actually is British, did not know this) and Dawn M. Bennett especially (particularly the storytelling scene).

Quote:
I think the biggest hurdle is range. The guy can do lots of voices, but most things make him do his Goku voice.

I flat out didn't recognize him here at all, so its worth checking out for that alone.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:34 am Reply with quote
KitKat1721 wrote:
So I checked out the dub, and its honestly a super solid premiere. Jad Saxton did a great job directing everyone and there are some stellar performances from Ciaran Strange (who actually is British, did not know this) and Dawn M. Bennett especially (particularly the storytelling scene).

Quote:
I think the biggest hurdle is range. The guy can do lots of voices, but most things make him do his Goku voice.

I flat out didn't recognize him here at all, so its worth checking out for that alone.

I honestly kept thinking "I know it's not Crispin Freemen but..." and wondering who it actually was led me here.
DisneyXAnimefan95

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
#901749 wrote:
doubleO7 wrote:
Gemnist wrote:

The last anime Sean Schemmel did that wasn't related to Dragon Ball or Pokemon was Pop Team Epic! 2-3 years ago, but yeah, I'm honestly perplexed that even though he's been living in Los Angeles since 2013, I'm surprised Sean hasn't done any anime projects beyond voicing Goku in the Dragon Ball franchise and recently some bit parts in Pokemon Journey's.

I think the reason I haven't seen Sean appear in any anime dubs lately may have to do of the payscale and not having freedom which would explain why he's been doing Pre-Lay animation projects over anime which pay better and gives him more freedom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1