• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Thunderbolt Fantasy Puppet Series Teams Up With Fate/Grand Order for April Fool's Video

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spike Terra
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:08 pm Reply with quote
This is probably one of the more expensive April fools jokes I have ever seen. Bravo
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I've known about this series since it started, but I'd never seen it in motion enough to appreciate how gorgeous it is. This joke may get me to check it out for real. Very Happy
dm
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Not having seen any of Thunderbolt Fantasy, when the magician's eyes started to glow I was expecting (didn't know it was) him to be Rider with her spoiler[Medusa eyes].

And of course Saber says, "Tell me, are you my master?"
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:41 pm Reply with quote
They actually put some effort into this Laughing

Same with last night's Adult Swim Junior where they hired kids as voice actors and PG-fied the script

invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:22 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps there’ll be a roundup article later for the more elaborate April Fool’s jokes. J-Novel club created new cover artwork and posted four entire chapters for a fake light novel called I Got Hit By a Truck But I Wasn’t Sent to Another World! What the Heck?!
omiya

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The wuxia-influenced stop-motion series has a prominent connection to the Fate franchise.

Isn't Thunderbolt Fantasy live action puppetry rather than stop-motion? (Examples of stop-motion animation are the works by George Pal and clay-animation such as Wallace and Gromit).
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Spike Terra wrote:
This is probably one of the more expensive April fools jokes I have ever seen. Bravo

Except it was posted on April 2nd.
KefkaesqueXIII

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:44 pm Reply with quote
omiya wrote:
Quote:
The wuxia-influenced stop-motion series has a prominent connection to the Fate franchise.

Isn't Thunderbolt Fantasy live action puppetry rather than stop-motion? (Examples of stop-motion animation are the works by George Pal and clay-animation such as Wallace and Gromit).

That is correct. At it's base, the show is Taiwanese glove puppetry.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Just wanted to say that although it takes a while to get into its characters, Thunderbolt Fantasy is really good.

Urobuchi Gen worked on the story after all.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:17 pm Reply with quote
ValkyrieZeroZeroOne wrote:
Spike Terra wrote:

Except it was posted on April 2nd.

You must be fun at parties.
Zeino

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:54 pm Reply with quote
It was a great treat indeed to witness but I sort of wished they had used the FGO Servants from actual China (Yan Qing, Lanling, Xiang Yu, Consort Yu, Red Hare, Shi Huang Di, etc.) or it's gender-bent version of Miyamoto Musashi instead of OG Saber. But then again, Artoria is and always will be the franchise's most recognizable icon.

Now I want Thunderbolt Fantasy crossovers with Dragon Ball, Fist of the North Star, Saiyuki and G Gundam. They all drink from the same wuxia well after all.
Xavon

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:53 pm Reply with quote
So does anyone recognize any of the other weapons on the scroll? A couple look familiar, but I'm too tired right now so my brain isn't firing on all cylinders. My Pinky, either.
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:56 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I've known about this series since it started, but I'd never seen it in motion enough to appreciate how gorgeous it is. This joke may get me to check it out for real. Very Happy

Same. I thought the dolls would be a turn off, but this short made me interested in starting the series. The fact that I recognized both of the male voice actors from Fate or FGO was amusing. (One played Archer/EMIYA from Fate/Stay Night, and the other played Robin Hood from FGO)
LightningComet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:44 am Reply with quote
For everyone who wanted Hiroyuki Sawano tracks put to something related to Fate, your wish has been granted by this very elaborate joke Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Also, of course Saber would keep her cape in this as opposed to just about every other incarnation of the character. I mean, she's gotta fit in with the other heroes on the block, right? Wink
Sven Viking

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Some of the Youtube auto-translated auto-generated subtitles for this are pretty funny, but it’d be nice to see an actual translation. They should’ve added it to Crunchyroll.

Yeah, Thunderbold Fantasy is surprisingly good by the way. The story largely gets more interesting over time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2