• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gravity Rush's Shunsuke Saito, Bloodborne's Kentaro Motomura Leave SIE

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:35 pm Reply with quote
When were you when Sony Japan dies?

i was sat atom reading anime news network
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 3:56 am Reply with quote
It's unfortunate but understandable. There games were great and helped bring in niche audiences who otherwise may have brought other game systems. But seeing as SIE are slowly transitioning to a 3rd publisher, they just want these big multi million seller titles like Last of US and God of War. I mean what's the point of an expensive niche game for the Steam store that only a few hundred thousand people play.

I do wonder if the headquarters had stayed in Japan, would any of this have ever happened.
YROSHIKU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:24 am Reply with quote
good for him! hope to see rest of the japanese developers cutting ties with soyny as well.
Tripple-A

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 5:30 am Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I do wonder if the headquarters had stayed in Japan, would any of this have ever happened.

Pretty sure not. The shift to america as a company is also a shift in target audience and that's pretty much it for Sony at this point, sure not in a commercial sense but I don't expect anything decent out of Sony anymore.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:14 pm Reply with quote
YROSHIKU wrote:
good for him! hope to see rest of the japanese developers cutting ties with soyny as well.

Give the anti Sony stuff a rest. Especially if you're not going to be doing this for other publishers or developers who lose people like Nintendo,Square-Enix, or Capcom all of which are still based in Japan.

Tripple-A wrote:
Pretty sure not.

Considering the numerous individuals that have either been fired or departed from some of these companies and the number of companies that have gone out of business in the Japanese gaming industry over the last 20 years or so you're basing this off of what?

As Marshall Banana alluded to there was no "hidden" reason for this as much as people may have loved Gravity Rush and the other games SIE were putting out they weren't bringing in a whole lot of revenue for them which is pretty much a death knell for any for-profit company.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1