• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Stars Align Anime's Director Shares Updates on Sequel Plans

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 2:56 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that the rest of the series can be made one day. I haven't watched the series myself (mostly out of fear of the open ending) but my friend really enjoyed it and was really disappointed when I told her there was supposed to be an entire other half that never got made.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:33 pm Reply with quote
To me, this series seems tailor-made for NHK. The network finally took on Iso Mitsuo's Dennou Coil after he looked for a producer for seven years. NHK also bankrolled another slice-of-life story with social commentary, 3-gatsu no Lion.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Here's an idea: Why not have FUNimation help co-produce it in some way? Since FUNi is starting to actually go into the process of making anime, what with helping with Fire Force, I don't see why they can't do this with Stars Align, since they dubbed it and all. But yeah, I really hope Stars Align gets completed in some way. So many good shows get screwed over for really dumb reasons.
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:06 pm Reply with quote
How difficult is it to find producers? Get in touch with netflix, amazon or the funimation itself. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, but anime with a focus on LGBT issues is highly popular in the West. Or talk to Fuji TV itself (they are investing a lot in that too).
Changeman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:10 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
To me, this series seems tailor-made for NHK. The network finally took on Iso Mitsuo's Dennou Coil after he looked for a producer for seven years. NHK also bankrolled another slice-of-life story with social commentary, 3-gatsu no Lion.

Yeah, NHK is a good idea, they practitioners are able to invest practically alone in the production of an anime. There is also TV Tokyo, which increasingly has a progressive touch to their programs.
blahmoomoo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:45 pm Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:
How difficult is it to find producers? Get in touch with netflix, amazon or the funimation itself. It doesn't matter if you like it or not, but anime with a focus on LGBT issues is highly popular in the West. Or talk to Fuji TV itself (they are investing a lot in that too).

The problem is, it's easier to get on board with funding an adaptation of a currently popular story. There also aren't as many projects that start with a multi-cours plan as there were in the past, and it seems most of those lately are non-original anime that have already proven to be popular in other media like manga and LNs.

The other problem is that the show was planned to be 24 episodes because it originally had the green light for them (and the director wanted it that long, of course), but late into production it was cut in half, leaving no choice but to just stop the story on what was going to be the mid-season cliffhanger. Being cut off like that probably doesn't look good to other producers. And while Stars Align is very good, it didn't seem like a massive success (though I don't have a source for that).

Some articles worth reading:
animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2019-12-26/stars-align-director-kazuki-akane-promises-sequel-in-some-form/.154793
animenewsnetwork.com/interview/2020-03-20/stars-align-director-kazuki-akane/.157662
gedata

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:26 pm Reply with quote
I wonder how many more child abuse sub plots they'll stack up this time.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Love to see a S2.

But it just seems unrealistic. Anime is, first and foremost, a business proposition. Without money, nothing happens. This show was impactful but not necessarily a major commercial success. You have to pitch this investment to the Production Committee. And it really does not look good.
Break Xerxes

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:36 pm Reply with quote
I really hope the rest of the story can be told. Stars Align is one of my favorite anime from recent years.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:52 pm Reply with quote
I remember that Stars Align was a pretty good show that not many had an interest in seeing. But again, it's was pretty good.
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:18 pm Reply with quote
Part of me wants to say this is a major long shot. On the other hand, we live in a world where the Rose of Versailles anime and manga were licensed within a few years of each other and the legal hellscape that was the Harmony Gold x Macross debacle was seemingly put to bed, so at this point, why the heck not. May the stars align for Stars Align. Laughing
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I wish him the best of luck.
Яeverse

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:23 am Reply with quote
Changeman wrote:

cant find a producer means the producers arent interested in it when he contacts them. funi cant fully fund an anime.
marmalade665

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:42 pm Reply with quote
For a sports anime that was somewhat more focused on the character side it was far better than I was expecting. I'll keep hoping for a second season!
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:33 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Here's an idea: Why not have FUNimation help co-produce it in some way?

FUNi has the actual numbers that the show did while it was streaming and would probably not bother with any proposal shown them. An original property is in a completely different class than a pre-existing work like Fire Force. If anything, Akane would likely have to make a kickstarter to show to potential investors that there indeed is a market for the series and convince them its worth the effort. That's easier said than done.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2