• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Show By Rock!! Stars!! Episodes 1-12 Streaming

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:08 am Reply with quote
Yeah, this review mirrors my thoughts mostly. This season is more of a showcase of the various bands than a story with a proper plot like previous seasons.

For those curious, Jiipe (as he's shown after the finale of the anime) is a regular character in the new game, so in that way this could be seen as a sort of prequel to it.

Also look for several of the second-class bands in myuumon form in the crowd shots in the final episode. I wish the new game would do away with the class distinction and make them playable again.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:13 am Reply with quote
i wonder how many obscure references this show has.

there is this muscular guy in the rich kids band, he says ( in the subs) sei, sei, sei. the subs should have read say,say,say, as the character is a reference to the comedian/wrestler, hard gay and that is one of his catch phrases.( pretty sure there is more obscure stuff like that)

glad to see that best yuri joke was mentioned in the review. they also advanced a little bit the dermin and ruhuyu relationship. and as weak as they were ruhuyu was able to shoot beams. dermins father also looks like a character in those hokuto no ken/ touhou doujins.

shows was very enjoyable overall, but i guess just for people who are alreayd into the franchise and there is no point into watching this without watching the previous season anyway. while i prefer cyan as a character y prefer mashu as a group and theur relationships as yuri bait ( compared to the plasmagica ones that feel super dated)
Random Name

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:10 am Reply with quote
Show by Rock is one of my favorite franchises and this season was no exception. While they throw alot of bands at us I was happy to see Mashumairesh get most of the focus. I love the original bands but they became my favorite and hoping if there are future seasons they will revolve around them as well. While there may not be any outright yuri relationships Howan and Himeko seem to go past subtext. I would almost compare it to a Nanoha/Fate relationship. Everyone knows their together but they just don't say it out loud.
Yuvelir

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2021 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Honestly this season left me a bit... irritated. I was promised a sort of crossover season costarring Plasmagica and Mashumairesh but it just was not. While MashuMashu got to star most episodes, Plasmagica was reduced to a hiveminded background prop (with the only diferentiating factor being Retoree taking photos of Cyan all the time) in a fashion that other secondary bands (like Trichronika) got to shine way more than them.
This would be kinda fine if it were effectively Mashumairesh S2, but Devilmint episode aside, the group didn't even get to grow that much and I'd say they ended up feeling colder than they were at the end of their own season. Ironically enough, DokoYubi DID get a fair amount of growth for such a jokey band. It's the silver lining on this season.
Still better than S2.

And it will always disappoint me when we don't get ShingancrimsonZ being left to their own shenanigans in the background, that was by far my favourite part of the show back in the first couple of seasons. But it can't be helped.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1