• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Demon Slayer Film Was Briefly Available on PlayStation Store

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:55 pm Reply with quote
too late for damage control. this movie has now been irreversibly leaked and foreign revenue is going to tank hard for it.

I fear this blunder is going to be some reason Sony will justify the removal of their video store.
karyuudo0127

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:27 pm Reply with quote
Enjoyed this last night watching it with the family. Thank you PSN for the screw up!
JeffreySweeney

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The movie was removed from the store after a few hours, and the store is now offering refunds to those who were able to purchase it before.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would anyone want their money refunded once they purchased it? Isn't it not downloaded as a file to the console where you basically own it and can view it at your convenience, similar to how you download a MP3 to your computer and it's pretty much yours to do whatever you want with? I've never used PSN, so I don't know, but I'm assuming it's tied to being available on PSN and if it's not you can't watch it anymore?
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Yes it’s put on your console. I imagine they send letters to sue if you don’t remove it because that’s all they can do about it.
Ryujin99

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:51 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
too late for damage control. this movie has now been irreversibly leaked and foreign revenue is going to tank hard for it.

I fear this blunder is going to be some reason Sony will justify the removal of their video store.

To be fair, it has already set profit records, so even if future foreign theater revenue tanks, it's not like they're running at a loss.
RenRen94

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:01 pm Reply with quote
I really wish there was a digital viewing option for Mugen Train like how the Made in Abyss movie did (I didn't watch it, as I thought 20 bucks was a little steep).
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Ryujin99 wrote:
To be fair, it has already set profit records, so even if future foreign theater revenue tanks, it's not like they're running at a loss.

Also "tank hard" is a pretty drastic overreaction. The movie was listed for a few hours at most, on one platform, and most importantly viewers still had to pay for it, same as if they'd waited for the planned VOD release later on.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
ANN has contacted Funimation but has not yet received an official comment on the matter.
Maybe because it AOA who put it on digital not Funi.
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:24 pm Reply with quote
RenRen94 wrote:
I really wish there was a digital viewing option for Mugen Train like how the Made in Abyss movie did (I didn't watch it, as I thought 20 bucks was a little steep).

that's going to happen June 22nd
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:26 pm Reply with quote
lossthief wrote:
Also "tank hard" is a pretty drastic overreaction. The movie was listed for a few hours at most, on one platform, and most importantly viewers still had to pay for it, same as if they'd waited for the planned VOD release later on.

The difference being that now it's possible to pirate the movie in high quality rather than having to watch a camrip. I know lots of people who would rather pirate it than watch it in theaters. "tank hard" is still an overstatement, but it'll have a much larger impact than just "some people bought it on ps4 and that's it"
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:30 pm Reply with quote
JeffreySweeney wrote:

Please forgive my ignorance, but why would anyone want their money refunded once they purchased it? Isn't it not downloaded as a file to the console where you basically own it and can view it at your convenience, similar to how you download a MP3 to your computer and it's pretty much yours to do whatever you want with? I've never used PSN, so I don't know, but I'm assuming it's tied to being available on PSN and if it's not you can't watch it anymore?

You don't get "a file" on your console for you to do whatever you want to do with, it's a streaming on demand service, the console loads the video during playback and it stays in cache until the space is cleared by the console.

Usually if a movie or series is removed from the service *after* you buy it (usually because the license expired without a renewal) the title will still be avaliable to you, but people who don't already have it in their library won't be able to buy it anymore. It this very particular case they actually removed the title from the library of people who did purchase it. Since they're not providing the product they initially sold you, a refund is necessary to avoid legal issues.

Apparently some people were able to keep local copies on mobile devices because of an offline viewing feature on the PS Video app that allows you to download the whole movie and keep it there - and Sony doesnt seem to be willing or able to get those, but you're still entitled to a refund anyway because you did pay to be able to stream the movie, which is impossible currently.
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Already up to nearly 8,000 completed downloads on [redacted] as someone ripped the PlayStation Store leak. This is quite the mistake. It reminds me of the time Sony Korea uploaded a trailer for The Amazing Spider-Man 2, but it turned out to be the whole movie.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Spiderman/comments/2b71my/the_full_version_of_amazing_spiderman_2_was/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
I've seen it in theaters which is more fun on the big screen.
revolutionotaku

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 10:53 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Stuff like this is why anime/manga companies have been cracking down hard on piracy websites (mostly from China).
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:41 pm Reply with quote
MagicPolly wrote:

The difference being that now it's possible to pirate the movie in high quality rather than having to watch a camrip. I know lots of people who would rather pirate it than watch it in theaters. "tank hard" is still an overstatement, but it'll have a much larger impact than just "some people bought it on ps4 and that's it"

I doubt this will have much effect on the potential box office. If people are pirating it now, they almost certainly would have pirated it 2 months later instead of going to see it in theaters - be that because of COVID worries/restrictions or just not wanting to pay to see it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2