• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Nozomi Ent. to Release All of 'Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei' Anime Franchise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:08 am Reply with quote
I'm glad they're gonna release all of it.
Nadare Xizos

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 8:47 am Reply with quote
This series was always one of my favorites. It'll be great actually owning a copy at last after so many years stuck in licensing hell.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
yuna49

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
Amusing that Simbo's listed credits don't include Madoka or 3-gatsu no Lion, both of which have greater visibility and depth than, say, the cited Hidamari Sketch (a show I enjoyed).
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:03 am Reply with quote
Translating Zetsubou-sensei BY EAR? That sounds like hell.
ghost47

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
Wouldn't it be better to reference the manga rather than trying to translate by ear? Especially a series like this that's filled with wordplay.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:31 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Amusing that Simbo's listed credits don't include Madoka or 3-gatsu no Lion, both of which have greater visibility and depth than, say, the cited Hidamari Sketch (a show I enjoyed).

The article actually has the wrong Negima series linked too.
Simbo directed Negima!?, not Negima!

Although I haven't watched either. The first one just wasn't appealing and while I know the second is a "re-telling," I feel like I should watch the first.

=------

I think I got through a fansub of the first season of Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei, and found it amusing, but also a chore. It's the only of the "fast text" shows of his that was just too much.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:37 am Reply with quote
This is great news. I had assumed that all of the puns and onscreen text had scared licensors and translators away and that this was never going to happen. If this sells well, maybe someone will pick up the manga again too.
delariean

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:26 am Reply with quote
I got to see this show thru a fan sub that was so well done I thought it was an actual part of the show...I sometimes wish offical companies would either use or ask the fan subbed thereby saving time from in translating....
Ampharos

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:39 am Reply with quote
Wonderful news.
Master Luc

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:54 am Reply with quote
I hope they will dub later. Kickstarter is a great idea. I am willingly to support them..
johnnysasaki

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:23 am Reply with quote
how the hell they managed to lose the scripts?older,more obscured series have been licensed without that issue...
Triltaison

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 11:25 am Reply with quote
Yay, finally some news. I really enjoyed this one back when it came out and was so disappointed when my preorder for the Media Blasters disc got cancelled. It's been a long time coming.
Themaster20000

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Was wondering what happened with this. Gotta feel for the translator having to translate without scripts, especially for a show like this.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 2:26 pm Reply with quote
Lol this feels like some kind of meta joke that script is lost and has to be translate by ear. I could I'm in despair.

That said I usually loathe dubs and would cringe with them in this show . I think there are some solid dubs especially the late 1990s early 2000s. But the kind of casts that thin like ten chi had are gone. And now they just trot out the same two actors to do voices.

But yeah after so long this is a day one buy. This and yakitate Japan were the two I thought in would have to just buy the jpn version for and look at us now.
Dumas1

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
Wonderful news. I'd almost given up hope of a Stateside release for this series. I think the manga got cut short by the big crash just over a decade ago, which was a shame, but I'm now looking forwards to seeing the later seasons that kinda passed me by.

And however much the translator was getting paid, they should get double for doing this sort of series by ear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2