• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Black Clover Manga Has 15 Million Copies in Circulation Worldwide

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MFrontier

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:02 am Reply with quote
Congratulations to Black Clover!
Zzshcl

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:14 am Reply with quote
yay! good job

the current arc is awesome I might buy the manga
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:03 am Reply with quote
It seems to me that Black Clover is a bigger hit outside of Japan. Last I checked, its tankoubon sales over there were surprisingly low for a series that does very well in Shonen Jump reader surveys and had an anime adaptation that ran for over 3 years.
GoldCrusader

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Zhou-BR wrote:
It seems to me that Black Clover is a bigger hit outside of Japan. Last I checked, its tankoubon sales over there were surprisingly low for a series that does very well in Shonen Jump reader surveys and had an anime adaptation that ran for over 3 years.

Black clover has 29 volumes right? So that puts it at an avergae of like 500k per volume. Sounds like a decent hit to me.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 12:36 pm Reply with quote
I noticed that the article didn't mention the OVA that released before the TV anime. 15 million is good which many other series don't reach.
pikabot

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:30 pm Reply with quote
That honestly seems low given how long it's been around and how hard it got pushed.
JonDoe

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 7:31 pm Reply with quote
I hate to be a party crapper but for a manga that's been ongoing for 6 six years and had an anime adaptation that ran for three and a half years, 15 million copies in circulation isn't that good. By comparison The Promised Neverland has 32 million copies in circulation. Even though it didn't last as long and had only two seasons to promote it.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 11:00 pm Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Black clover has 29 volumes right? So that puts it at an avergae of like 500k per volume. Sounds like a decent hit to me.

Those are international numbers. In Japan, the manga's first 27 volumes sold like this, and they're in a clear downward trend.

JonDoe wrote:
I hate to be a party crapper but for a manga that's been ongoing for 6 six years and had an anime adaptation that ran for three and a half years, 15 million copies in circulation isn't that good. By comparison The Promised Neverland has 32 million copies in circulation. Even though it didn't last as long and had only two seasons to promote it.

Good comparison. I also recall Toriko selling over 3 times as much as Black Clover sells nowadays in Japan when it had an anime adaptation that ran for 3 years. However, I believe Black Clover is doing much better internationally than Toriko ever did, especially when it comes to streaming numbers.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1