• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Netflix to Exclusively Stream Gundam: Hathaway Anime Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:56 pm Reply with quote
I've been waiting for a announcement like this ever since Netflix announced the live action Gundam movie is going to them.

Last edited by chronium on Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Abraham Omosun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Is this worldwide distribution because if it is, best news I've heard all day.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I’m glad I have Netflix. I hope it also gets dubbed, preferably by NYAV.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy if this means more people get to see the movie sooner rather than later.

Dub-wise...well, it's pretty much a new cast (and the Japanese side recast Hathaway anyways), I guess the only expectation is if they reuse any audio or dialogue from Char's Counterattack and then need to get Keith and Lucien back for Char and Amuro for continuity purposes. Will Netflix use NYAV Post for this like for past Universal Century productions?

I forget if Bright is in this film, although I think Christopher Corey Smith has been in Netflix dubs before?
Deacon Blues

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:00 pm Reply with quote
For what it's worth, this trailer says it debuts on July 1st: https://youtu.be/MzxnPP5TLeU
John Thacker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm sure that Sony and AT&T will point to all these Netflix announcements in defending the Funi-Crunchy deal. Certainly if they know what they're doing.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Only 3 more weeks to reach the west. Quite the turnaround when compared to nearly all other anime films. If we overlook that this is a 2020 film at heart.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm always worried whenever something goes straight to Netflix if we'll even get a Blu-ray release. I don't plan on subscribing to Netflix so if I may not be able to watch this legally.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
chronium

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:50 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I'm always worried whenever something goes straight to Netflix if we'll even get a Blu-ray release. I don't plan on subscribing to Netflix so if I may not be able to watch this legally.

You only have to worry about Netflix productions not something they license.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:57 pm Reply with quote
chronium wrote:
That makes sense. Though Nanatsu no Taizai was never released on BD beyond season 1... strange.
sdsichero

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:49 pm Reply with quote
Crap, I guess I won't be seeing this. That sucks.
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:25 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
chronium wrote:
That makes sense. Though Nanatsu no Taizai was never released on BD beyond season 1... strange.

Little Witch Academia has also been a Netflix-only title for years at this point.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:52 am Reply with quote
If Netflix acquired this as an "Original" it will be the first Gundam work to be dubbed into Spanish since Gundam Wing. I'd say t would be difficult for someone to watch this movie without having at least some background information with previous Universal Century shows and, at least in my region, Netflix only has Unicorn and Iron Blooded Orphans, but I saw earlier this morning that they're going to stream the compilation film trilogy and Char's Counterattack on June 18. Still, you have to watch Zeta Gundam and ZZ in order to understand the story. I hope that Netflix will dub the compilation trilogy and CCA as well, it came as a surprise this year when they uploaded Tiger & Bunny (another Sunrise show) with a brand new dub (and a pretty good one) despite being 10 years old and not being advertised as an original Netflix series (like what they did with Evangelion).
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
If Netflix acquired this as an "Original" it will be the first Gundam work to be dubbed into Spanish since Gundam Wing. I'd say t would be difficult for someone to watch this movie without having at least some background information with previous Universal Century shows and, at least in my region, Netflix only has Unicorn and Iron Blooded Orphans, but I saw earlier this morning that they're going to stream the compilation film trilogy and Char's Counterattack on June 18. Still, you have to watch Zeta Gundam and ZZ in order to understand the story. I hope that Netflix will dub the compilation trilogy and CCA as well, it came as a surprise this year when they uploaded Tiger & Bunny (another Sunrise show) with a brand new dub (and a pretty good one) despite being 10 years old and not being advertised as an original Netflix series (like what they did with Evangelion).

According with ANMTV, it will have a Spanish dub.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:17 pm Reply with quote
1st of July sweet lord almighty can't wait ♥_♥
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1