• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 'So I'm a Spider, So What?' CG Assistant Addresses Production Issues Around Delayed Finale

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
These things happen - I can guarantee no one is less happy about the delay than the production team themselves. Harassing them helps no one, just have some damned patience.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:
These things happen - I can guarantee no one is less happy about the delay than the production team themselves. Harassing them helps no one, just have some damned patience.

Sadly many people nowadays lack both patience and understanding. Many forget so easily that much of Asia is still battling the COVID pandemic and working around the associated restrictions. The production process as is can be extremely complicated and can easily breakdown. It's astounding that more series haven't had more public production breakdowns like this.
meiam

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:22 pm Reply with quote
If things went bad so early, why not just delay the second part by one season?
Zendervai

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:35 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

This is much easier said than done. The show ran in one uninterrupted go (more or less), which means that it was fully scheduled beforehand and, if it's like most anime aimed more at adults, the production committee paid the airing network for the timeslots. Moving one or two episodes is one thing, but telling the network "hey, we paid for 24 weeks worth of this timeslot but we can only use 12" comes off really badly and can also mean the network can demand that you come up with something to fill the gap or they can just decide to not work with you again in the future.

Japanese networks are involved with anime production, but they're rarely the primary driving force the way American networks are with their shows. This is also why you don't really get mid-season cancellations for anime, because the networks just kind of treat them like informercial timeslots. They've already been paid to air them, as long as the shows don't break broadcast standards, they don't really care what the ratings are like.
DRosencraft

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 2:52 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

As Zendervai noted, most of the time anime buy up their respective timeslots in advance. This is often done months, or more, ahead of the anime airing. If they choose to not air anything during their allotted time, there are possible obligations or penalties they might owe to the station. That's why it often makes more sense to just throw together something even if imperfect, or even put together a recap episode or re-air the last episode, rather than throw in the towel and give up the spot.

Furthermore, they will likely have to then pay for a new set of timeslots whenever it is they do get around to finishing their product. The original timeslot will likely already be sold to someone else, which could mean waiting a year or more just to get back in the same spot. This is even worse for a show like this whose potential available slots are already going to be limited. It's not like One Piece or another mega series like that where they can basically command whatever spot thy want. I could be mistaken but I don't think the final episode is airing in the usual timeslot because of this (there may have been enough give in the schedule).

And this doesn't even get into the question of whether or not the artist and production staff also have other projects lined up that they also have to get working on and the deadlines and time constraints associated with those.

Fundamentally, they had no choice but to try the best they could until the end.
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Glad this was explained.

Quote:
There are a lot of insensitive tweets from people who don't know the production situation.

Sucks that this always happens, especially from people in Japan. They know how hard the animation business can be. People are not machines.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:20 pm Reply with quote
CrypticPurpose wrote:

Most people aren't upset by the delay, they're upset by the rush. I think people would rather have waited another 3 or 6 or 12 months rather than get what we got. For example, Re:Zero S2 was originally intended to air all at once, but its second half was delayed, to its great benefit. That needed to happen with Spider.
Dop.L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
The staff are quite literally killing themselves to deal with this.

That's taking the whole 'reborn into another world' thing too seriously.

But seriously, how much more can this overwork situation go on before there are major series collapses - not just delayed episodes but deaths?
AnimeFlyz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Lets be real, the age of multi cour anime is kinda outdated. More and more series are going for the split cour format, and it seems to work well by both keeping the anime quality up and giving animators a nice break. As soon as I saw which studio was doing Spider and that it was gonna be 24 continuous episodes, I was worried something was gonna go wrong.
Victor_XP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:36 pm Reply with quote
AnimeFlyz wrote:
Lets be real, the age of multi cour anime is kinda outdated. More and more series are going for the split cour format, and it seems to work well by both keeping the anime quality up and giving animators a nice break. As soon as I saw which studio was doing Spider and that it was gonna be 24 continuous episodes, I was worried something was gonna go wrong.

It is not working well. There are more split cour anime these days because the working conditions are getting worse. The actual trend now is that quality is going down and animators are suffering more.
Cryten

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:19 pm Reply with quote
What I find interesting is that the 3d side displays the most technical competence as far as readable action and animation goes. Sure they suffered from the over glossed 3d and the occasional floating movement but they seem to have been propping up the 2d side of the animation after that god awful 2d action scene around episode 16 (not sure but not gonna look it up).

So was it supporting teams for the 2d side that broke down? Even with production problems taken into account the direction from the main studio results in some really bad framing and pacing. Like in every single one of the directors works.
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
I feel for these animators. From what I've seen about anime production in Japan, the schedules are often tight and one screwup can cause a domino effect that impacts every one. And to add insult to injury, impatient stupid fans start bitching and moaning because they have to wait a little longer just adds to the aggravation.

Overall I've enjoyed So I'm a Spider So What!?; and I for one am looking forward to the season finale. In whatever shape it turns out to be.
Philmister978

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:26 am Reply with quote
Cryten wrote:
What I find interesting is that the 3d side displays the most technical competence as far as readable action and animation goes. Sure they suffered from the over glossed 3d and the occasional floating movement but they seem to have been propping up the 2d side of the animation after that god awful 2d action scene around episode 16 (not sure but not gonna look it up).

So was it supporting teams for the 2d side that broke down? Even with production problems taken into account the direction from the main studio results in some really bad framing and pacing. Like in every single one of the directors works.

Part of the issue is that Itagaki seems to insist on storyboarding his shows in their entirety instead of doing the first episode and another one or two here and there. And he doesn't seem to realize that he's kind of terrible at it for a singular episode, much less a full 12-24 episode run of a series.
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:00 am Reply with quote
I thought the name "Millepensee" sounded familiar. They're the studio that did the second season of Wake Up, Girls!. You know, the one that switched to CG and also completely collapsed, to the point where entire dialogue scenes became voice overs and the on-screen visual was the exterior of the building that the characters were inside of (https://beta.crunchyroll.com/watch/GY19E4EER/Dreaming-the-Same-Dream, at 17:52 and again at 20:02). It even turned some of the musical performances into still images (https://twitter.com/invalidname/status/927662258708271105), which kind of defeats the point of making an idol anime.

I'm sorry to hear the outsourced animation on So I'm a Spider let them down, but I'm inclined to think that the studio bears some responsibility for managing the work being done by their partners, and with WUG! S2 suggesting this isn't an isolated incident, I'm suspect I'm going to steer clear of Millepensee productions in the future.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
They (studio and director) also did 3dcg Berserk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2