• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Tops 490 Million in Circulation Worldwide

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Wow. Even if you escape to the cold Vacuum of space, One piece will be there. Truly a marvel of the time.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:36 pm Reply with quote
If half of the One Piece fans would buy literally anything else, One Piece would still be a huge hit and more authors would be happy...
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
If half of the One Piece fans would buy literally anything else, One Piece would still be a huge hit and more authors would be happy...

That seems really mean. Maybe its because other anime are not as popular? Why do you have to buy something you won't like, versus something you know is good?
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:04 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

That seems really mean. Maybe its because other anime are not as popular? Why do you have to buy something you won't like, versus something you know is good?

Because many One Piece readers don't even buy anything else, they just buy One Piece and probably Dragon Ball Super or some other shounen manga....
It's not that One Piece is really much better than other series, it's just that it's more popular. I've enjoyed the first 60 volumes of the manga, then I said "ok, that's enough for me", I just buy some One Piece videogames every once in a while, I don't care much what happens to the main characters anymore.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:

Because many One Piece readers don't even buy anything else, they just buy One Piece and probably Dragon Ball Super or some other shounen manga....

Gonna put a big ol' "citation needed" on that one.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:31 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

No need...I've seen many kids in comic books stores buying only "Naruto", One Piece" or some other popular shounen manga. Most of them buy only the most popular stuff.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

No need...I've seen many kids in comic books stores buying only "Naruto", One Piece" or some other popular shounen manga. Most of them buy only the most popular stuff.

Oh no. You could say the same for everything. That does not mean they are worse.people for it at all. So what? Do they have to switch? No. I think that attitude os what kills industries. The comics industry tried to get variety in the 90s through collectibles. It almost(or did, depending on who you talk to) killed the industry. If those authors aren'¡ popular, then that's just how it is. The popular stuff is good.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:13 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

Oh no. You could say the same for everything. That does not mean they are worse.people for it at all. So what? Do they have to switch? No. I think that attitude os what kills industries. The comics industry tried to get variety in the 90s through collectibles. It almost(or did, depending on who you talk to) killed the industry. If those authors aren'¡ popular, then that's just how it is. The popular stuff is good.

The popular stuff is also often over-rated. One Piece is one of the most over-rated manga I have ever read, if not the most over-rated manga ever. Not that it's bad of course, there are worse thing out there (cough Dragon Ball Super cough).
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:30 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:

Anecdoes are not evidence, and beyond that you're basically stating a tautology: lots of people buy popular things, which is the very action that makes them popular.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Whitestrider wrote:

Anecdoes are not evidence, and beyond that you're basically stating a tautology: lots of people buy popular things, which is the very action that makes them popular.

Lots of people ONLY buy popular things, yes. That is the problem, in fact. The few most popular franchises get 99% of the cake, the others get the crumbs.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Again, you have yet to provide any evidence that this is the case for One Piece or any other particular series. If you can show us actual sales statistics proving that One Piece fans are less likely to buy manga in general than non-One Piece fans, then you might have a case.
Whitestrider

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Again, you have yet to provide any evidence that this is the case for One Piece or any other particular series. If you can show us actual sales statistics proving that One Piece fans are less likely to buy manga in general than non-One Piece fans, then you might have a case.

The proof is that movies like Mugen Train make $500 million, other (good) movies barely make profit sometimes. But people doesn't care about "unknown" stuff like "Fuse: Memoirs of the Hunter Girl" or "Colorful" or even Ghost in the Shell 2 (which bombed at the box office so badly back then,...)
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:10 pm Reply with quote
At the end of the world there will be cockroaches and One Piece.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Whitestrider wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

The proof is that movies like Mugen Train make $500 million, other (good) movies barely make profit sometimes. But people doesn't care about "unknown" stuff like "Fuse: Memoirs of the Hunter Girl" or "Colorful" or even Ghost in the Shell 2 (which bombed at the box office so badly back then,...)

Yet ghibli, summer wars, Satoshi Kon movies are successful.

Dude, just admit you are gatekeeping. You are like the people in music who say people who only like the "mainstream" are bad.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
TsukasaElkKite wrote:
At the end of the world there will be cockroaches and One Piece.

Lies. Cockroaches eventually die of extinction. You can't kill one piece from old age.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2