• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghost in the Shell: Arise Composer Cornelius Tenders Resignation From Olympics After Youth Bul

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:28 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Oyamada stated he wrapped up someone in a mattress, and also locked a disabled person inside a vaulting horse. Oyamada stated the bullying and abuse also included having someone rolled up in string while naked and making them masturbate, and also forcing someone to eat feces.

This is really sick and disturbing shit. The guy is a sociopath, and apparently no one cared.
Quote:
The Tokyo Organizing Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games responded at the time by stating it had no plans to dismiss him or have him resign.
Brook09

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:37 am Reply with quote
God dammit some of the bullying that guy has done, is comparable to those exaggerated bullying scenarios in extreme bully manga/anime which everyone calls unreal and unrealistic.

But right here is an example of how brutal the bullying in asia really can be, like the fck making someone eat their own excrement is beyond being an understatement.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:50 am Reply with quote
Dear God. What he did was disgusting.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:15 am Reply with quote
Holding him accountable now for something that happened at least 25 years ago? Pathetic.
YamiWheeler

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:16 am Reply with quote
Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:
Holding him accountable now for something that happened at least 25 years ago? Pathetic.

Yes, I'm sure in your perfect world no one would ever be held accountable for their shitty actions!

But don't worry, no one actually did hold him accountable. He wasn't fired, he had the choice to resign. That's what's truly pathetic.
7777ale7777

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:35 am Reply with quote
*Reads title* Wow cancel culture has gone too far! How bad could this have been?
*Keeps reading* What? It was more than 30 years ago? Some people can't let go of th-... he did what...? Oh my GOD!! This is basically the backstory for a slasher movie!
Kakegurui

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:54 am Reply with quote
“Bullying” is an understatement. What he did was what a true criminal would do.

Good riddance.
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:00 am Reply with quote
pretty sure the director of Arise also a vicious domestic abuser.

the anime feels pretty cursed
SHD

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:07 am Reply with quote
So... a slap on the wrist, again? OK he resigns, and so what? He's already gotten paid, I assume the music is already there and will be used because what else they're going to do...
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:15 am Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
So... a slap on the wrist, again? OK he resigns, and so what? He's already gotten paid, I assume the music is already there and will be used because what else they're going to do...

gossip culture and slander can be a huge burden in Japan, a nation that has this fixation on personal honor.

but it depends on how much of a thick skin you have since Japan also has a thing for letting people go to be (ostensibly) useful for society. This composer after all was finding work until now. Akitaro Daichi (of original Fruit Basket fame) is also a known sexual predator doing fine, and to say nothing of Junko Furuta's killers still living normal lives now.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:18 am Reply with quote
I don't care how long ago he committed these atrocities, if he didn't get punished back then, he should be punished now. He is an absolutely disgusting human being and a simple apology will not be sufficient.

Get his ass fired.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
The Not so Chosen One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"But I didn't do these things firsthand, I just offered up the ideas (laughs)."

The worst kind of Bystander syndrome types during bullying moments in high school usually were the ones that "just offered up the ideas".

Screw him. There are other composers as talented, if nor much more, than him anyway.
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:34 am Reply with quote
Brook09 wrote:

But right here is an example of how brutal the bullying in asia really can be, like the fck making someone eat their own excrement is beyond being an understatement.

Bullying is bad anywhere you go.

Tuor_of_Gondolin wrote:

Yeah I'm pretty sure the people he traumatized all those years ago share the same sentiment on his behalf.
Hal14

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:41 am Reply with quote
The Not so Chosen One wrote:
Quote:
"But I didn't do these things firsthand, I just offered up the ideas (laughs)."

The worst kind of Bystander syndrome types during bullying moments in high school usually were the ones that "just offered up the ideas".

Screw him. There are other composers as talented, if nor much more, than him anyway.

That's not even bystander syndrome. Doing nothing but watching is bad. "Offering up ideas" makes you a part of the act especially if those ideas are used.
xxmsxx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:59 am Reply with quote
I don't think the Olympics actually fired him. He just offered to resign, that is all.

Edit: NVM, the resignation was accepted about an hour ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4