• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Jason DeMarco Expands Role to Senior Vice President, Anime and Action Series/Longform at Warne

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madster

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if Warner and AT&T losing Crunchyroll had anything to do with this decision. Then again, Warner Bros. and CN have done anime before, so this isn't surprising.

There might be some concerns over anime studios having to work with another company and adding more to the workload, but I have faith in DeMarco to handle this kind of stuff.
LightningCount

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:44 pm Reply with quote
With this DeMarco promotion...it's time for The Big-O Season 3! Come on! It's showtime!

Of the Toonami/Adult Swim originals, I think The Big-O Season 2 and IGPX were the best so far.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:01 pm Reply with quote
LightningCount wrote:
With this DeMarco promotion...it's time for The Big-O Season 3! Come on! It's showtime!

Of the Toonami/Adult Swim originals, I think The Big-O Season 2 and IGPX were the best so far.

Honestly, of the adult swim original shows, I still want Megas XLR to return. Demarco has said he liked that one. Also Sym-Bionic, but the creator is currently way to busy.
3ngag3

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:03 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
LightningCount wrote:

Honestly, of the adult swim original shows, I still want Megas XLR to return. Demarco has said he liked that one. Also Sym-Bionic, but the creator is currently way to busy.

That and the fact that both series were written off for financial reasons which is usually a deathblow for the chance of getting new content.
Wyvern

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Honestly I can't think of a better person for this role. And DeMarco goes more into detail about what exactly he'll be doing in this thread on his Twitter account. https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1425126292417138692

It looks like WB has some pretty big plans for anime and action cartoons going forward. I'm excited for it.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:04 pm Reply with quote
3ngag3 wrote:
RockSplash wrote:
LightningCount wrote:

That and the fact that both series were written off for financial reasons which is usually a deathblow for the chance of getting new content.

That was true...but in 2019 warner bros has the rights to the show...maybe a HBO MAX eclusive? I hope.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:54 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Honestly I can't think of a better person for this role. And DeMarco goes more into detail about what exactly he'll be doing in this thread on his Twitter account. https://twitter.com/Clarknova1/status/1425126292417138692

It looks like WB has some pretty big plans for anime and action cartoons going forward. I'm excited for it.

Could it also mean a new competitor between FuniRoll and Netflix?
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 1:07 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

If they can only produce like 5 titles per year, then in won't be a competitor for Funimation and Netflix in terms of anime.
Ryuji-Dono

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:55 am Reply with quote
Ermat_46 wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

If they can only produce like 5 titles per year, then in won't be a competitor for Funimation and Netflix in terms of anime.

Unless they license titles too.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:44 am Reply with quote
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Ermat_46 wrote:
Ryuji-Dono wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

Unless they license titles too.

They won't.
theNightster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 12:48 am Reply with quote
More actual action cartoons and less Teen titans go or Thunder cats roar bullshit would be great
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:

Yeah, so much potential with all those connections to anime creators he's got plus all the attention he's always given the real action cartoons as well.

theNightster wrote:
More actual action cartoons and less Teen titans go or Thunder cats roar bullshit would be great

This.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 7:03 am Reply with quote
Not bad for someone who started out pretty humbly on TNT

"The Oral History of Cartoon Network’s Toonami"

Quote:
Jason DeMarco: This would be 1996. I was working at TNT as a production assistant and Sean [Akins], the guy that got my foot in the door, had moved to Cartoon Network. Lazzo had asked him to come up with a block of action cartoons we could run in the afternoon, because the block they had wasn’t working. I would walk downstairs to Sean’s cubicle and the two of us would brainstorm what we thought our ideal action cartoon block should be. There was several months where Sean and another guy named Michael Cahill, who ended up being the main editor of the Adult Swim bumps, would go and get edit sessions and cut together these reels with music we thought was cool like Goldie and Timeless, because drum-n-bass was the big new thing. Here in Atlanta we had a few Japanese video stores that catered to Japanese expatriates that had new anime and a lot of it wasn’t translated. But we would watch it, and cut that together with skateboarding and make a reel that was the Toonami vibe.

Fifty names later and Lazzo, Akins and DeMarco settled on Toonami: an action block that was originally going to have an AI and teenage girl as its hosts, but ultimately went with a more cost-effective (but still great) choice with Moltar, voiced by Clay Croker. They animated Moltar with CG and, after working on the programming block for about eight months to a year, premiered Toonami on St. Patrick’s Day in 1997. A lot of the shows Akins and DeMarco wanted they didn’t get, but they started off strong with Thundercats, Robotech and Voltron. Still, the early days of Toonami were a challenge.

DeMarco: USA Network had it [Sailor Moon], and the rights expired and whoever was programming at the time said “You guys want Sailor Moon because it’s available,” and we were like “Yeah!” Dragon Ball Z was something that Sean and I both knew we wanted. But it was Sean that pushed really hard for Dragon Ball Z. By that time Toonami was becoming a thing, so Bandai took notice and came to us and said “We’re looking to launch Gundam in the United States. We have this new Gundam show, we think it would be perfect to be the launchpad. Are you guys interested?” and we said “Hell yeah.” That’s the way it is now—it’s still a mix of opportunities that come along, or us pushing for something because we like it or fans want it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1