• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: 5 Anime You Must See According to Mamoru Hosoda

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cookiemanstah

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:45 pm Reply with quote
An interesting list for veterans. But most of these anime are completely beyond the scope of anyone other than pirating, and even then they are difficult to find, let alone with multi region subtitles.

I wonder who he's even trying to reach out to here unless this is just intended for Japanese people.
ATastySub
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:51 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:
An interesting list for veterans. But most of these anime are completely beyond the scope of anyone other than pirating, and even then they are difficult to find, let alone with multi region subtitles.

I wonder who he's even trying to reach out to here unless this is just intended for Japanese people.

From the article
Quote:
Acclaimed anime director Mamoru Hosoda shared five "must-see" anime on the "The Most Useful School in the World" TV program on Saturday. The list is as follows:
Oggers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:59 pm Reply with quote
The anime adaptation of Anne of Green Gables is a particular favourite of mine (I'm Canadian and I grew up reading the Anne of Green Gables books, go figure). When the article said 1979, I was hoping that series would be mentioned. I can see how the camera shots would have influenced Wolf Children, especially with its focus on the Prince Edward Island countryside.
Space_Number_1

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:03 pm Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

Three out of five of the anime in this list have been released recently in the west, Galaxy Express 999 and The Castle of Cagliostro by Discotek Media and Mobile Suit Gundam by Nozomi Entertainment, so they aren't that hard to find now.

http://discotekmedia.com/Galaxy-Express-999-Movie-Blu-ray.htm
http://discotekmedia.com/Lupin-The-3rd-The-Castle-of-Cagliostro-Collectors-Edition-4K-HDR-Blu-ray.htm
https://www.rightstufanime.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Part-1-Bluray
Triltaison

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:29 pm Reply with quote
Man, I keep hoping for Aim for the Ace to one day come out stateside. I'm trying my best... I've purchased Rose of Versailles and Dear Brother both as double dips on DVD and BD, and got Tomorrow's Joe movies (2 is on preorder). Please keep bringing us '70s classics, Discotek. Especially Dezaki '70s classics. *fingers crossed*
HoshizoranoUtage

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:10 am Reply with quote
Hmm, I haven't seen the anime version of Aim for the Ace, but the live action version was really good. Maybe I should see the anime version one of these days.
thekingsdinner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 4:24 am Reply with quote
Akage no Anne is my second absolutely favorite anime, so yeah, I completely agree that it's a must-see. It's the only show that's ever gotten me to tear up.

I have yet to see Ace wo Nerae, but I only recently found out all of the sequels are not fansubbed as well, which is what I was waiting for. It's Osamu Dezaki after all, for me that's an instant muse-see. I'll get to that one sooner rather than later.

Galaxy Express 999, Mobile Suit Gundam and Castle of Cagliostro are also fantastic. Hosoda has some great taste, I'll give him that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:39 am Reply with quote
cookiemanstah wrote:

That’s how I saw Aim for the Ace!, or at least it’s first series, which I think was the only one fully fansubbed at the time (this was way back when VKSubs was the legitimate owner of the official Dear Brother sub before Discotek), and that’s how I ended up seeing the movie version as well. Though if nothing else, the series and the movie are interesting time capsule comparisons of Dezaki’s work, as the series seems to be much less openly experimental—though that may be due in large part to budget, as the movie looks much better overall and thus looks a lot more like his signature works.
TanyaTheEvil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:53 am Reply with quote
I have seen "The Girl who Lept through Time" and I absolutely loved it
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2021 9:54 am Reply with quote
Solid recommendations...
micpp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2021 9:04 am Reply with quote
It's worth noting also that (a somewhat old and odd English dub of) Anne of Green Gables is actually available on youtube legally on a channel that's apparently run by the German license holder, over at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLaW_NSM_5c1KEBESYe1Vl6dPGcl5UM3nj

So it's really just Aim for the Ace that English speaking audiences can't access. It'd be great if Discotek or someone could release that tbh!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1