• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation TV Ranking, August 9-15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Mononoke-hime domination is what I love to see. Favorite Ghibli movie. Truly one of the greatest anime movies ever.

The bottom half of the chart looks to be back to normal as expected.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:16 pm Reply with quote
It's remarkable that Ghibli movie broadcasts still manage to garner such massive ratings shares.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's remarkable that Ghibli movie broadcasts still manage to garner such massive ratings shares.

Well, almost all of Miyazaki's films have been among the highest-grossing films in Japan, and since the japanese are not to keen on streaming it seems like all families prefer to watch them together when they air them on TV. There are also the fans, like when Castle in the Sky was re-aired and in the part when Pazu and Sheeta said word "Balse" everybody tweeted the phrase at the same time, in fact, so many people tweeted it that it crashed Twitter.
OjaruFan2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
the japanese are not to keen on streaming

Why? Just curious.
Silver Kirin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 5:39 pm Reply with quote
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

Why? Just curious.

Well, I don't mean to generalize but compared to other countires their subscriptions to streaming services like Netflix and Prime Video are very low, although the new Evangelion movie broke viewing records in Prime. But I heard that japanese prefer phyisical media, there're still many video rental shops and physical video game sales are higher that digital downloads.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 7:28 am Reply with quote
Silver Kirin wrote:
OjaruFan2 wrote:
Silver Kirin wrote:

Why? Just curious.

Well, I don't mean to generalize but compared to other countires their subscriptions to streaming services like Netflix and Prime Video are very low, although the new Evangelion movie broke viewing records in Prime. But I heard that japanese prefer phyisical media, there're still many video rental shops and physical video game sales are higher that digital downloads.

The industry as a whole though seems to have contracted in 2020, much due to Covid

"Report: Anime Industry Sales Fell In 2020 For The First Time In A Decade"
Quote:
Sales in Japan’s anime industry fell 1.8% on year in 2020, according to a new report by market research firm Teikoku Databank

The industry’s sales reached 251.1 billion yen (USD$2.3B) last year, down from a record 255.7 billion yen in 2019, says the report (which based its figures on the revenue at 300 surveyed production companies). This drop puts an end to nine straight years of growth. The report blames production and release delays caused by Covid, as well as a decline in the number of tv anime shows being made.

The fall in overall revenue comes despite the release of several blockbusters — notably Demon Slayer — Kimetsu no Yaiba — The Movie: Mugen Train, which has set a Japanese box-office record by grossing more than 40B yen ($365M).

Average sales per production company came in at 831 million yen ($7.6M), falling for the first time in four years. Large companies with their own IP generally fared better, as they could depend on revenue from streaming and other licensing. Overall, 31.6% saw their sales rise while 48.6% saw them fall. In terms of profit, 31.1% reported an increase in profits, while 29.5% of companies had a drop in profits. Nearly 38% of the companies suffered losses last year.

Meanwhile, anime is globalizing. Of the 300 companies, 68 reported that they have struck business deals with overseas companies. China was the most common international partner (36 companies), followed by South Korea (15) and the U.S. (14).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1