• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ippon Takegushi, Santa Mitarashi's Candy Flurry Manga Ends in Shonen Jump

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:01 am Reply with quote
Another one bites the dust
ThatMoonGuy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:12 am Reply with quote
It's been coming for a few weeks but, really, it's a shame. The manga was cute and had a very strange sense of humor. I think it's downfall was that it looked pretty generic, from a design standpoint, and the "sweets" gimmick could've been used better. A real shame.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:16 am Reply with quote
Brutal. That being said, it felt like the series was going be wrapped up last week.

Perhaps Shonen Jump should hold off on serialising battle manga where everyone has unique abilities for a while.
Soulwarfare

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
JaffaOrange wrote:
Brutal. That being said, it felt like the series was going be wrapped up last week.

Perhaps Shonen Jump should hold off on serialising battle manga where everyone has unique abilities for a while.

They should start serialising more unique shonen like ACT-AGE (shame writer ruined the future of that series).
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, figured. The prior chapter had a very heavy "this is axed so here's an ending" vibe to it, but I feel it was handled well enough. I haven't read the last chapter but it'll be sad to see it go. It's humor was surprisingly good and I enjoyed the characters and how dorky they were. I certainly didn't expect to like the series much but it ended up being one of the first series I'd read each week.
I wish the mangakas the best of luck and hope to see them again soon.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Sad to see it go, the start was rougher than a cliffside but it hit a groove with the humor. Plus Tsumugi's a likable lead.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:59 pm Reply with quote
IMO it had its strong points but it kinda lacked in story hooks.
DCR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 3:27 am Reply with quote
Will Shonen Jump have another battle manga with a female lead who cant fight by her own?
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:31 am Reply with quote
Soulwarfare wrote:
JaffaOrange wrote:

They should start serialising more unique shonen like ACT-AGE (shame writer ruined the future of that series).

They did try it. The problem is the premier can only carry you for a first few chapters. Execution matter more and most of the unique premier series that Jump published fall flat on that aspect.
Touma55

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:06 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Soulwarfare wrote:
JaffaOrange wrote:

They did try it. The problem is the premier can only carry you for a first few chapters. Execution matter more and most of the unique premier series that Jump published fall flat on that aspect.

100% this. Execution is the most important thing. I also wanna add that I find it very strange that some people get mad/annoyed that Jump doesn't serialize more super unique series. They can only serialize what people bring in. If 20 people bring in a battle series and 1 guy brings in something super unique they only have 1 super unique series to serialize.
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 12:41 pm Reply with quote
BlueAlf wrote:

i think if it got more chapters we could have got more story hooks but yeah it was too late with that.
KarlFranz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

i think if it got more chapters we could have got more story hooks but yeah it was too late with that.

A story always need something to hook the readers from day 1. No story should wait for 10 chapters in before presenting a hook. And it not necessary have to be a story hook, you can get the readers hooked by other aspect like characters or mystery.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 3:07 am Reply with quote
More chainsaw lollipop
kgw

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:01 am Reply with quote
In the end, a "My Sweet Academia" couldn't beat other series about super-powered battles, specially now that Jujutsu Kaisen returned to the magazine.
A pity, because the main character was different from the typical "tough, a bit dumb, determined hero".
Todd_Harry08

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:58 am Reply with quote
KarlFranz wrote:
Todd_Harry08 wrote:
BlueAlf wrote:

A story always need something to hook the readers from day 1. No story should wait for 10 chapters in before presenting a hook. And it not necessary have to be a story hook, you can get the readers hooked by other aspect like characters or mystery.

the first 3 chapters or 4 were having some hooks actually with some focus on the characters and mystery but it just needed more time for more hooks like in the end there's always a manga that needs time to build its hooks and not suddenly put hooks without actual reason and even the most popular shonen jump needed to become what it is now.

anyways that proves that jump is the kind that can't wait and just want something popular from day 1 like they didn't even give it one color page after the first ones and put more for blue box.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2