• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kadokawa Anime Producers Want Isekai To Take Over the World

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JR-1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:03 pm Reply with quote
"Another successful example was Combatants Will Be Dispatched!, which involved multiple arms of promotion from various companies such as Funimation, GeeX+, Yen Press, and BookWalker Global."

"'Overseas first' is no longer just a slogan but something we will be actively working towards,"

I found it hugely ironic that the very title where the production staff says "we don't really think about overseas" met with "thank god, based Japan" comments is used as the example here.

Seriously though, great article in showing the difference in views from producers and creators. Anime's explosive growth certainly means it will be in a lot of growing pains, and I wonder how that difference in mindset would develop forward.
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I hope others jump on board with this. It seems like licensors have to fight tooth and nail a lot of the time for reasonable treatment from the Japan side, and even then we end up with later releases, lol whoops we gave you the broadcast version, etc.
Electric Wooloo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:10 pm Reply with quote
All this talk about taking care to cross promote series to make sure they're successful, but we're still gonna have the shotgun approach of 40 Kadokawa series a year with maybe half a dozen getting that treatment once they've shown they're valuable.

I can say I'm burned the hell out by all of the shows every season, and especially by all the same plot Narou fanfiction isekai. I don't think this model is gonna be sustainable on the production side for very much longer at this rate.

Last edited by Electric Wooloo on Tue Nov 02, 2021 2:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
09jcg

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad overseas markets are being factored now when determining a success for a show. For example, I think Nagatoro's overseas success helped it get its season 2 (by all accounts it didn't do well in Japan). If Kadokawa REALLY wants to be a player though with LN and manga in the west they have got to do something about the bookwalker app. I use it to read New Normal and it is hands down the most ass backwards, abysmal counter intuitive website I have ever had the horror of using.
Kusakabe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, i still feel like using the term Isekai to describe any story that involves a character traveling to another word incredibly pretentious. These types of stories have always existed and treating it like an anime thing is weird. It' annoys me like people get annoyed when you refer to anime and manga as cartoons and comics lol
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:34 pm Reply with quote
Can't for the hit anime Cowboy in Another World in 2023!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, no, this is a bad idea. We've had non-stop bland, generic Narou isekai anime for almost a decade now. It needs to stop. Seriously. It's gone on for way too long!
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:51 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
I'm glad overseas markets are being factored now when determining a success for a show. For example, I think Nagatoro's overseas success helped it get its season 2 (by all accounts it didn't do well in Japan). If Kadokawa REALLY wants to be a player though with LN and manga in the west they have got to do something about the bookwalker app. I use it to read New Normal and it is hands down the most ass backwards, abysmal counter intuitive website I have ever had the horror of using.

Though I care very little for Isekai, if Overseas performance was important 10 years ago, stuff like Baccano and deadman wonderland would still be getting more anime, since they very much catered towards western styles. Deadmaan wonderland really should have been finished.
babajones

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I hope "So I'm a Spider, So What?" get 2nd season !!
wacclay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:02 pm Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:

I just poked around a bit - I am not an expert at this by any means - but from what I saw, Nagataro had very good ratings in Japan but few people bought the DVD. Which I can understand. It was a slice of life show. It didn't have anywhere near the ecchi or fanservice as the people who contrived the controversy about it claimed, and what little existed involved females who look and act like high school juniors and seniors instead of moe loli stuff. As for the animation quality and budget there were really like only 4 characters most episodes (Sempai, Nagatoro, Nagatoro's 2 friends) with like half the series taking place in a single room.

It may be that the same thing that makes for low DVD sales makes it ideal for streaming overseas.
jolygamer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
So, they’re starting make anime for the west.I hope it’s not meaning for the Twitter,woke and,and,and?I am really afraid for anime industry

Last edited by jolygamer on Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
omnistry

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:11 pm Reply with quote
FilthyCasual wrote:
Can't for the hit anime Cowboy in Another World in 2023!

Have it star Orville Peck, and I'll watch the crap out of that!
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:15 pm Reply with quote
RockSplash wrote:
Though I care very little for Isekai, if Overseas performance was important 10 years ago, stuff like Baccano and deadman wonderland would still be getting more anime, since they very much catered towards western styles. Deadmaan wonderland really should have been finished.

I don't really know the numbers for those two particular shows, but if they were only popular in America, then that wouldn't be as valuable to invest in as shows popular in multiple different markets like Durarara was. Overseas means more than just America, even if people usually conflate the two terms interchangeably. Europe, South America, other East Asian countries, especially China which this article specifies. Something being popular in just America isn't necessarily popular on a global scale, and vice verse. See: Saint Seiya.
RockSplash

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:22 pm Reply with quote
jolygamer wrote:
So, they’re starting make anime for the west.I hope it’s not meaning for the Twitter,woke and,and,and?I am really afraid for anime industry

I want to be nice and not rude, so all I will say is that stuff that is "woke" has been going on in Japan as well as America. Many different countries are changing. The idea that this is only for the west is just not true.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:32 pm Reply with quote
God no.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5