• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gintama: The Final

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Where can you watch this?
tintor2

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Still haven't watched the movie but I read the manga version. The fights are fun but can get exaggerated to the point Gintoki's plot armor is more notable than Kira Yamato's from Gundam SEED considering how many fights has he fought, how much blood he lost but still survived like nothing. It kinda felt like Sorachi wasn't sure about whether or not he should kill Takasugi but the final guidebook confimed he pretty much was reborned like that tree thing from Guardians of the Galaxy.

Curiously, the Yorozuya kinda me those Marvel characters with all the comedy and action but it felt like they still restored back to their classic designs for some reason despite being two years older. The other movie, Farewell Yorozuya, also played a similar ending but with a reset ending so I guess this movie feels like a more rewarded ending even if you have to watch all Takasugi and Utsuro arcs to understand it.
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:45 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
Where can you watch this?

It's currently in theaters.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:07 pm Reply with quote
I've never saw or read Gintama.
My friend didn't want to watch the movie on her own so I joined her.

I couldn't stop laughing and feeling feels throughout the entire movie.
It's so ridiculous. I loved it.

I'm surprised I can't find the manga in English - like it's a shonen jump/viz media manga so why isn't it on the USA Shonen Jump app? Not even stores, at least the ones I went to, had a single volume for sale in English.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:37 pm Reply with quote
RazzBerrieCharm wrote:
II'm surprised I can't find the manga in English - like it's a shonen jump/viz media manga so why isn't it on the USA Shonen Jump app? Not even stores, at least the ones I went to, had a single volume for sale in English.
Viz cancelled the Manga after so many volumes a number of years ago.
RazzBerrieCharm

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:25 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
RazzBerrieCharm wrote:
II'm surprised I can't find the manga in English - like it's a shonen jump/viz media manga so why isn't it on the USA Shonen Jump app? Not even stores, at least the ones I went to, had a single volume for sale in English.

Now that's the saddest info I heard all year.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:26 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:

10 years ago in fact

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-14/u.s-retailers-list-gintama-manga-23-as-final-volume
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:43 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
MarshalBanana wrote:

10 years ago in fact

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-04-14/u.s-retailers-list-gintama-manga-23-as-final-volume

Viz has kept some of Gintama in print to an extent, though. I remember seeing a copy of Volume 1 at my local Barnes & Noble about a year ago or so that said it was part of a print run from 2018 or so. It's just that it didn't sell well enough to continue translating, since it's obviously a much more complicated endeavor than most other Jump series (plus, you know, it's over 70 volumes long).

As for The Very Final, I'm glad to see that it's a good film, and I'll definitely be grabbing the home video release in February. Now if only we could get the second movie over here.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1