• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Idoly Pride Project Will Not Replace Late Voice Actress Sayaka Kanda

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
catbot158

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:48 pm Reply with quote
That was unexpected, but very kind of them to honor her memory like that.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:04 am Reply with quote
Only proper. Besides, her performance was so spot-on that it would have been difficult to replace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:17 am Reply with quote
Since she's already a ghost, that's kinda meta for her to disappear in the show
Amiantos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:36 am Reply with quote
It's nice they're doing this but this leaves all but 1 option to phase her out of all new material and leave what has been in so far there but have to make up a reason to no longer have in the future content.
OrdepNM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:21 am Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:
It's nice they're doing this but this leaves all but 1 option to phase her out of all new material and leave what has been in so far there but have to make up a reason to no longer have in the future content.

The Persona franchise has been skirting the need to recast Igor since... *checks notes* 2010 when its VA died. I'm sure they can work around it if they put their mind to the task.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:38 am Reply with quote
Kanda largely wasn't as involved in anime as notable seiyuus. She was mainly a stage performer as oppose to a voice actress. For her two most notable roles, Mana Nagase in Idoly Pride, and Yuna in SAO, the characters were basically dead at the start of the series. Other roles were in much smaller anime that are likely not getting a sequel and the roles were very minor. So there is largely no need to recast here anime roles. It is also not in the best interest for them to use her anime characters again since it will only bring attention to Kanda and her death. Suicide is a huge issue in Japan, and given how well known Kanda is, it is best to steer audiences away from others following suit. This is probably why her body was cremated just 3 days after her death, which reduces the likelihood of a full body autopsy being performed to investigate the cause.
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:09 pm Reply with quote
Good news, but maybe the industry shouldn't mess around with this trend unless they want the trend to end up like Atuk.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:37 pm Reply with quote
SpiritSmoocher wrote:
Kanda largely wasn't as involved in anime as notable seiyuus. She was mainly a stage performer as oppose to a voice actress. For her two most notable roles, Mana Nagase in Idoly Pride, and Yuna in SAO, the characters were basically dead at the start of the series. Other roles were in much smaller anime that are likely not getting a sequel and the roles were very minor. So there is largely no need to recast here anime roles.

While true, what you're forgetting is that Idoly Pride is explicitly a multimedia project and SAO basically is, too. The possibilities of her characters popping up in other formats (games, radio dramas, etc.) are not trivial, and that's even discounting original-content OVAs.

Hence this announcement was hardly unnecessary.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sparvid

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:51 pm Reply with quote
Amiantos wrote:

From a storyline perspective, it would be relatively easy to write out the character. Just have her ghost no longer appear, and then she could still be regularly referenced as a inspiration for the remaining characters (which could work double as a tribute to Kanda), so it's not like she would have to never be mentioned again in future stories. But without a re-cast, there wouldn't be any more new (in-universe previously recorded) songs of hers released.
tsog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Is that a spoiler? As someone who hasn't seen the anime (Idoly Pride) yet it feels like the article just dumped a giant spoiler without warning. I've guessed as much but still feels like a warning was warranted.

It's incredibly coincidental and tragic, what happened to her and the two idol characters she played in anime.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:29 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:
Is that a spoiler? As someone who hasn't seen the anime (Idoly Pride) yet it feels like the article just dumped a giant spoiler without warning. I've guessed as much but still feels like a warning was warranted.

It's incredibly coincidental and tragic, what happened to her and the two idol characters she played in anime.

Mana (her character in Idoly Pride) dies about 3/4 of the way through the first episode and then reappears as a ghost at the end of that episode. Whether or not this counts as a "major" spoiler is debatable. It certainly wasn't advertised up front (in fact, basically nothing was revealed about the series up front) and Mana was prominently featured in promo material, so her death did come as a surprise. However, I generally consider first-episode twists to be part of the base premise of a series, and so don't count revealing them as major spoilers once the series has first aired.
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:45 pm Reply with quote
I have seen both Idoly Pride and the entire SAO franchise long before Kanda's death. The main reason Mana appears as a ghost is due to spoiler[ Sakura having her heart and voice. Mana's ghost would disappear at the end of the anime since Sakura comes to terms with being herself rather than people seeing her as Mana. Plus Mana gave that kiss to Kouhei. If they chose to revive Mana for subsequent seasons, it just defeats the purpose of the first season.]
As for her character, her original song is Song For You, and other notable ones are just covers from her cast. So she can 100% be written out of all other multimedia material without affecting the story. If you noticed a lot of Idoly Pride's main cast, a lot of them are brand new voice actresses so they have much more freedom with the project than Kanda.

SAO is a bit more tricky, since they were likely plans for her to appear in more mobages in games. But the SAO cast has grown so large, it is probably not in the best interest to revisit Yuna. Also her arc sort of had closure at the end of alicization. SAO has recently acknowledged Kanda's death https://www.facebook.com/SwordArtOnlineUSA/photos/a.444685125567474/4607660619269883/ but made no word on whether yuna's getting a recast

EDIT: Okay, so this DOES get into deeper spoilers, so I added the spoiler tags. - Key]
SpiritSmoocher

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:48 pm Reply with quote
tsog wrote:

In the trailer, it mentions ghost so largely it isn't a spoiler.

Also be aware it is unlikely for Idoly Pride Season 2 to happen. Even the most successful Idol Anime like Idolmaster and Love Live have 24ish episodes followed by a movie before they change the idol group. And these are franchises are helmed by major studios of A1 and Sunrise respectively. Idoly Pride is done by a much smaller studio, and it largely accomplished its job of promoting the group. The youtube channel hasn't been pushing out new music that wasn't shown in the anime for a while now. This is probably why Idoly Pride twitter had no issue announcing Mana won't be recast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1