• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Caressing the Nipples of My Hibernating Bear BL TV Anime Reveals More Cast, July 3 Premiere

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Matcha.8

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:37 am Reply with quote
Is that the official English title? I wonder what's the thought process of the translator/localizer who decided to alter the title from the Forest Bear is Hibernating to *Caressing the Nipples* of My Hibernating Bear...
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 5:47 am Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:
Is that the official English title? I wonder what's the thought process of the translator/localizer who decided to alter the title from the Forest Bear is Hibernating to *Caressing the Nipples* of My Hibernating Bear...

Was just about to ask this... Apparently this used to be the full title of the first volume, and then it was changed to a less racy one, because at Shueisha the title is already simply "Mori no kuma-san touminchuu".

Also, a note on the translation (again....) "mederu" is not "caressing", in this context it means fondling, or, going by the plot description, suckling. Also, the grammar, really guys... the translation is "Mr Forest Bear had his nipples fondled while he was hibernating." (Sounds long and awkward? Sure, but that's pretty much the point with these titles.)
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:38 am Reply with quote
Shocked

Wow. They, uh, really got my number with this one. Thank you, AnimeFesta.
crazieanimefan1

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 7:42 am Reply with quote
I don't think ANN decided one morning to have an article with the word "nipples" before lol Yet the manga looks familiar like I read it before, just didn't realize that was the name translated.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 9:33 am Reply with quote
Jeez, whoever translated the title must really want it to be known that this is going to be an adult hentai anime and NOT something teenagers should stumble upon. Kinda bold and ballsy of them, I must say. If you're gonna go whole hog, you might as well go whole hog.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 10:45 am Reply with quote
Matcha8 wrote:

Probably the same as whoever turned The Legend of the Blue Wolves (Aoki Ōkami-tachi no Densetsu) into Hot Space Cowboys. Rolling Eyes
MagicPolly

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:45 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Matcha8 wrote:

Probably the same as whoever turned The Legend of the Blue Wolves (Aoki Ōkami-tachi no Densetsu) into Hot Space Cowboys. Rolling Eyes

BL manga getting complete name changes isn't all that uncommon in English honestly. One called Zombie Hide Sex in Japanese (not translated, it's just called that) was published on Renta as Fooling Around While Zombies Roam. And then there's the whole Dick Fight Island situation.

Just by browsing the first few pages of Renta I found "I'll Have My Cake and Eat It, Too" which in Japan was called I want this, I want that (according to deepl)
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:51 am Reply with quote
The issue is less that names get radically changed (and not just for BL titles), but what they get changed to. Smile And yes, Dick Fight Island is another absurd example. On the other hand, the Zombie one is an improvement.
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Pssst - I just wrote above that apparently this was the actual title of the manga (albeit the English translation is wonky which may or may not be ANN's translator's work) that got changed on the Japanese side.

SHD wrote:

What I'm wondering about is where ANN got the full/old title from, considering that the source article cited has only the short/new one, as well as all articles I could find with this news. (Slow day at work...)
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:28 pm Reply with quote
To be fair, while ANN has certainly dropped some wonky translations and romanizations in the past, (sorry, guys/gals/others, you earned this particular roast), in this case "Caressing the Nipples of My Hibernating Bear" is taken from the English release on Coolmic, and is otherwise par for the course for a Screamo release. The site linked in the article is only available on mobile.

Which is to say, this is definitely one of those times the Japanese title change makes sense, because it's actually a pretty sweet story, and there's more than just the bear's nipples getting fondled by the later volumes. (Though the bird-boy on cat-boy action is still left at "tease" level.)
SHD

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 12:45 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
To be fair, while ANN has certainly dropped some wonky translations and romanizations in the past, (sorry, guys/gals/others, you earned this particular roast), in this case "Caressing the Nipples of My Hibernating Bear" is taken from the English release on Coolmic, and is otherwise par for the course for a Screamo release. The site linked in the article is only available on mobile.

In that case I'm really wondering about the localization choices because, mistranslating "mederu" and apparently misrepresenting the actual story aside... caressing nipples? Really? Anime smile + sweatdrop I mean... English is not my first language so it may be just me, but to me this sounds like a blushing young lady of sheltered, religious upbringing trying to say something racy and then stumbling in the last moment out of embarrassment. Caressing nipples, what. Anime smile + sweatdrop Who are they even targeting this at?
wolf10

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 1:02 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
English is not my first language
Could have fooled me. Very Happy

We're going way into the weeds on poetic license now, but it's not a wholly incorrect expression in English. Like, you could caress someone's face, or their thighs maybe, but nipples are generally a little small for that level of attention. But both "mederu" and "caress" imply a certain amount of loving attention, so it's not an inaccurate translation. Just, a bit, much. "Loving the Nipples of my Hibernating Bear" would express the same hands-on/hands-off duality, maybe, but the imagination can run way farther with that particular euphemism.

Also, I think you answered your own question. Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:28 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
Was just about to ask this... Apparently this used to be the full title of the first volume, and then it was changed to a less racy one, because at Shueisha the title is already simply "Mori no kuma-san touminchuu".

Also, a note on the translation (again....) "mederu" is not "caressing", in this context it means fondling, or, going by the plot description, suckling. Also, the grammar, really guys... the translation is "Mr Forest Bear had his nipples fondled while he was hibernating." (Sounds long and awkward? Sure, but that's pretty much the point with these titles.)

Thank you for the translation explanation!
Northlander

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Matcha8 wrote:

And also turned Asobi ni Iku Yo (I've come to play) into "Cat Planet Cuties"? Yeah, completely different audience, I know, but the point still stands.
gsilver

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I am curious about this one and would like to subscribe to their newsletter.

Ok, seriously... I might just pick this up for the title.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2