• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: My Brain is Different: Stories of ADHD and Other Developmental Disorders GN

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZelosZoidberg

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 11:30 am Reply with quote
As a person who has ADHD and a few other disorders, it's sad I still have to explain what they are to people. I had to go to Duke University in order to get properly diagnosed back in the day (1994) as a grade school student. Luckily better detection methods make it easier to diagnose earlier on so they can hopefully get the help they need. It might have been too late to help me but it's not too late for them.

I look forward to reading this.

Edit: Also for those who don't know why Autism Speaks is bad, It's because they are Pro Eugenics. Something One Piece talked about in Ace's backstory.

Edit 2: The above Edit statement may not be true. It seems I must research more sources to find an answer.

Final Edit: I'm sticking with my Eugenics statement because based on horror stories I've heard from what I believe to be credible people on other sites such as Reddit in addition to ANN. Regardless if it's true or not Autism Speaks is a terrible organization/cult.

Last edited by ZelosZoidberg on Sat May 14, 2022 1:20 pm; edited 4 times in total
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:24 pm Reply with quote
I am autistic myself and suffer with ADD so I can clearly relate to the themes in this book. All I can add to this is that education and understanding about these issues even through manga like My Brain is Different should be important in order to help society change their perceived views towards autistic people over time to ensure that not only present but future generations will not have to suffer wanton discrimination. Nobody asks to be born with these conditions and they shouldn't have to be segregated as pariahs over it. Neurodivergence will only continue to exist and it's high time the human race finally acknowledges this.
SenpaiDuckie
ANN Community Manager

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 12:48 pm Reply with quote
This novel is a gift and a necessity. Japan is strict on administering ADHD drugs to a point that in history, they do not allow psychostimulant drugs since 1951*. I can imagine the struggle of parents as well and in terms of interacting with the community along with their children. The prejudice that the child will get, even more with the parent... This is definitely a different look of Japan's society.

*Reference: Citizens Commission on Human Rights Japan. (2018, January). ADHD labeling and treatment of children in Japan. Retrieved from https://tbinternet.ohchr.org/Treaties/CRC/Shared%20Documents/JPN/INT_CRC_NGO_JPN_30110_E.pdf
merr

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 1:28 pm Reply with quote
ZelosZoidberg wrote:
Edit: Also for those who don't know why Autism Speaks is bad, It's because they are Pro Eugenics. Something One Piece talked about in Ace's backstory.

There are many valid reasons to be critical of Autism Speaks, but this particular one is false.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I have ASD and other mental health issues and I can't wait to read this book (and order it for my bookshop). Thank you for reviewing it! Smile
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 2:57 pm Reply with quote
An addendum to this review: after I hit submit on this, I immediately started passing it around to my coworkers at the preschool where I work.
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Of all the books Seven Seas put out recently, this is the one I've been looking forward to the most, and I'm glad to say it met my expectations! I loved all the stories in this, and I really hope more like this gets made! My only real gripe with it is that one character is said to have Schizophrenia, but that never really comes through in the manga. Which reminds me, I need to start writing up my own review of it.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:37 pm Reply with quote
I always have complicated feelings reading these kinds of things.

I'm about a year younger than Ms. Moore, and I was diagnosed with ADD at some point as a kid, which was later revised to Asperger syndrome, and it's only in the last couple years that I've started to realize, y'know, I might have ADHD after all on top of autism. I've also been depressed for pretty much my entire adult life, and I've gone through over half a dozen therapists. And when I read things from other people talking about their own ADHD struggles, sometimes it does make it seem more possible that I might find a way out of the pit I can barely remember ever not being in.

And sometimes it just makes me feel even worse. Because my takeaway ends up being "lol, they had every disadvantage you have and then some and they STILL managed to do impressive things and make friends, what's YOUR excuse for being such a loser".

Anyway, I think I'll put this manga on the list for my next order from the local bookstore. Might supply some good food for thought, maybe some discussion material to bring up with my current therapist.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 4:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
outdated terms like Asperger's Syndrome

Eh, I'd rather prefer to keep identifying as such instead of casting it by the wayside in favor of ASD; the latter makes me sound not nearly as high-functioning as I am in practice.
Ggultra2764
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. Never knew about this manga series until I read up this review. This is only the second manga series I've heard about dabbling into developmental disorders since reading With the Light's dabbling into autism five years ago. Being on the autistic spectrum myself, interested in wanting to dabble into this.

Does this release consist of the full manga series by any chance?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Ggultra2764 wrote:
Interesting. Never knew about this manga series until I read up this review. This is only the second manga series I've heard about dabbling into developmental disorders since reading With the Light's dabbling into autism five years ago. Being on the autistic spectrum myself, interested in wanting to dabble into this.

Does this release consist of the full manga series by any chance?

The book itself is only one volume long as far as I can tell, so presumably yes. Also, With The Light is great.
all-tsun-and-no-dere
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Shay Guy wrote:

And sometimes it just makes me feel even worse. Because my takeaway ends up being "lol, they had every disadvantage you have and then some and they STILL managed to do impressive things and make friends, what's YOUR excuse for being such a loser".

I'm sure lots of therapists have already told you this, but when you compare yourself to others, you're not being fair to yourself! Everyone is affected to different degrees by their disorders, and there are so many external factors that influence your ability to achieve what society deems "successful" as well! I think, considering this, the book would be really interesting for you, since the stories aren't so much inspirational tales of overcoming the odds as people learning about themselves and how that understanding helps them manage their lives.

And yes, this is a single-volume release.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Eh, I'd rather prefer to keep identifying as such instead of casting it by the wayside in favor of ASD; the latter makes me sound not nearly as high-functioning as I am in practice.
Just to let you know, the term of "Asperger's Syndrome" is named after Hans Asperger, who was a Nazi sympathizer who had children euthanized at the Am Spielgrund clinic in exchange for career opportunities with the regime.

Read more here: WIKIPEDIA LINK

It's a tasteless label to associate Autism Spectrum with and it's high time the term dies. I really think you should reconsider your stance on the matter, Takkun.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:22 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Takkun4343 wrote:
Just to let you know, the term of "Asperger's Syndrome" is named after Hanz Asperger, who was a Nazi who experimented with children who were suffering with the very condition that the name was given to. The children who didn't show productive results were put to death under Asperger's watch while those who did were put into forced labour.

It's a tasteless label to associate Autism Spectrum with and it's high time the term dies. I really think you should reconsider your stance on the matter, Takkun.

Your points are fair and well-researched, and the history lesson is much appreciated, but it's the term I'm familiar and comfortable with, Godwin's Law be damned, and it's gonna take a lot more than a single forum post for me to start calling it Sukhareva's Syndrome or whatever less problematic term you prefer I force myself to go by starting right this second.
Neverwhere

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Takkun4343 wrote:
Quote:
outdated terms like Asperger's Syndrome

You're fully within your rights to self-identify how you wish, but as Asperger was a nazi most people now prefer (and if you're Jewish like me, are grateful for) the diagnosis of ASD. I don't think it's being 'cast aside' like a bad name as much as updated to make us feel more included within the general mental health community, which should hopefully be a positive thing for all of us.

Reasons to be critical of the garbage pile that is Autism Speaks include but are not limited to: speaking over actually autistic people in every conceivable way, supporting autism moms (TM) who write popular books saying autistic people are a burden, you are Very Brave for dealing with us and also we 'should not be allowed to breed' (yes this is a real quote and I am forever furious about it), using a puzzle piece to represent us when we are not broken and are constantly telling them how much we hate their symbol, advocating dangerous ideas to 'fix' us that can result in permanent mental and physical damage, pretending to be a charity since they have no intention of using funds to help autistic people survive in an allistic world, wanting only to find a cure to make us 'normal'...etc etc. Pretty much any blog about them from an autistic person will go into more detail about how horrible they are and should not be supported in any way. Support the Autistic Self Advocacy Network and other autistic-led organisations instead! : )
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3