• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime Expo Returns on July 1-4, 2023 in LA, Reveals AX Ontario Event in California in November

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 8:57 pm Reply with quote
That is such a weird convention schedule…
NeoStrayCat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:58 pm Reply with quote
HyperGatack wrote:

Well its not that confusing cosidering the Ontario event happens later this fall, while the usual one at LACC for next year.

Also, this woudn't be the first time AX did something like this before. They had one for New York in 2002, and one for Tokyo in 2004.
blooperboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:50 pm Reply with quote
*looks at the schedule for the rest of the year*
They couldn't just wait until next year could they. There were already three cons scheduled for that weekend.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:42 am Reply with quote
I wish I could be there.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:21 am Reply with quote
As a Canadian that new convention name got me excited until I read further Sad
HyperGatack

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 8:27 am Reply with quote
NeoStrayCat wrote:
HyperGatack wrote:

Well its not that confusing cosidering the Ontario event happens later this fall, while the usual one at LACC for next year.

Also, this woudn't be the first time AX did something like this before. They had one for New York in 2002, and one for Tokyo in 2004.

Oh I meant their time frame for the con next year, starting on a Saturday and ending on a Tuesday. I get that it’s July 4th but also… just a weird day to end the con on.
Tenchi

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Even if I had the money to travel to anime conventions (which I very much don't; I haven't even left the Ottawa area in a decade), I certainly wouldn't go to the regular Anime Expo since it's in southern California at the hottest time of year.

I suppose having a second Anime Expo in November means the temperatures will be much more moderate for a hot weather-hater such as myself. I probably still wouldn't go even if I could afford to since I'm also averse to overcrowded convention halls, I'm too old for things like cosplay and I can just read licensing announcements online for free. The Japanese guest list would have to be amazing to get me to go to a convention.

Vaisaga wrote:
As a Canadian that new convention name got me excited until I read further :(

I suspect that if they were going to do an Anime Expo in (presumably) Toronto, Ontario, the branding would either be "Anime Expo Canada" or "Anime Expo Toronto".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tunod Denrub

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
As a Canadian that new convention name got me excited until I read further Sad

As a Californian who lives in Ontario, I almost scrolled right past this article for the same reason. No one ever talks about us, and frankly I'm a little surprised we're getting a secondary AX.

Tenchi wrote:
I suppose having a second Anime Expo in November means the temperatures will be much more moderate for a hot weather-hater such as myself.

Sadly, I cannot promise that. While temps here will be lower on average around then, we still see temps above 80f well into November, and 90f or over aren't generally out of the question yet. It could still get pretty hot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1