• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Does the Original Trigun Hold Up?

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Trigun was the very first anime series I watched in its entirety front-to-back, and it holds a very special place in my heart. It can feel a bit messy at times, and the visuals don't always hold up in the way that Bebop's do, but it has a fantastic atmosphere, and Vash is an endlessly fascinating character. As this article notes, the series never really takes a stance on whether Vash's worldview is the only correct one, and if anything the immense suffering he goes through trying to uphold it seems to imply that it isn't. It's a story about people trying their best to hold to their convictions, even at great personal cost, and I think it's a very universal message.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 1:32 pm Reply with quote
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are the times that the dub is better than the sub version.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:58 pm Reply with quote
Well, I guess I have to finally revisit Trigun. And watch that movie I never saw.
ninjamitsuki

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 3:52 pm Reply with quote
The manga is even better. The anime is great, but the manga is a masterpiece.
Matros

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:00 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:
Cowboy Bebop and Trigun are the times that the dub is better than the sub version.

Unless you grew up in a different country and aren't blinded by nostalgia.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Not sure about Trigun (having not revisited it in a very long time; also, never having watched it in Japanese), but Cowboy Bebop is definitely one of the few where I'll agree I strongly prefer the dub to the sub. I don't think that's entirely subjective, either; the English VA's did an unusually good job, and the tone of the series lent itself unusually well to an American VA style, in my opinion.
mgree0032

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Matros wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:

Unless you grew up in a different country and aren't blinded by nostalgia.
But some people hate 4kids-style dubs than the dubs that I mentioned. Also, it’s a Los Angeles dub where the quality is much higher.
Ishida_Akira(fake)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:20 pm Reply with quote
mgree0032 wrote:

Tell me you're an American without telling me you're an American.
Not dissing you, it's just that Americans are the only ones I've ever talked to who held that opinion.
Generations

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:20 pm Reply with quote
ninjamitsuki wrote:
The manga is even better. The anime is great, but the manga is a masterpiece.

Ooh, hard disagree on this one. While I admit that there are a lot of things the manga did better -- arguably a better more compelling and three-dimensional Knives, backstories for the entire Gung-Ho Guns, not having some of those terrible anime-only original filler episodes, stuff like that -- I still find the anime's shorter run more focused. The manga had bigger more explosive anime levels of powers and abilities with more focus on the science-fiction-y aspect, which I found not only distracting from the core western setting of the series but also distracts from the simplicity the anime did in combining its science-fiction elements with the western fantasy part. TLDR: the manga feels like a science-fiction power battle shounen, the anime feels more like the scifi-western I wanted but also focuses more on the introspection rather than the spectacle.

I also like that the anime has a focus on a smaller tighter cast, especially the bigger role Millie and Meryl get compared to their lacklustre roles in the manga. I feel like the smaller but more developed cast feels like smaller stories that come together a lot better when it comes to delivering the core theme of the story.
Generations

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Ishida_Akira(fake) wrote:
mgree0032 wrote:

Tell me you're an American without telling me you're an American.
Not dissing you, it's just that Americans are the only ones I've ever talked to who held that opinion.

Not American here, not even close, and I find that statement severely disagreeable. This was one of Johnny Yong Bosch's earliest roles (not his absolute earliest, some of those were terrible), and he did a fantastic job in this -- and one of the reasons I started paying attention to the voice actors in anime.
trilaan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Vash is definitely an allegory for Jesus, Knives is Satan, he's responsible for a literal fall of man. Yasuhiro Nightow is Christian. I'm not much for Jesus but I may love Vash just as much as some people love Jesus. That statement may come across as ridiculous. but I swear it's true.

Trigun holds up despite its faults. I do feel the manga is better, though. That's me. I won't mock anyone for saying differently. But I am sad a 1:1 adaptation is unlikely to ever exist unless a super fan like me funds it. Excuse me, I need to go buy a lottery ticket.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:15 pm Reply with quote
While I certainly did like Trigun, I don't feel, for me at least, that it was a show that I felt I wanted to watch more than once.
Nonaka Machine Gun B

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I watched it, almost to the day, 14 years ago. I remember the non-ending feeling silly, and it not really being a series I ever felt the need to re-visit. I feel like a big part of its popularity was just that there were far less shows/options when it debuted.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:12 pm Reply with quote
I've watched the show during my anime club days and quite honestly, I don't think it's worthy of being a true classic. The show breaks character after the 4th episode and it appeared that the director couldn't make up his mind on whether the show needed to be comedic or dramatic. It's also for this reason why I find it very suspect when some people say they loved the show from beginning to end when the show itself can't maintain consistency.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2022 12:01 am Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I've watched the show during my anime club days and quite honestly, I don't think it's worthy of being a true classic. The show breaks character after the 4th episode and it appeared that the director couldn't make up his mind on whether the show needed to be comedic or dramatic. It's also for this reason why I find it very suspect when some people say they loved the show from beginning to end when the show itself can't maintain consistency.

A major part of Vash's character is that he uses those goofy antics as a disguise. They weren't faked--he's genuinely a lighthearted, fun-loving person--but they were his shield to hide behind when he could, and he only dropped that shield when it was necessary. That's why episode 5, "Hard Puncher," is so impactful. We the viewers spend the first four episodes largely sharing Meryl's opinion of Vash: we see him pull some fun tricks, but there's no way this nut can possibly be the infamous Humanoid Typhoon, right? But then Vash faces his first true threat, and the mask comes off, and the sunglasses go on, and the guitar starts twanging, and you start to realize that yes, this is Vash the Stampede. That's not directorial indecision, that's a deliberate build to a fantastic character moment. Still gives me chills.

(1998 sure was one hell of a year for space westerns with spectacular 5th episodes, wasn't it?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3