• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: The Misfit of Demon King Academy II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryonomiko
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Glad this is being reviewed because I don't think I'd have understood as much otherwise... glad I wasn't the only one feeling lost/confused over ALL of what was in Ep1.

I'm still a bit lost after Ep2 and 3 though, but much better off than before.

Thank-you, Richard.
Zerreth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:41 pm Reply with quote
It's hard for me to tell if it's the slightly different direction or if the new voice actor is a bit too monotone, but I feel like some of the jokes seem to fall a bit flat or just get glazed over a bit faster than usual. On the opposite spectrum, there's a lack of spirit during the rousing speeches that evokes the strong sense of charisma we're expecting Anos to have.

Umehara works well for the "super serious" aspects of Anos (strong performance during the game of wits), but I feel like there's some sense of "too much seriousness" throughout the performance and not the occasional hamminess.

It also probably doesn't help that Suzuki and Hatano also played similar roles with the same kind of power dynamic in Disgaea 4 (Tyrant Demon Lord Valvatorez and loyal servant Fenrich) that has a similar comedy style as Misfit so they're both veterans to this particular style of presentation and flip-flopping of tone.

The multi-book reading joke was most definitely the most memorable so far that's stuck in my memory.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Zerreth wrote:
It's hard for me to tell if it's the slightly different direction or if the new voice actor is a bit too monotone, but I feel like some of the jokes seem to fall a bit flat or just get glazed over a bit faster than usual. On the opposite spectrum, there's a lack of spirit during the rousing speeches that evokes the strong sense of charisma we're expecting Anos to have.

I've had a similar reaction. The spirit of the first season is somewhat lacking here, and between that and Saturday being loaded for titles, it is now far from a top-priority view for me even though I do still find it entertaining.

Last edited by Key on Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Umehara would not have been my first choice to replace Anos. He's not the natural fit or exemplifies his personality as well as Suzuki did, but he's been growing on me in the role. But there's a certain lacking in energy compared to season 1.

Also it just feels like they're throwing so many concepts and characters out there in these first few episodes that it's hard to keep track, especially when I'm more invested in the character relationships than the concrete plot.

I hope Sasha gets her chance to shine in the upcoming episodes.
Cardcaptor Takato

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:12 am Reply with quote
I'm still liking the show but it's like there's too many characters to keep up with and it probably would have helped if I went back to rewatch season one as I haven't seen it since it first aired. But this show is still far better than it has any right being and I also appreciate the animation seems a lot better this season contrary to a lot of other sequel shows lately where it seems like the animation gets worse in the second season.
Ren-kun23

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:29 am Reply with quote
I am really hyped for watching the next episode and this ep was one of the best no doubt in that the interaction between Anos and Ageis was something so cool and it looked like there will be something happening between Anos and Ageis I am hoping to see there battle for sure, about how they ended with the Cliff hanger I wanna know will Anos save misa or he will be force to do something that he won't but still I believe in the anos will do what he thinks is right.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:32 am Reply with quote
As satisfying as Anos being OP is and watching LayxMisa be couple goals, it's hard for me to follow all the lore and characters they're throwing at us. At this point I refer to the new characters by their seiyuu name because I keep forgetting what they're called.

Evil Misa is something though.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:25 am Reply with quote
from the way the reviewer pointed this out, it seems that shin is in a SERIOUS NO WIN SCEÑARIO!

it kinda makes you wonder!

why couldnt he just come to anos & tell him the whole situation instead of doing it himself considering that doing it solo completely backfired for other individuals? (looking at you sasha & ley/kanon) i mean as the acting spirit king, he more or less had to know that god would try to endanger his daughter by erasing her legend and forcing him in this mess so the best course would have been to come to anos in private and explain everything, effectively ending whatever plan he had for misa!

though my biggest fears is that this whole misa arc is completely anime only considering that its usually during this part of a certain arc where the source material readers aka those that read the light novels would be using spoiler tags to aleivate the worries of some anime only viewers!

Last edited by jr240483 on Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ren-kun23

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 8:28 am Reply with quote
Ep 5 was pretty good and pacing of the story was much better than the previous episodes as they tried to cover 12 WN chapters in one ep but in this episode they covered only 1 and half WN chapter so I say it is better.

Hearing Anos laughing was really something liked it a lot, also I am looking forward when anos and Ages meets again.

showing Emilia Sensei again was good and her interaction with Isabella as she saved her while coming outside endangering herself and Anos father also helped in saving while taking himself damage (ofcourse this they really are anos parents)No doubt.

Just because his enemy like eight number he cutted them in 888 times it was pretty cool to see it means that if anyone tries to hurt his parents will sure to be get destroyed or punished until they understand their mistakes and learn from it.(it gives a lot of inspiration form anos)

And the underground city was so beautiful and seeing all the zeshia living together really looks great.

Really Hyped for the next episode where we are gonna see more about shin and Reno.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 10:30 pm Reply with quote
I gotta be honest, the spirit arc felt like a slog to get through for me. But this was a step-up at least in terms of re-focusing on stuff the audience actually cares about and in the characters we want to watch instead of watching Anos meet yet another rando he knew from 2,000 years ago.

Will anyone miss that CG tree?

I wasn't expecting Emilia to come back and get an effective character arc but it was pretty nice and more effective than a lot of the stuff in the past few episodes in my opinion. Also, Best Parents finally return!

Is it just that Misa's chest is more exposed now or did the Legend of Avos Dillhevia come with a boob upgrade? It is kind of amusing to think that Lay created half of his girlfriend.
The Scream Man

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:38 am Reply with quote
Did I miss a story about this series going on hold? It's been a lot of weeks now....

edit: Never mind I found the story of the delay Sad
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I can't say I'm following the nitty gritty of the plot as well but I am invested in the Shin and Leno romance at least.

Also Erdomaid is a lot more entertaining than NousGhalia.
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 12:45 am Reply with quote
i have a feeling that the whole spirit extinction lore dump might have been the reason why shin stabbed misa with his sword , effectively putting that persona to sleep in ep 4!

knowing the real misa, she would outright reject her own legend! even if it means she will ease to exist which in shin eyes, is a fate worse than dying from spirit disease!

definifely makes this scenario a no win for anos which means his will be the second time he knows defeat and loss (the first was when a human working for jerga killed his birth parents 2000 years ago)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MFrontier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:44 pm Reply with quote
It's funny watching Lay cross swords with and give romantic advice to his future father-in-law.

Of course Anos has a Goddess of Creation as a pal. It even sounds like she's in love with him.

Getting to see more insight into Anos the man, and his vulnerabilities, instead of the OP Demon King and how that shaped him into said Demon King was a nice surprise.

But man, Misha has really stolen any screentime/relevance Sasha had this season. I remember when it felt like both sisters felt like more or less equal co-heroines (with Misha getting a slight edge) but it feels like Sasha barely gets any major focus or time with Anos lately.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:20 pm Reply with quote
MFrontier wrote:
It's funny watching Lay cross swords with and give romantic advice to his future father-in-law.

Of course Anos has a Goddess of Creation as a pal. It even sounds like she's in love with him.

Getting to see more insight into Anos the man, and his vulnerabilities, instead of the OP Demon King and how that shaped him into said Demon King was a nice surprise.

But man, Misha has really stolen any screentime/relevance Sasha had this season. I remember when it felt like both sisters felt like more or less equal co-heroines (with Misha getting a slight edge) but it feels like Sasha barely gets any major focus or time with Anos lately.

but her being the reincarnation of the godess of creation!?

i saw ZERO indications in that ep that she was the reincarnation of militia!

hell, there is no indication yet that she actually died! just because she left that message dont necessarily mean that she bit the dust!

also who wouldve though anos would use one of jerga's nephew to spread the new rumor!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2