• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
This Week in Anime - A Toast to Bartender

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:16 am Reply with quote
I remember it being hyped up before airing (this was at the height of the GAR meme) but I don't think it was all that popular when it actually came out. But I still remember watching the first episode. Funnily enough, there was a scene where the guy gets a bottle of water and downs it and that made me really want some water. I'm a teetotaller so the alcohol was never appealing.
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:47 am Reply with quote
I also haven't seen this since I watched the first couple of episodes many years ago. Although I wanted to like the show, I simply couldn't overcome its guffaw-inducingly inaccurate etymology for the word "bartender," which colored the entire experience with that aura of know-it-allness radiated by those at the heights of the Dunning–Kruger effect's "Mount Stupid."

(Although both the "tender" in "bartender" and the "tender" meaning "gentle" passed through the Middle French word tendre, the noun is from Latin tendere or attendere while the adjective is from tener, and there was no confusion between the two when the compound word "bartender" was coined. The anime's version represents exactly the kind of "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" claim I often see Western anime fans making about Japanese words.)

Since so much of the show hinges on such pieces of misapprehended knowledge, I simply couldn't muster up any respect for it.
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Having never watched an episode, just by the screen shots it gives me a Death Parade vibe; backstories of patrons. Would that be accurate?
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Quite accurate, actually. Ryu's just a bit of a catalyst for the story, but very rarely does he interfere in the stories themselves. he just comes up with a relevant drink..

But all I'll say is that episode 7 is pretty damn good.

I have the entire series and the soundtrack. Well worth it.
Covnam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 2:49 am Reply with quote
Sounds interesting, I'll check it out Smile
Cho_Desu

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 4:25 am Reply with quote
Lactobacillus yogurti wrote:
Quite accurate, actually. Ryu's just a bit of a catalyst for the story, but very rarely does he interfere in the stories themselves. he just comes up with a relevant drink..

Makes me think of Midnight Diner (live-action series based on a manga), which I've enjoyed a lot. I don't drink, so any talk about how amazing alcohol is tends to be white noise for me -- but I have a soft spot for series where the episodes are about one-off characters, and the protagonist is just the person who happens to interact with them a bit. (More used to supernatural takes on that in anime though.) Just not as many of those sorts of anime these days.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2023 11:34 am Reply with quote
Bartender was one of the first series I watched when I started with anime around 2006. I was a bit disappointed to discover this fine series was pretty aberrant by the standards of seasonal anime with its stories about mature adults. It remains one of my favorites to this day. The second one about Miwa and her family remains one of the best single episodes of anime I've ever watched. It captures in just a few moments what must have been the enormous strains on Japanese society during the Occupation and the recovery from World War II. Another noteworthy episode is the one with the movie directors discussing Scotch as the "whiskey of rebellion."

Not all episodes worked for me, particularly the Christmas episode. I can't imagine attending a reunion of my middle school, and even more can't imagine taking a copy of my dissertation with me. Still we got to see Ryu perform the magic "double pour" to make a Black Velvet despite the fluid dynamics suggesting it can't be done.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 6:29 am Reply with quote
We also got to see a real bartender pour it. Smile That's one of the things I liked about the series - the end credits live action bits of making the drinks featured in the episode.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1