• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: HIDIVE to Stream alice gear aegis Expansion, Insomniacs after school, Otaku Elf, Too Cute Cris

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yuna49

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I'm finding it harder and harder to justify a HIDIVE subscription. This season I watched Tsurune and Ippon Again. Other than the insomniacs story, which I've been told Is quite good, I have about zero interest in any of these offerings. I don't know whether it's that my tastes don't align with the tastes of the HIDIVE staff, or if they cannot compete against a ten-ton monster like Sony to carry a broader diversity of shows.

In contrast I average about five series per month on Crunchyroll.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Happy to see Hidive licensing more anime, now if only they would work on fixing their apps.
Eddy2

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:14 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
Other than the insomniacs story, which I've been told Is quite good, I have about zero interest in any of these offerings.

What about Oshi no Ko or The Dangers in My Heart? Hidive has the rights to those as well.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm there for Insomniacs After School!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Too Cute Crisis looks like a lot of fun, and I’m really looking forward to it.
-Matthew-

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Bad that Insomniacs won't be streamed by Crunchyroll because I woild like to watch it with Russian subs. Other series that they stream I won't watch.
el_morris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Some interesting picks to watch by August, hopefully by then the ones I'm interested in has spanish subtitles.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:07 pm Reply with quote
Great. I was hoping HIDIVE would start announcing new simulcasts this week. I hope they can pick up at least 5 more shows for Spring.

Edit: Apparently HIDIVE is only streaming 7 shows for Spring. This is somewhat worrysome because they have streamed less simulcasts the past 2 seasons compared to what they did in Summer and Fall of 2022. I hope they rebound in the second half of 2023.

yuna49 wrote:
I'm finding it harder and harder to justify a HIDIVE subscription. This season I watched Tsurune and Ippon Again. Other than the insomniacs story, which I've been told Is quite good, I have about zero interest in any of these offerings. I don't know whether it's that my tastes don't align with the tastes of the HIDIVE staff, or if they cannot compete against a ten-ton monster like Sony to carry a broader diversity of shows.

I assume you didn't like Yo Boy Kongming, the Executioner and Her Way of Life, I am Quitting Heroing, Call of the Night, Made in Abyss season 2, Danmachi IV, Reincarnated as a Sword, Akiba Maid War and Eminence in the Shadow.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:
Great. I was hoping HIDIVE would start announcing new simulcasts this week. I hope they can pick up at least 5 more shows for Spring.

yuna49 wrote:

I assume you didn't like Yo Boy Kongming, the Executioner and Her Way of Life, I am Quitting Heroing, Call of the Night, Made in Abyss season 2, Danmachi IV, Reincarnated as a Sword, Akiba Maid War and Eminence in the Shadow.

I have to agree with you all the shows you listed are really good I personally have been enjoying more of Hidives anime’s lately than some of the stuff that have come out on Crunchyroll.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:21 pm Reply with quote
For some reason, while I've been alright with some of their subtitles, the way they sub the shows I'm super invested in (LotGH, Made in Abyss, etc.) tends to be extremely awkward. Subtitles change size at random, they're placed just close enough to the middle of the screen to be awkward, they vanish way too quickly to read, there are a bunch of awkward grammatical errors...

Honestly, I low-key hope this streaming service goes away and Sentai just lets Crunchyroll have their stuff again.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:11 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Honestly, I low-key hope this streaming service goes away and Sentai just lets Crunchyroll have their stuff again.

If that came to pass, good luck being an anime fan under a monopoly.
Kiwi93

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:19 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:

CR already has a near monopoly on the anime market (at least outside of the Asian region ) them getting Sentais content would pretty much make them a monopoly at that point. Personally I like Hidive and want to see them succeed since they are the only other niche service that focuses on anime (not counting retrocush). I will say that they do need some big QOL improvements which I’m hoping they will seriously work on them to make their service better.
el_morris

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:36 pm Reply with quote
Kiwi93 wrote:
louis6578 wrote:

CR already has a near monopoly on the anime market (at least outside of the Asian region ) them getting Sentais content would pretty much make them a monopoly at that point. Personally I like Hidive and want to see them succeed since they are the only other niche service that focuses on anime (not counting retrocush). I will say that they do need some big QOL improvements which I’m hoping they will seriously work on them to make their service better.

Maybe in the US, Canada, UK and Germany Hidive is functional platform (whatever that means), but it isn't in the rest of the world. Here in latin america for years we struggled with Funimation blocking their series, Sony showed up an fixed the problem and now we have Sentai with their crappy site without full support for our region, I wanted Hidive to be a good option for anime fans here but I gave up on them like 5 years ago.
louis6578

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 8:43 pm Reply with quote
I'll give them credit where it's due. I appreciate that they subtitle most of their songs, unlike Crunchyroll. Their dubs and subs are generally subpar though. If they improve and fix everything they've already gotten wrong, great. I don't see it happening though.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Angel M Cazares wrote:

Edit: Apparently HIDIVE is only streaming 7 shows for Spring. This is somewhat worrysome because they have streamed less simulcasts the past 2 seasons compared to what they did in Summer and Fall of 2022. I hope they rebound in the second half of 2023.

Maybe Oshi no Ko costs them quite a fortune. From what I've seen so far, the show is easily the upcoming season's one of the most hyped shows, if not the most. Competition must've been fierce.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2