• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
PR: ADV Films' UK Titles Back on Shelves from March

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gundam Junkie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Yay!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I guess this is good in the long run. The sooner things are back on the shelves the sooner I might see things like Air and the RahXephon boxset (not just individual volumes) on these shores.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Get Your Anime Fix Here! http://www.advfilms.co.uk
Isn't going to be much of a fix as it's still just a blank page with Azumanga Daioh curtain banners. Great news anyway. Now maybe I can finish Kurau Phantom Memory before I die. (which hopefully won't be until at least 50 years away) Laughing
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alongside the new release schedule, a new sale at HMV and its online counterpart started today Wednesday 5th March, featuring a wide range of ADV Films' titles. Fans who missed out on the warehouse blowout last month would do well to pop down to their local branch or go online to www.hmv.co.uk in order to pick up some serious bargains.

I don't see any ADV stuff on HMV's anime special offers page.

But they do have Little Norse Prince for £5.99 so I'm glad I checked...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Hugh has posted a list of all the items that are on sale here.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Alric

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:44 am Reply with quote
£20 today is equivalent to $40 US which makes the ADV UK disks at least $10 more expensive than the same disks sold in US. And despite this ADV has the courage to blame fansubbers for the failure of their UK business? Sure, fansubbers didn't help profits, but neither did ADV's attempt to price discriminate.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
Alric wrote:
£20 today is equivalent to $40 US which makes the ADV UK disks at least $10 more expensive than the same disks sold in US. And despite this ADV has the courage to blame fansubbers for the failure of their UK business? Sure, fansubbers didn't help profits, but neither did ADV's attempt to price discriminate.

A) This is the wrong thread for that particular rant. Try here.

B) All UK DVDs tend to be more expensive than US DVDs - not just the anime ones. And the same goes for CDs, computer games, clothes, food and most other things. That's partly due to the fact that the cost of living is higher here and partly due to the fact that the dollar has lost a lot of its value relative to the pound over the past few years. All of which is completely out of ADV's (or MVM's, or Manga's, or Bandai's) hands. The RRP of UK anime DVDs is exactly the same as the RRP of live action non-English language movies available in the UK from Tartan, Optimum, Arrow and the other world / arthouse distributors. You just don't generally see fans of world / arthouse movies whining about it and using it as a justification to illegally grab stuff off the internet.
Faceman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Quote:
Get Your Anime Fix Here! http://www.advfilms.co.uk
Isn't going to be much of a fix as it's still just a blank page with Azumanga Daioh curtain banners.

Well, if you highlight the text on the page, I'm getting
advfilms.co.uk wrote:

error '80029c84'
Circular dependency between types/modules.

So hopefully it's just some coding error and will be resovled soon/eventually/maybe?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Lets see, they still don't get that I don't want to pay Bandai Visual prices, thier CEO is a total acehole.

Nope, I think I'll keep reverse importing, ta.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
That ASP error has been on the front page of the site since a few days after the closure and sales were announced. I don't imagine fixing it was really a priority for them what with them about to lose their jobs and having hundreds of orders to fill, and there's now noone there to fix it, at least unless or until Lace or ADV in the US takes over the site.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Brack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
The RRP of UK anime DVDs is exactly the same as the RRP of live action non-English language movies available in the UK from Tartan, Optimum, Arrow and the other world / arthouse distributors.

The key word is Movies. £20 RRP is a fine price to pay for a DVD of a movie. For 3-5 eps of TV quality animation, it's a bit much, not to mention it's totally against how the majority of the DVD industry packages and prices TV shows. Ironically, Lace also distribute VDI Entertainment in the UK, and should have Initial D on the shelves soon at RRP £12.99 for 9 episodes, which is a much better price point for TV anime.

Also, Arrow's RRP tend to be £16-18, £20 is normally their boxset price. And Optimum's tend to be £18-20 (£20 is the normal RRP on the Ghibli stuff, but it looks like most retailers get high discounts on that).

Anyway, Lace have done a lot of handling of distribution of overseas video labels and have been handling ADV for ages anyway so I can't see them having any problems. Once the DVDs start appearing on shelves again, then I suspect we won't even notice there's been any change.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
Which I sad, because I would expect them to at least try to compete with, say, Revolation's price point.

Course, I got away with £20 on a ligit Gad Guard Boxset from Cash Converters so I still have the last laugh.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:13 am Reply with quote
Brack wrote:
The key word is Movies. £20 RRP is a fine price to pay for a DVD of a movie. For 3-5 eps of TV quality animation, it's a bit much

I'd be willing to argue that four episodes of Last Exile from ADV has more artistic merit than a Tinto Brass movie from Arrow Films...

Quote:
not to mention it's totally against how the majority of the DVD industry packages and prices TV shows.

True. But when you have as many viewers, as much exposure and as many other revenue-making possibilities as, say, The Office or The Simpsons, rather different economies of scale generally come into play.
In any case, that's equally true of the US anime industry which is the market that Alric was holding up as a paragon of virtue.

Conan-san wrote:
Course, I got away with £20 on a ligit Gad Guard Boxset from Cash Converters so I still have the last laugh.

Wow. I thought I was the only person in the English-speaking world who liked Gad Guard.
I don't know about the last laugh though - if you'd visited ADV's website last year you could have got the entire series, new, for £2 a volume (with free postage)...I know because I did. Wink
ConanSan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:58 am Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Wow. I thought I was the only person in the English-speaking world who liked Gad Guard.
I don't know about the last laugh though - if you'd visited ADV's website last year you could have got the entire series, new, for £2 a volume (with free postage)...I know because I did. Wink
None of the £20 I gave went to ADV, who certainly don't deserve nothing in the wake of thier nonsence.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
ADV, who certainly don't deserve nothing

I fully agree that ADV certainly don't deserve nothing. Although I'm not sure that's quite what you meant... Rolling Eyes
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2