• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fate/strange Fake (special + TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:39 pm Reply with quote

TV Special: Fate/strange Fake -Whispers of Dawn- (special)
TV Series: Fate/strange Fake (TV)

Source: Light Novel (ongoing @ 8 volumes, written by Ryōgo Narita, illustrated by Morii Shizuki)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: A-1 Pictures

Genres: action, drama, magic, mystery, supernatural, tournament

Themes: conspiracy, knights, legendary warriors, mythology, sorcery, spirits, survival game, tragedy

Plot Summary: The Holy Grail War: a competition in which Mages summon Heroic Spirits and vie against each other in pursuit of the Holy Grail, a wish-granting machine that can grant any and all wishes.

Several years after the conclusion of the Fifth Holy Grail War in Japan, the next war is about to manifest in a place called Snowfield in the western United States. It is a Holy Grail War that is full of false things. Mages and Heroic Spirits have gathered together on a false pedestal.

Even though they know that this is a false Holy Grail War, they continue to dance on the pedestal. What is true and what is false will be settled in the next life. They do it not for the Holy Grail but to uphold their own beliefs and nothing more.

Air Date & Platform:
Special: July 2, 2023 (Sunday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

TV Series: Pending
Available on: Pending

Episode Count / Runtime:
Special: 55 minutes
TV Series: Pending
----------------------------------

Probably gonna' be a while till the actual TV series comes out, but here's a placeholder to, at least, talk about the special.

I've always loved the Fate/ universe. The concept of the Holy Grail War, its masters and servants and their various backstories, the roller coaster of emotions of who lives and dies, and, of course, the epic action sequences are all quite the spectacle.

I guess this special could be considered a kind of preview or prologue? I usually avoid specials and Episode 0's because I feel they have the potential to spoil things way too soon. But I enjoy the lore and mythos of Fate/ so much, I had to give this a look.

I've only seen the original Fate '05 series, all of Zero, the truncated Unlimited Blade Works movie and the more fleshed-out TV series, and 2 out of 3 of the Heaven's Feel movies. I tried playing the visual novel a few years ago, but got busy and stopped around the beginning of the Fate path (like, right before Shiro summoned Saber). I will probably go watch that 3rd HF movie and start the novel over very soon, now that this special got me back in the mood.

I will do a more in-depth review of the special with all the fixin's when I have more time. But if anybody else wants to chime in, while the premiere is still fresh, feel free to Very Happy.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1