• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Anime for Korean Winter Sonata TV Drama Hit Confirmed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dizzywulf

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Hahahahahaha!
Best evar!
I'm excited about this one!! Laughing
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:40 pm Reply with quote
There already was an anime Bae Yong Joon in Nerima Daikon Bros., and we don't need another. Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Wow, it only took them four years to come up with the concept to make an anime based on this series. I remember when the boom started back in 2004. Japanese women were absolutely going crazy about the "Yong-Sama" fad, and whenever he would come to Narita Airport it was not a quiet arrival.
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:19 pm Reply with quote
Just won't be the same without Yon-sama.
tasogarenootome

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Yon-sama can finally unleash his inner bishounen and bring older female fans back to anime. I see his schemes for what they are now.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Weird! Well there are better kdramas to make anime of but YEAH!
Egan Loo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 5:22 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Wow, it only took them four years to come up with the concept to make an anime based on this series. I remember when the boom started back in 2004.

They've been working on this anime concept for a long time, actually. One reason it took so long happens to be the perfect segue for this:

Zoe wrote:
Just won't be the same without Yon-sama.

Bae Yong-Joon will be involved…from a certain point of view. The last remaining hurdle that Total Promotion had to overcome last year was getting permission to use Bae's likeness. The anime project will not only have permission to use Bae's likeness, but Bae's company Key East is footing part of the bill and producing it.
TNaran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:14 pm Reply with quote
The WORST soap opera I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.

The lead heroine is such a fickle, shallow human being, I was rooting for her to lose BOTH love interests. It's just... so... awful. Anime hyper;

And the plot? It would have found a home in American day-time soaps in the 1980's. Back when "sci-fi" plots were all the rage (think twin-brother but real amnesiac story lines).
MrVince

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Every Korean lady I know swears by this series. Is it really that good? It sounds like this series is the paramount of Korean drama. Is that true?
rg4619

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Is it really that good?

It's rather heavy-handed and cheesy (amateurish acting, script, and direction too). After stumbling upon an episode on TV, I checked online and couldn't believe the hype it was getting.

Nevertheless, I really enjoyed the show after another episode or two. Story issues aside, the scenery and music are gorgeous, which makes for a striking romantic atmosphere.

Quote:
It sounds like this series is the paramount of Korean drama.

Winter Sonata was very popular in Korea. However, I think it's mainly the Japanese market (and to a slightly lesser extent, other Asian countries) that places the series on a pedestal.
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:42 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think they should make a Korean soap anime with Bobby Lee. Cool
MrVince

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
rg4619 wrote:
Quote:
It sounds like this series is the paramount of Korean drama.

Winter Sonata was very popular in Korea. However, I think it's mainly the Japanese market (and to a slightly lesser extent, other Asian countries) that places the series on a pedestal.

Thanks for answering my question. Sounds like it's held in a higher regard by foreigners than by Korean.
kazana144

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
It's an okay series, but after hearing the plot of korean drama after korean drama, they all really turn out to be the same. Winter Sonata is no different, but I'm particularly annoyed at this show because my parents play the soundtrack at home every second they get.

It'll be a fun series, it might get some people interested in korean dramas interested in anime as well.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I see all the Japanese women getting all excited again, and I see an increase in anime sales by at least 25% in Japan, thanks to this Cool
Shippoyasha

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:26 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't say the drama was all that heavyhanded or cheesy by K-Drama standards. It's actually pretty low key for a K-Drama in my experience.

And I would disagree that it's badly made. It sported one of the higher budgets and the visuals looked better than the usual soap opera fare. It has a chance on being a good conversion with the right amount of K-drama style comedy and romance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2