• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obdurate

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Top 10
in no particular order.

1. Jin-Roh
I loved the storyline. While the animation doesn't meet "today's standards" it was very beautifully done. The ending...just wow.

2. Elfen Lied
So yea, it left a little to be desired if you're rediculously pickey. I myself loved it. It was entertaining, dramatic in parts and symbolic in others, at least to me.

3. Rozen Maiden
It's a freeking doll kicking butt. While I havn't watched all of it (working on it), I love what I see. It's creative so far, and funny to see a foot-tall doll order a kid around.

4. Onegai Sensei!/Onegai Teacher!/Please Teacher!
Call me a woman, I don't care. A fun little love story that kept me watching and doesn't seem to get old. The kid's inability to make real decisions frustrated me a bit, but it all worked out in the end.

5. Ghost in the Shell
The movie was very well done in my oppinion. I'm in love with anything military and this was a goldmine. The fact that she had to strip down to go invisible. Am I a pervert? Maybe, but this was realistic, or at least more realistic than *poof you can't see me!*

6. Gundam Wing: Endless Walts
This is where I'm horrible; I can't for the life of me remember the names of who/what anything is in anime. All I can say is that near the end, the one with the white wings that Zero piloted, that image alone made me love it.

7. Princess Mononoke
Wonderful. Simply wonderful. I loved the storyline, how they did it, the imagery. It was simply a feast for the senses for me.

Ran out of time so the rest won't be explained:
8.FLCL
9.Chobits
10.Paranoia Agent

Least Fav. 5

5.One Piece
4.Naruto
3.Inuyasha - It died for me.
2.Dragonball Z
1.Tenchi Muyo (any of it)
Casey Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:08 pm Reply with quote
Whats up everyone,

Im new here and i thought I should make my first post here.

Been an anime fan for at least 10 years now, im 26 currently.

I like all anime but definetly have a preference for middle ages/swords and knights/fantasy and magic type anime (D&D style). I also like serious and dark anime, not that kiddy or cutey type anime.

As for my anime list, here it goes:

#1 - BERSERK - By far my favorite anime of all time. Wanted to actually name myself gatsu but the name was, not surprisingly, already taken. The story is deep and the characters are cool. However, the real thing that seperates it, other than the unique story/relation between gatsu and griffith, is the fact that it is a serious and dark anime and doesn't have any of that cutesey nonsense like other animes.

#2 - GUNGRAVE - I REALLY liked the sory in gungrave as well. In some ways it is similar to berserk and I guess thats why i like it. Similar in that it is about 2 friends that have a lot of love for each other, but whose paths collide. I dont really like the action/sci fi nonsense really (im more of a swords and knights - fantasy - fan) but the story was so good and ending so sad that it was a real good anime.

#3 - VAMPIRE HUNTER D (BLOODLUST) - What can i say, cool vampire, cool enemies, nice action, and AWESOME animation (one thing i have to admit Berserk was lacking). Nuff said.

#4 - COWBOY BEBOP - The series and movie. Just an all around well rounded anime. Good story, characters, and animation. Definetly a classic.

#5 - BASTARD! - Not to many people no about bastard! or like it, but i thought it was real entertaining. Not an anime that will touch you (like berserk or gungrave), but funny, flashy, and fun.

#6 - SAMURAI CHAMPLOO - Real good anime. Its the unique style of it that sets it apart from the rest. Takes place in fuedal Japan but has a retro hip-hop style to it and great characters and animation. Unique and good.

#7 - SPAWN - THe anime version of this comic which appeared on HBO late at night with all the curses and gore was REALLY good. Unfortunately they stopped making it so it was never completed (the story). However, it is dark and serious and was very good.

#8 LODOSS WAR - Both the TV and OAV. Like i said, i like fantasy type D&D style anime so this was right up my alley.

#9 - NOIR - I dont really have much to say about Noir other than i liked it.

#10 - HELLSING - Nice action and cool characters, ok story.

Notable mentions: 12 Kingdoms, X TV, Last Exile, Naruto, GI Joe & TMNT (like it a lot, dont know if qualifies as "anime"), Aeon Flux.

Worst list:

#1 - Def ALL kiddy type cartoons like Yu ghi o (is that how you spell it?), pokemon, etc. OK for little kids i guess, but not mature audiences.

#2 - SAMURAI 7 - That it was complete garbage and i have The 7th Samurai on DVD (im also a japanese samurai/kung fu movie buff) amd i thought they disgraced such a great classic.

#3 - SAMURAI DEEPER KYO - garbage

#4 - RAXEPHON - I can understand why some would like this, but I hate it when anime gets way too philisophical and the story just becomes too far out. It gets to strange in my opinion. Thats what happened here.

#5 - WOLFS RAIN - Ok till the end but i thought ending was so bad that it killed the whole thing.

Anime i want to see in near future (let me know any feedback over whether i should see the following):[/b]

Claymore (fantasy and looks real cool), Full metal alchemist, Now and then, here and there (the fact that everyone says its so dark makes me want to see it bad), Elfen lied (same comment as before)
sj21

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Don't pay attention to that.

Last edited by sj21 on Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:47 am Reply with quote
Olliff wrote:
Naruto

Ninjas that wear orange, annoying main characters, an obsession with ramen gags and even more filler than Bleach, makes the list of Naruto’s offenses very long. To a lesser extent than Bleach, the series misuses its at times slow pacing. Instead of using the slow pacing to develop a more complex story line or explore physiological facets, Naurto uses its slow pacing as excuse to put off an exciting part to the next episode. It’s truly disappointing.

I couldn't agree more. Blatant plagiarism from Hunter x Hunter (the same seiyuu for the main characters should ring alarm bells) makes it even worse, in my view.

My top and bottom 5:

Top:

1. Only Yesterday. Great Ghibli movie, with equal parts retrospection and drama, coupled with a dash of comedy.

2. Fullmetal Alchemist. Great story, themes, philosophy and characters. Fight scenes never drag, making its merchadise ethically justifiable. :p

3. Hunter x Hunter. Might move up after I see more episodes. So far, it's very creative, well-paced, and even improves on the manga in some places, which happens less than once a blue moon.

4. Rurouni Kenshin: Reminiscence Surpasses its manga once again. Choosing to eschew the comedy (except for that one scene with Izuka) makes it equal to some of Ghibli's best. Certainly one of the best historical animes I've seen.

5. The Girl Who Flew Through Time. Lots of humour, coupled with an unexpected twist (in most senses of the word) make this worth rewatching several times.

Worst 5:

1. DBZ. Filler, filler and a cliche plot. Resurrections and reincarnations that would short-circuit the Buddist rebirth system.

2. Naruto. As aforementioned, it plagiarised from something earlier and better. It got away with it because it had greater exposure. Much greater exposure. The first season was acceptable, but the filler AND summary episodes turn this into a giant yawn-fest. Good for members of Fight Club wanting an exit. Wink

3. Blood: TLV. Blatant cash-in on Ghost in the Shell. Cameron's cover-comment makes this clear.

4. Pokemon. Most in the west believe that Digimon stole ideas from Pokemon. The opposite is the reality.

5. Death Note. I know it's popular, but it never really did it for me. The movies surpass it in all ways possible, IMO. Too much dialogue, monotone voice actors and the Higuchi arc (although they did abridge it from the manga) make it the worst "suspense"-filled anime I've seen.

Fun YouTube links (somewhat related):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byaBrkSbmy4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK36C23EUqA&feature=related
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:32 am Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Blatant plagiarism from Hunter x Hunter (the same seiyuu for the main characters should ring alarm bells) makes it even worse, in my view.

First of all, I find it funny that your username comes from the same series if you hate it so much. But also, Naruto has never plagiarized HXH (or anything for that matter) -- the only reason they have the same VA as the main character is because they both happened to fit the voice, and even so, that has nothing to do with plagiarism because both came in manga form first. If it had, it wouldn't still be published anymore. Popular shounen tend to follow the same pattern anyway thanks to SJ's lame editors.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:
Blatant plagiarism from Hunter x Hunter (the same seiyuu for the main characters should ring alarm bells) makes it even worse, in my view.

First of all, I find it funny that your username comes from the same series if you hate it so much. But also, Naruto has never plagiarized HXH (or anything for that matter) -- the only reason they have the same VA as the main character is because they both happened to fit the voice, and even so, that has nothing to do with plagiarism because both came in manga form first. If it had, it wouldn't still be published anymore. Popular shounen tend to follow the same pattern anyway thanks to SJ's lame editors.

Yeah. I had the misfortune of watching Naruto before watching any of Hunter x Hunter.

If you don't think that Naruto stole ideas from Hunter x Hunter, I suggest you compare the Hunter Exam to the events just before and during the Forest of Death.

IIRC, Hunter x Hunter came before Naruto.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
If you don't think that Naruto stole ideas from Hunter x Hunter, I suggest you compare the Hunter Exam to the events just before and during the Forest of Death.

IIRC, Hunter x Hunter came before Naruto.

Yes, I know that. But I still disagree that the these events were "stolen" for the reasons already mentioned about. If you can factually prove to me that it was copied, then I'll believe you. But really, you should go making false claims like this without proof. They are similar -- that's it. (And I read part of the Hunter Exam and didn't notice any similarities.) It seems everything these days is guilty until proven innocent. Rolling Eyes

It's like how people think that the Naruto vs. Neji fight scene was stolen from the Cowboy Bebop movie, but in reality both were taken (though not "stolen") from Bruce Lee.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, you need to read the first four volumes to get to the end of the Hunter exam. By then, the plagiarism should become apparent.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:09 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
Well, you need to read the first four volumes to get to the end of the Hunter exam. By then, the plagiarism should become apparent.

OK, well that's all I read and didn't think it was at all similar to Naruto. The only thing similar about it was that there was an exam with a tournament. Generic shounen practice.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Aromatic Grass wrote:
HyugaHinata wrote:

OK, well that's all I read and didn't think it was at all similar to Naruto. The only thing similar about it was that there was an exam with a tournament. Generic shounen practice.

It's not just that. It's also spoiler[the idea of capturing your prey's badges. Not at all different from obtaining a scroll from an opposing group.]
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:48 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
It's not just that. It's also spoiler[the idea of capturing your prey's badges. Not at all different from obtaining a scroll from an opposing group.]

Although I happen to completely agree with you (that Naruto borrowed a tremendous amount of content from HxH), that's not what this thread is for. Move the discussion elsewhere (like a PM or another thread), or do not have it at all.
tsubasafan1993

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:01 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5 is really hard to decide because I have seen so many but if I have to decide.

1. Nagasarete Airantou
The Reason I Like This right now (on ep. 6) Is because it never ceased to make me laugh It is a great comedy about a boy who runs away from home boards a ship falls overboard and washes up into Airantou island. This island is extremely special though because it is only populated by females all the men have died off And EVERYONE wants to be the new guys bride so far it keeps going on about the misadventures on the island but it is a great comedy and somewhat of a romance.

p.s. Suzu is also quite a looker

2. Love Hina
Yet again another great anime that never ceases to make you laugh. It also makes you laugh at the actions f what keitaro does on accident + Narusegawa is scary at some points in the show it makes you think oh my god he's gonna die and then makes you laugh and think wait a sec why am I scared Also Naru is quite a looker as well spoiler[Naru and Keitaro look so good together in the last episode when they get together.]

3. Goshuushou-sama Ninomiya-kun
Just makes you laugh I only saw episode 1 but man the way they tease Ninomiya... I'm still laughing Laughing

4. Myself Yourself
I'm a sucker for romance and this one is a real tear jerker Crying or Very sad

5. Dragonball Z
I know it had a lot of crappy fillers but then i was only watching it to see people get hurt Twisted Evil

I Really wonder what i look like now combine smiling crying laughing and a twisted devil face. Smile Laughing Crying or Very sad Twisted Evil
Yukonxcr

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Well, like others, I thought posting my top 10 would be a good way to start off my posting career on the forums. Think of me as a long time reader, first time poster i guess. I wouldn't necessarily say I ranked each from 1 to 10, there is definitely some flex room.

FLCL- To me, this anime has drawn even greater importance to me as I grow older and look more into the underlying meanings within the show. I first saw this show when I was making the transition from 8th Grade, into High School. However, now that I am in college, I look back to that time in my life, and find myself directly attributing FLCL to it at times. The show, while crazy and jumbled on the surface, draws many elements from the chaos of growing up. With metaphors up the wazoo and likeable cast of characters, FLCL remains my favorite to this day.

Neon Genesis Evangelion – A mainstay among many fans’ collections, I am no different. To me, NGE was all about the characters. Each one had their own very deep and distinct personality and mission, driven by their past, present, and future. My first run through the series, I was left entranced by the deep plot, but even more so the progression of the characters, from where they begin, to where they eventually end up. There is a reason this anime has such a following, however this varies vastly depending on who you ask.

Samurai Champloo – This anime’s combination of a certain edgy style, and it’s interesting if albeit loosely connect storylines, make this a show I find myself returning to time and time again. This anime combines a balance of crazy fun adventures, with serious and strong plots. Samurai Champloo, is the type of show that I can just pop in an episode and enjoy.

Cowboy Bebop – You never forget your first, and that is exactly what I consider Cowboy Bebop. Driven by a unique style and sense of adventure, Cowboy Bebop leaves me satisfied every time I watch it. Even years after first watching it, I still find it to be one of my favorites.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days – A truly magical story. Having seen a fair amount of publicity over this anime’s North American release, I soon learned that it was in fact well deserved. Capturing the essence of young love while mixing in a much more serious Science Fiction sub plot would on the surface be an almost impossible task to accomplish well. However, “The Place Promised in Our Early Days” combines two seemingly separate genres into a masterfully crafted story. My first time watching it, I was almost in tears from happiness, which for me, says something fairly significant.

Death Note- Driven by twisting storyline, and a powerful mystery, Death Note really stands out as a fresh and deeply entertaining anime. The show does a great job in slowly building up suspense, until before I know it, a major bombshell drops and the story takes a sharp twist. Death brings an energy and excitement to watching it as you sit in for one crazy ride. There is truly a deeply intelligent plot which drives this anime more than anything. Drawing from a seeming simple plot devise at first glance, the show quickly builds itself to be extremely satisfying.

Eureka Seven –When I first began watching Eureka Seven, I wasn’t sure if it was going to be something I would enjoy. It wasn’t until around episode 6 or so, that I really started to get into it. Eureka Seven brings to life a tale of many different layers. Its major success however, stems from the development of the main characters. The Geckosate’s crew changes significantly from where they are at episode 1, creating a believable and enjoyable experience. Like a few of my other favorites, I find the most enjoyment out of the character development, rather than the plot itself.

Kino’s Journey – Kino’s Journey brings a multitude of issues into an almost dreamlike state. Kino’s travels from country to country each bring a different and somewhat obscure look at humans in general. Sometimes the reasoning behind a country’s laws and values can seem to quite sadistic or perverse. However each experience brings with it a deeper meaning, making me very much examine my own values and even sometimes draw connections to real life issues. Kino’s Journey presents a satisfying Journey in itself leaving me thinking and questioning.

Dual! Parallel Trouble Adventure – Cliché, and unoriginal some have called this anime. Although I’ll be the first to admit that this show most definitely draws many elements from other successful shows that came before it, Dual adds it own flavor and twist, which makes for a very enjoyable ride. Most of all however, out of the many different titles I have watched, this anime has an ending which actually left me satisfied, which many shows (including others on my list) have not. I consider this a “guilty pleasure” of sorts.

Vandread – By now, I may be have already started to show my hand in terms of my favorite genres. Like “Dual!” I can safely say this is a guilty pleasure of mine as well. A combination of light hearted adventures with more serious plots at times in conjunction with a male to female ratio of something along the lines of 1:20, makes Vandread very enjoyable. Whether it is the quirks and awkward moments of the two genders making contact with each other for the first time or high energy atmosphere of the crew throughout most of the story, I always seem to find a smile in watching Vandread.

As for my least favorites, I don’t really have any dislikes that stick out to me. Usually if I can’t get into something after a few episodes, unless I feel like something may be building, I will frequently not continue with the show. In doing that, I don’t believe it would be fair of me to rate a show that I have not watched in its entirety, especially negatively. One thing I do dislike however is red jelly beans! Hopefully that will suffice. Evil or Very Mad
ShadowCloud62

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I must admit, heh, heh, I don't have a top 10...I'll do top 5 best and worst I have seen.

*in descending order*

I'll start with worst:

5. Inuyasha: Yes, shoot me if you must. I'm sorry, but it's overrated, the characters were a bit annoying after a while, the fillers galore, and not to mention--NARAKU. Again, no offense to those who love it.

4. Digimon Frontier: It was tolerable, but still, the storyline was a bit weak and the characters didn't seem to do much development.

3. Pokemon (anything after Johto): Good Lord, what happened to it? All it is now is just 'Ash and gang find rare Pokemon, Team Rocket flies in, Pikachu saves the day'. I mean, seriously, come on!

2. Anything Dragonball: I'm sorry, I have tried to watch this--it just bugs the hell out of me. The story, the characters, the resurrections--it's just too much.

1. Naruto: *dodges flying tomatoes* I'm sorry, but I have to gouge my eyes out everytime a fan posts in a forum "OMFG, SASUKE ISH TEH SMEXEST!!!111!!!". Naruto is overrated. It is crap. The characters suck and there are too many fillers. Overall, it's just annoying.

Now, I'm gonna get the favorites in:

5. Pokemon (Indigo Season): Brilliant. The storylines were good enough, and the characters had depth. Heck, the pokemon had depth, too!

4. Neon Genesis Evangelion: Excellent, the characters were very well in-depth. However, this is one anime you can't watch too much, otherwise you will be depressed.

3. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: The basic outline is interesting enough, and the futuristic world is pretty cool.

2. Trigun: Honorable mention to Vash. ^^ I didn't watch all of it, but it did enterain me.

And numero uno for me is...

1. Fullmetal Alchemist: I could talk about this for hours. Anime hyper The characters were so real, and I could relate to most of them, the storyline was compelling, I was always at the edge of my seat or begging for more. I discovered FMA when I was going through a hard time--so I guess I owe so much to it. ^^ Cheesy, I know, but hey, I'm an otaku for it, what can I say? Anime hyper But seriously, it's number one here. FMA is always going to have a special place in my heart. ^^
Hao-sama

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:48 am Reply with quote
First post ^^!! very hard question but I will try
1. Ah! My Goddess(all OVAS,Mini Goddess,Movie,TV):
So fun, pure comedy,nice drama, very original plot and awesome characters =)!
2.Digimon(Adventure,Savers,Tamers,Adventure 02 and Frontier :S!)
The very first anime that hooked me into the world of the japanese animation,my instant classic ^^
3.Gundam SEED/Destiny: The 1rst Gundam series and is just great, interesting characters, good plot,awesome fights,so fun!
4.Code Geass: Very well done serie, good graphics, excellent story development and great characters(specially Lelouch and Karen ^^)!!
5.Mazinkaiser: Simple but awesome OVAS, my first favourite mecha ever n_n!
6.Fate/Stay Night: I have seen it like 3 times and still can watch it again,good drama,action and original, we want Fate/hollow artaxia *-*!!!
7.A tie between Trigun and GunXSword
Both great series,cool story,fun characters and plenty of action
8.Shaman King: Fun series,great fights,except for the last episode ruin everything U_u but the rest just way to cool ^^
9.Full Metal Alchemist: I just have seen it a few weeks ago, and is just amazing series. The best thing of the series is the original plot and development that not many modern series have.
10.??? too hard Un_n

Of course there are plenty of other great series, but they are remarkable
Now the worst 5, please don't hate me about the list

1. Pokemon: I was a fan of the series, but after a while the plot is totally boring, pour mounster design, I regret watching that series
2.Dragon Ball: The only great thing aboyt this series is non-stop action, but the plot is so boring,nothing special
3.AIR: I heard that this series was awesome, but it isn't. If you love shoujo series you might like it, but it was boring, only the music was gorgeous but the rest, nothing!
4.Evangelion: Another series that is interesting the first episodes but then is boring. Even other series that have depressive character have a better plot, and spoiler[whats so cool that in the end everybody dies -,-!] only Rei Ayanami is cool from this series
5.Saint Seiya: Since I was a kid, I never liked the series, just can't watch it for a while, I feel like I must change the channel.

[EDIT: Don't disable BBCode if you're going to post spoilers, because if you do the spoiler tags won't work.~Zalis]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 122