• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
So why is Fate/Stay Night called...Fate/Stay Night?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gingy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:27 am Reply with quote
Anybody know what this name was chosen as the title?? Why is the game/anime called Fate/Stay Night....wikipedias no help...is there supposed to be some symbolism or hidden meaning or something?? The only thing I could some up was most of the story takes place during the night....that explains night....maybe...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
As is often the case, it could be just because it sounds cool. Or it also might make a little more sense in Japanese. (stay night might at least sound more grammatically correct). Or if it does have an actual reason behind it it might be from the other story paths not followed by the anime. If you haven't already you should look into them.
r-18

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 4:20 am Reply with quote
If you want an exercise in confusion trying to figure out why an anime an anime has it's particular name is a good place to start getting your grey hair.
I stopped wondering a long time ago and yes you can find reasons behind some of them perhaps most, but Bleach, flcl, and many others i don't even try.
Sigkill

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:25 am Reply with quote
I had read somewhere that it was really just because the creators thought it sounded cool. Similar to FLCL, where the creators thought it sounded "American", whatever that means.

Really, Type-Moon is known for their funny Engrish, and they probably know it. Just take a look at Melty Blood, a doujin fighter of theirs, whose loading screen has scrolling high-larious Engrish.
Martin_g

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
If you want an exercise in confusion trying to figure out why an anime an anime has it's particular name is a good place to start getting your grey hair.
I stopped wondering a long time ago and yes you can find reasons behind some of them perhaps most, but Bleach, flcl, and many others i don't even try.

I don't know about flcl, but bleach seems easy enough. Ichigo's hair looks like it is bleached. Not a big deal in the states but in japan bleached hair probably stands out a lot more.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:21 am Reply with quote
Martin_g wrote:
Quote:

I don't know about flcl, but bleach seems easy enough. Ichigo's hair looks like it is bleached. Not a big deal in the states but in japan bleached hair probably stands out a lot more.

I once heard it was also the name of a clothing line Tite Kubo liked, and the characters subsequently wear.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Gingy wrote:
Anybody know what this name was chosen as the title?? Why is the game/anime called Fate/Stay Night....wikipedias no help...is there supposed to be some symbolism or hidden meaning or something?? The only thing I could some up was most of the story takes place during the night....that explains night....maybe...

Fate is the name of the first scenario in the original game, but doesn't actually really mean that much. I have no clue why there's the slash and then the "Stay Night", but like others have said, Type-Moon probably just thought it sounded cool and tacked it on there.

Martin_g wrote:

There's three fan-accepted ideas as to why Bleach is called what it is.

(1) Like you said, Ichigo's hair looks like it's bleached orange since orange is definitely not a normal hair color, even by anime standards.

(2) Ichigo and co. are shinigami that "cleanse" hollows, thus performing the function of bleach (which also "cleanses").

(3) The most popular one, suggests that Kubo took his name from the Nirvana album Bleach. This is supported by the fact that Kubo is known to be a big Nirvana fan.
Gingy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Oh...then I can understand why that scenario is called fate then...perhaps it has to do with Saber accepting her fatespoiler[as King Arthur] instead of trying to change it....Stay night is stilla mystery...
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 12:03 am Reply with quote
Yeah, the fate part definitely makes sense. Fate is an underlying theme somewhat. I think it's meant to be read like "Fate: Stay Night" based on the fact that the sequel game and prequel novel are called Fate/Hollow Ataraxia and Fate/Zero respectively. So I assume "Fate" to be the main title and the rest to be the sub-title.

Edit: Interestingly enough, according to Wikipedia: "The word ataraxia in the title is a Greek term for tranquility, giving the title the combined meaning of 'empty (or false) tranquility'."

Fate/Zero also potentially makes sense in reference to it being the zero-th installment in the series chronologically if you look at the original (Stay Night) as the first. That just leaves Stay Night as the only one that makes no sense.
violented16

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
r-18 wrote:

This is kinda odd, I wondered why Bleach had its name. Now I have no proof since I looked it up a long time ago but the reason I found is this: The creature loved the American band named Nirvana. Thus is why Iruhara looks a lot like Kurt Cobain and the first Nirvana CD is named Bleach so it kinda all strings together.

Now I'm not 100% on this but it does kinda make sense, well if it was true about him liking Nirvana then it fits together.
kakitamike

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 10:26 am Reply with quote
I always wondered how they came up with the name " Full Metal Panic" Usually I can make sense of a series name, but there are a few oddball ones.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quote
kakitamike wrote:
I always wondered how they came up with the name " Full Metal Panic" Usually I can make sense of a series name, but there are a few oddball ones.

I always assumed it was because of the mecha ('Full Metal') and...well...there's a lot of...panicking? I honestly don't know either, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
kakitamike wrote:

I always assumed it was because of the mecha ('Full Metal') and...well...there's a lot of...panicking? I honestly don't know either, though.
I always suspected it was also playing off the movie title "Full Metal Jacket" as well.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:26 pm Reply with quote
As for Furi Kuri, it's a sound occasionally found in manga referring to breast groping and this fits due to the awkward and sexualized humor of the show. I think certain series that people often how/why the title is called what is may even have this answer (similar to previous responses on this thread): The creators just chose something random and distinctive that's not necessarily supposed to make sense. Somewhat similarly, one of the abstract phrases I like to say to people a lot that has isn't supposed to make any sense whatsoever is "bootlegging chocolate hamsters on EBay".
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:28 pm Reply with quote
Here's my theory on the Stay Night portion of the name. Originally Fate/Stay Night was a hentai game and as with most hentai games asking a character to stay [the] night has sexual implications. Even if it's not correct it's a working interpretation and there certainly are a lot of characters that stay the night in this series. Wink

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2