• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New English Emma Trailer, Website Posted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Ah, we actually get to she the characters in this new trailer. Looks very nice, and I love the music. I believe it's the opener, if I'm not mistaken.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kokuryu

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:31 pm Reply with quote
No, its the expanded "next episode" preview for an episode.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to seeing my name in the credits... That will be cool...
Chibi-kun

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:34 pm Reply with quote
I am just excited to hear al the different accents that can be brought out of this Anime with VAs not to mention I love this series and used it to turn my mom.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Chibi-kun wrote:
I am just excited to hear al the different accents that can be brought out of this Anime with VAs not to mention I love this series and used it to turn my mom.

BTW, there's no dub, and seiyuu don't do accents. Razz

Anyways, Rightstuf already had an Emma website up a long time ago, didn't they? Are they doing it like shops with a "soft" opening then later the real "grand opening." Laughing
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:03 pm Reply with quote
This is one show that actually could have used a dub, but if they did the crap they usually do like have VA's fake British accents, it wouldn't have counted. Only genuine British VA's would have given it justice.
MARl0

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
No dub = no purchase for me. I refuse to support localized anime that doesn't feature a dub.
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
kokuryu wrote:
No, its the expanded "next episode" preview for an episode.

Actually, I looked it up. The preview song and the opener are the same song. The preview version is just shorter is all.

walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Only genuine British VA's would have given it justice.

Which would have made it an expensive dub, I'm sure. With that in mind, it makes sense why they aren't dubbing it. It probably would have been difficult to break even had they hired genuine British VAs. Besides, I'd rather watch something subtitled than be subjected to a "fake" dub. Plus, I love the manga, so I'll definitely be buying this series. Dubbed or not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:

Which would have made it an expensive dub, I'm sure. With that in mind, it makes sense why they aren't dubbing it. It probably would have been difficult to break even had they hired genuine British VAs. Besides, I'd rather watch something subtitled than be subjected to a "fake" dub.

Well, what if they dubbed it straight up like the Japanese did? Wink
Jedi General

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

If that were the case, I'd commend them for making the effort to bring us a dub, but I'd still rather watch subtitled because:

Lack of geniune British accents in the English dub = fail

Last edited by Jedi General on Fri May 30, 2008 12:10 am; edited 2 times in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

I'd still rather watch subtitled. If that were the case, I'd still be boycotting the dub anyway.

Lack of geniune British accents = fail.

For the Japanese, it's an entirely different ballgame. It would have most likely been painfully unbearable if the they had attempted to utilize accents while still speaking in Japanese, and hiring British actors would have been impractical.

That doesn't make sense. Why two sets of rules? Confused
Jedi General

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:24 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:

Didn't see your reply until after I'd edited my post.

Anyway, if there were an English dub, but I can't hear genuine accents then I simply won't watch it dubbed. But, I seeing as how I still want to watch this series, I'll watch it subtitled since it's the only other option available. How hard is that to understand?

Bah, whatever.

In other words, I'm just being anal because of the fact that I love British accents so much. I don't care if make sense to you or not. It makes sense to me, and that's all that matters.
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
I was really happy when Rightstuf announced they licensed Emma. I immediately ordered both box sets when I heard. I'm impatiently waiting for the first season to come my way. I am glad they they got the Gazettes from the Japanese releases.

Jedi General wrote:
I love the music.

Silhouette of a Breeze is indeed a nice song. I'll eventually get around to getting the soundtracks. I was planning to get them sooner but then I heard that the Revolutionary Girl Utena soundtracks were going to be re-released in a box set, so they got pushed to the back.

Quote:
Plus, I love the manga, so I'll definitely be buying this series. Dubbed or not.

Having seen the first season and read the manga, if you love the manga, you'll love the series. In fact, I think that, in the beginning, the series flows a little better than the manga. While I also would have liked an English dub, the Japanese voice actors do an excellent job. I was hoping that they would have the characters speaking in this trailer so that you could have heard them.

Quote:
In other words, I'm just being anal because of the fact that I love British accents so much. I don't care if make sense to you or not. It makes sense to me, and that's all that matters.

Makes sense to me. In Hakim's case though, he would have an Indian accent.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 3:02 am Reply with quote
Jedi General wrote:
enurtsol wrote:

Didn't see your reply until after I'd edited my post.

Anyway, if there were an English dub, but I can't hear genuine accents then I simply won't watch it dubbed. But, I seeing as how I still want to watch this series, I'll watch it subtitled since it's the only other option available. How hard is that to understand?

Ah ok, so you're just settling. Laughing
abynormal

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:20 am Reply with quote
I'm in agreement with the accent thing. Fake British accents are always glaringly obvious to me. If they're going to dub it, I'd much rather they hire authentic British VAs . Heck, I'll settle for Australian or South African VAs, too.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
Australian, or SA accents would be no better than Americans trying to impersonate 19th. Century British accents. Dick Van Dyck anyone? Anime hyper There is no reason, except fear of not making a profit, for not either taking it here to the UK to dub it, or at least bringing British VA's over to LA to do it there. I'd like to highlight that it was common practice for American VA's to go to Derwyn Studios, in Llandilo, Carmarthenshire, West Wales to dub most of Manga Entertainments titles back in the mid to late 90's. I know of one studio in Osterley, West Middlesex, not far from Heathrow Airport , that has a great audio dubbing facility and would be more than happy to come to some agreed arrangment with Nozomi. I even contacted Nozomi for them to at least consider it, but got no reply. For me if it's not properly dubbed with British VA's, it's not going to be worth watching, even in Japanese sadly, as it would be like watching BBC's "Cranford" in Japanese. Completely pointless.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2