• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:14 am Reply with quote
I see Kureno as one who is spoiler[weak-minded. And when I say that I refer to when he was freed, and the way he is now. When he was younger, I could understand how he felt sorry for Akito, because he was only in his early teens having to comfort this girl who was around 11 or 12 at the time. That's what can be scary for two young adolescents discovering something by themselves. However, he could have gone a different route, either back then, or most certainly right now, instead of the lifestyle he has subjected himself to.]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:46 pm Reply with quote
in a completely un related side note, i ordered volume 20 a few days ago. it comes out on the 1st of July i think.

Interestinglyspoiler[i just noticed something symbolic about Kureno. as a Juniishi, he was the rooster (sparrow) and was the only one who could fly. when he was freed, he realized he would never be able to fly again. When he was freed, He remained bound to Akito. He has even less freedom than he did before, and therein lie the symbolism]

Last edited by suna_suna on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:35 am; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:14 am Reply with quote
In which his situation becomes very ironic. Either way, he spoiler[was free and at the same time imprisoned. Though I think it was worse for him when he was freed from the curse.]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
Interestinglyspoiler[i just noticed something symbolic about Kureno. as a Juniishi, he was the rooster (sparrow) and was the only one who could fly. when he was freed, he realized he would never be able to fly again. When he was freed, He remained bound to Akito. He has even less freedom than he did before, and therein lie the symbolism]

He's spoiler[no longer the bird, but he's still in a cage.] It's almost poetic. I like it.

Kureno spoiler[really should have rethought his promise after a few years. Like fighter said, it may have been OK when Akito was younger but it wasn't having the desired results when they grew up. Kureno's not blind to the pain and suffering Akito inflicts. He chooses to ignore it because of his promise, at least until Tohru and Arisa come into his life.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I would call that being a hard head, and probably at the same time naive. You would think he would get the message when spoiler[Shigure has made it openly clear that he doesn't like Kureno for what happened between Akito and Kureno. When Kureno and Shigure were having that conversation, Kureno was telling Shigure that he should put AKito first. In order for Shigure to do that though, Kureno would have had to give up the position he had in Akito's life.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
OK, time to introduce the new pair. This week we're moving on to Rin and Shigure.

They're a hard pair for me to sum up. Both spoiler[are seeking the same goal, breaking the curse. However, Rin stresses herself out by trying to achieve it all by herself while Shigure prefers to manipulate things behind the scenes and let others do his work. ]

I think I'll leave it there for now. I look forward to everyone's comments!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quote
The strongest link that exists between these two is the fact that spoiler[ Rin believes that Shigure knows a way to break the curse and she wants to find any way to determine him into telling her the truth. The fact is that Shigure is unwilling to tell what he knows because he is the type that likes to manipulate people and not telling them straight away what he wants makes the things even harder for Rin. Thus she becomes even surer about the fact that Shigure might know something. ]

Besides that, Shigure feels that he can easily toy with Rin especially because spoiler[she seeks so desperately a way to break the curse. Sometimes I felt that Shigure is actually amused by the whole situation.]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 10:05 am Reply with quote
I think in Rin's case, Shigure spoiler[was being a real S.O.B. about the situation. To the point where he lead Rin to believe that if she slept with him, he tell her. Fortunatly he didn't go that far. Probably because if Haru found out...it would get really, really ugly.]

Rin, despite her strength is very fragile. Which is indicated by spoiler[being hospitalized for bleeding ulcers. At least I think that's what's wrong with her. (I'm re-reading that volumne now.) But, I also think that Shigure is manipulating Rin so that she can take comfort in Tohru's arms like the rest of the Zodiac. Which is evidenced by the fact that he wouldn't let Hatori take her to the hospital that one night and Rin ended up clinging to Tohru for the entire night until morning.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Shigure can be very manipulative about things, and that was one of them. He did spoiler[indeed enjoy watching Rin as she was desperately trying to search for the truth, in which he was able to play his way out of having to tell her. It was only after she had gone through her last escapade into the Sohma house and the Nekotsuki did he tell her at last, when she had finally given up and accepted fate.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:12 pm Reply with quote
LydiaDianne wrote:
I think in Rin's case, Shigure spoiler[was being a real S.O.B. about the situation. To the point where he lead Rin to believe that if she slept with him, he tell her. Fortunatly he didn't go that far. Probably because if Haru found out...it would get really, really ugly.]

The real ugly part about all this is the fact that he actually has said something like that to her. In spoiler[ suggesting that, Shigure was really horrible but I would have expected an even worse retaliation from Haru because we all know that Balck Haru isn't something pretty. What is even worse about this whole situation is the fact that Rin seriously considered his proposition. Sometimes she just is uncapable of seeing the horrible things that she might do. Haru wouldn't have forgiven her for that especially because he too knows part of the ugly side of Shigure. ]

I think that this is another big question that we should think about it: spoiler[ Rin would have been capable to sleep and therefore sell her body to Shigure in order to find out the truth about the curse? Would Shigure have acepted this? ]It would have definetely enhanced the drama. Rolling Eyes
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:19 am Reply with quote
aya_honda wrote:
I think that this is another big question that we should think about it: spoiler[ Rin would have been capable to sleep and therefore sell her body to Shigure in order to find out the truth about the curse? Would Shigure have acepted this? ]It would have definetely enhanced the drama. Rolling Eyes

It almost seemed like it at the end of the volume where it was supposedly implied. However, seeing the direction of spoiler[where their conversation went as soon as Rin made her offer to him, he almost seemed as not to be so interested in it, rather just to see what she would do.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 3:36 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
aya_honda wrote:

It almost seemed like it at the end of the volume where it was supposedly implied. However, seeing the direction of spoiler[where their conversation went as soon as Rin made her offer to him, he almost seemed as not to be so interested in it, rather just to see what she would do.]

Not that Shigure doesn't know how is to spoiler[ sleep with someone just for the sake of it, taking into consideration that he had slept with Ren just to get avenged on Akito. ] To tell you the truth I had the distinct impression at a fiirst reading spoiler[ of that particular scene that it actually might happen and that both were ready to do that, but then seeing as you said how the scene turned I thought "Phew!" Anime dazed ]

On the other hand could it be that Shigure took pity on her and finally told her the fact that spoiler[ the curse is about to break? I think that he might have got impressed by the extent to which Rin is ready to go in order to break the curse. He might have understood that if she continues like this then she might have done a greater harm to herself and therefore he finally revealed to her the fact that the curse is about to finally break.] Not impossible....
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:06 am Reply with quote
Shigure told her when spoiler[he found out that she had decided her "journey" in searching for the answer was over. For her hard work that only led to her almost endangering her own life, he told her how the curse would break. And for all that she had been working for, he told her that she had only to wait, which is pretty ironic for all that was put into her searching.]
Ningensei

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Hello everyone! I'm finally back again, sorry for another long hiatus. I'm looking forward to jumping back in with the pairs discussions and continuing the series discussions once the next volume comes out in July! I've been kind of out of the whole anime/manga loop for awhile but I'm glad to be back if everyone takes me back! Please? Very Happy

Wow, it seems as thought I've missed a lot! Psycho has joined the Furuba madness.

aya_honda wrote:
To tell you the truth I had the distinct impression at a fiirst reading spoiler[of that particular scene that it actually might happen and that both were ready to do that, but then seeing as you said how the scene turned I thought "Phew!"]

I actually had the same feeling as well. It seemed thatspoiler[ Rin was so determined to break that curse that she would actually go that far, and I thought for a moment that "situation" really did happen.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:32 am Reply with quote
Welcome home, honey! Very Happy Of course we take you back! Very Happy

Ningensei wrote:

I actually had the same feeling as well. It seemed thatspoiler[ Rin was so determined to break that curse that she would actually go that far, and I thought for a moment that "situation" really did happen.]

Same here and you know, I especially re-read that scene and I can understand why the whole situation was so confusing.

fighterholic wrote:

Quote:
Shigure told her when spoiler[he found out that she had decided her "journey" in searching for the answer was over. For her hard work that only led to her almost endangering her own life, he told her how the curse would break. And for all that she had been working for, he told her that she had only to wait, which is pretty ironic for all that was put into her searching.]

But how he did that is very important. Shigure had a terrible manner of telling Rin the truth, especially because spoiler[ he destroys all her efforts piece by piece. Firstly he tells her that Ren couldn't have known the truth and he was very sure of this because "I know her well.... very...." (Wasn't he very ironic with this?!) Shigure basically destroys Rin's most dangerous and most hurtful effort in finding out a way to break the curse. She endangered her life for all this, her hair was cut and on top of it all she was locked up in the Nekotsuki's room from where she wouldn't have got out alive if it wasn't for Kureno. ] This is especially cruel from Shigure's part because he might have stopped all this.

Secondly he plays with her. spoiler[ Shigure almost says something like "It is a way but I am not sure that I should tell you... but then again maybe... so how about me telling you the truth?!" Even I was angered by his manner of telling her the truth, almost in a literary way, trying to get the suspanse to the ultimate level. ]

And finally by telling her that spoiler[ no matter what she does the curse is about to be lifted anyway, Shigure really became a cruel idiot since he could have spared someone a lot of sufferance. ] It's almost as if he likes everybody to suffer, not to be lonely in his pain.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 139 of 170