• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, June 11–17

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:14 am Reply with quote
It must be the bug-collecting culture in Japan, since I doubt Bee Movie would have done well, otherwise. That, or they got a popular Japanese comedian for the dub.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Maybe Seinufeldo is bigger than Goku over there! Laughing
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It must be the bug-collecting culture in Japan, since I doubt Bee Movie would have done well, otherwise. That, or they got a popular Japanese comedian for the dub.

On the contrary, it was simply marketed better.
Instead of selling it as a sort of "not really a seinfeld movie" and "not really a kids movie" waffling thing like they did here (remember the freaky and not funny preview involving the voice actors in giant insect suits on a windshield?) they simply marketed it as a kids movie, plain and simple.
CG animated Kids movies sell well on DVD in Japan (and everywhere, actually), and this one is no different. I don't think it did particularly well in theaters, but parents are picking it up for their kids, that's all.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Japan sure loves their DBGT, Eva, and Totoro. Cool
jeromeskee

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
I never liked DBGT and I'll probably never buy any of the DVDs. I just see it as an added series that was made to pull in more money for Toei and Shueisha, and here it is more than ten years later and it's still bringing them profits. Dragon Ball remains a lucrative commodity, more than ten years after the manga and anime have ended.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 8:03 pm Reply with quote
GT's only selling well in Japan, because it bombed in the ratings there the first time around, and they probably don't even bother airing it in reruns.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
GT's only selling well in Japan, because it bombed in the ratings there the first time around, and they probably don't even bother airing it in reruns.

I believed they aired reruns on Animax.

Is there any way to see the numbers for these releases?
strahl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:54 am Reply with quote
crap!! Eva 1.0 is a best seller....

The head trips of Anno just got more funds once again...

Gainax just decided to extend the final movie in two parts, so they will be five plus the ending...worked for harry potter...

"If you make it...they will come"...

Also Gainax just announced a new Tv series of evangelion after the movies..."everything was a dream...." and starts when shinji wakes up inside the Eva after he just killed Kaworu, Gainax catchphrase of the series will be the first line....
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42 am Reply with quote
strahl wrote:
Also Gainax just announced a new Tv series of evangelion after the movies..."everything was a dream...." and starts when shinji wakes up inside the Eva after he just killed Kaworu, Gainax catchphrase of the series will be the first line....

If this is indeed true it looks like pretty serious news to me. I hope the series will only "overrule" the new films' ending and not that of EoE.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1