• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Brothers to Produce Live-Action Ninja Scroll

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarmaRocketX

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Hooray. Another anime gets raped by the American Motion Picture Industry machine.

Well, when Dragonball from Fox bombs, maybe they'll still be able to realize after that Speed Racer garbage what a truly bad idea this is, and quit production.

But I wouldn't count on that.
Tomibiki

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Starring Ben Afleck
crazychild

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:17 pm Reply with quote
Yet another property that worked so well in animation because it would look ridiculous in live action.
krownklown

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:24 pm Reply with quote
hold on a sec, thats a little unfair criticism, WB might actually do a good job, lets not forget TDK
plus in all honesty id rather have the live action made by a US company than a Japanese one, because as good as the Japanese animation industry is , its movies tank because the put no effort whatsoever in production value - im sorry a good story is one thing, but if thats all that you have going for you, i might as well just read a book

Fox on the other hand should not be allowed to have the rights to any movie live action or otherwise
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quote
The only one I want directing Ninja Scroll is Ryuhei Kitamura. [Well, ok, maybe that 300 guy too...] I'm surprised that the rights went to WB, though, since I remember the company which produced MK was supposed to be doing it. Interesting idea, but unless they're at least willing to go 300 with it, it won't work. And the American film industry doesn't need to rape the original, since MadHouse already ruined it with that half-assed tv show. But, hey, there's always a chance for them to turn it into another Chun Li or Last Samurai. Rolling Eyes I imagine the company got the rights, since it figured it was way in over its head with Akira, and they figured Ninja Scroll will cost less.

krown: What worked with TDK was WB opting for the opposite approach to what didn't work with Superman Returns. It's a shame WB probably won't do that again, though, since Watchmen will probably disappoint, and no one wants to take that kind of a chance on a niche property.
SSJ Gohan 64

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
The only one I want directing Ninja Scroll is Ryuhei Kitamura. [Well, ok, maybe that 300 guy too...] I'm surprised that the rights went to WB, though, since I remember the company which produced MK was supposed to be doing it. Interesting idea, but unless they're at least willing to go 300 with it, it won't work. And the American film industry doesn't need to rape the original, since MadHouse already ruined it with that half-assed tv show. But, hey, there's always a chance for them to turn it into another Chun Li or Last Samurai. Rolling Eyes I imagine the company got the rights, since it figured it was way in over its head with Akira, and they figured Ninja Scroll will cost less.

krown: What worked with TDK was WB opting for the opposite approach to what didn't work with Superman Returns. It's a shame WB probably won't do that again, though, since Watchmen will probably disappoint, and no one wants to take that kind of a chance on a niche property.

You really think Watchman will do bad at the box office? The movie has lots of postive buzz for it ever since the trailer came out with The Dark Knight. I don't expect it to do The Dark Knight numbers, but it'll probably do well for itself.
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
this is such a bad idea.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:14 pm Reply with quote
DiCaprio must be quite an anime fan. Akira and Ninja Scroll?
Oh... wait, everyone has seen those.

I wonder if any of these companies will ever take on something a little more obscure. You know, diamond in the rough territory. Something were it would be possible to outshine the original.

Though I must say Ninja Scroll would be a lot easier to pull off than Akira.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RPGamer246

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:15 pm Reply with quote
eh i hold hope seeing as the producers will be working with madhouse itself but who knows, i personally like WB and their work with alot of movies.
EricDent

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 9:29 pm Reply with quote
What was wrong with Speed Racer? I thought it captured the look & feel of the show pretty well. Sure it did bad at the theaters, but it was up against some serious competition at the time.

I have seen the movie called Samurai Resurection, which is sort-of a live-action version of the Ninja Resurection anime, and that was made in Japan. If they can pull off live action stuff like that in Japan, they should have no problems with it in the USA.

There is only one tiny problem I can see with this movie, the anime is very "Rated R", and I bet they will water it down quite a bit to make it PG-13. Sort of like what they did in the Ninja Scroll TV series IMO.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:16 pm Reply with quote
I think this movie has potential. Ninja Scroll strikes me as something that is possible to bring over to live-action. Granted, I won't be holding my breath, but it has a chance.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
SSJ: Watchmen might not do bad, but it's at risk of performing below expectations. A good example is V for Vendetta, since that one had a good opening, but a weak staying power at the box office. It was profitable, but not huge. People are willing to see darker comic adaptations, but only ones which either have a good cast[Sin City, Road to Perdition] or a simple selling point[300]. I imagine The Spirit will probably encounter a similar problem as Watchmen, too.

Dargon:
Quote:
I wonder if any of these companies will ever take on something a little more obscure.

Well, the Wachowskis did remake Megazone a few years back... Rolling Eyes

Eric:
Quote:
What was wrong with Speed Racer? I thought it captured the look & feel of the show pretty well.

If you don't count the pointless back-story and the stupid fight scenes, sure.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
No, no, no, no, NO
Big Hed

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Interesting idea, but unless they're at least willing to go 300 with it, it won't work.

I'm hopeful that they will go the 300 way with it. Seems like common sense, given the nature of the material -- and since 300 already exists as a proven example, all the more reason.

Of course there's always the chance that they'll say: "Oh, Ninja Scroll's got ninjas, like that Naruto thing that's so popular with the kids these days. Maybe we should aim for something like that." Razz
LuckySeven

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:04 pm Reply with quote
While I do think some anime might translate well over to live-action (like Gunsmith Cats), this wasn't one of them. Still I'll take a wait and see approach on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4