• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Reveals More of Switchblade Pictures' Lineup

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
YES!!!

Attack Girls Swim Team vs. the Undead coming to US!!!!!!

i'll die happy if they can also bring Suicide Club...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:12 am Reply with quote
I'm happy as long as they keep on releasing new anime. If ADV Films turns into AnimEigo where they just keep their old titles on catalog and just switch their releases to nothing but Live Action Japanese films, I won't be supporting ADV in the future.

AnimEigo doesn't release new anime anymore and you can't count Yawara because it's an older series and it's the first new title they've released in over a decade. 99% of their releases consists of Live Action samurai movies.
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:14 am Reply with quote
icepick: Suicide Club is already on R1 DVD.
Kitano360

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:29 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I'm happy as long as they keep on releasing new anime. If ADV Films turns into AnimEigo where they just keep their old titles on catalog and just switch their releases to nothing but Live Action Japanese films, I won't be supporting ADV in the future.

AnimEigo doesn't release new anime anymore and you can't count Yawara because it's an older series and it's the first new title they've released in over a decade. 99% of their releases consists of Live Action samurai movies.

lol, doesn't count because it's an older anime? Sorry, but that makes zero sense. Live-action titles are what keeps AnimEigo in business if you haven't figured it out yet (and they certainly all aren't "samurai movies"). Although AnimEigo has been slow on their anime releases as of late, they did take a lot of care and effort into making sure that Yawara was as perfect as it could be (the first box is an excellent release). You can see a similar situation within Media Blasters with their Tokyo Shock line. This new live-action label will hopefully enable ADV to turn a higher profit (as is typical of these labels) and help fund new anime acquisitions.
Proz512

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
YES!!!

Suicide Club, under the name Suicide Circle, was released on R1 years ago.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Kitano360 wrote:

This new live-action label will hopefully enable ADV to turn a higher profit (as is typical of these labels) and help fund new anime acquisitions.

They should just go back to their roots how they used to do it and release Soft Cel titles then. Laughing
Super_Vegeta

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
I've actually been looking to see a few live-action Japanese films just to see how they are. I liked Shinobi. Anyway, maybe I'll look into some of these.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm only really interested in Dororo, but if they keep this up it may come down the pipes, so it's worth paying attention to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bigcathead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I was going to be snarky and post the "Hey Icepick, did you know that Suicide Club has been released in r1?." But instead I'll actually be (somehwat) helpful and say it's totally worth picking it up in the box set that TLA did (where they include 2ldk and Moon Child)
magicalgirlj

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
icepick314 wrote:
YES!!!

oh same here. I love asian horror movies.
ShugoYotsuba

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Kitano360 wrote:
Colonel Wolfe wrote:

lol, doesn't count because it's an older anime? Sorry, but that makes zero sense. Live-action titles are what keeps AnimEigo in business if you haven't figured it out yet (and they certainly all aren't "samurai movies"). Although AnimEigo has been slow on their anime releases as of late, they did take a lot of care and effort into making sure that Yawara was as perfect as it could be (the first box is an excellent release). You can see a similar situation within Media Blasters with their Tokyo Shock line. This new live-action label will hopefully enable ADV to turn a higher profit (as is typical of these labels) and help fund new anime acquisitions.

Good thing you brought up Media Blasters, I can't wait for them to release Tokyo Gore Police, that movie is AWESOME!!!
fuuma_monou

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
Super_Vegeta wrote:
I've actually been looking to see a few live-action Japanese films just to see how they are.

Eko Eko Azarak: Wizard of Darkness makes for a nice double-feature with The Craft (movies with witches made in the mid nineties). I'm still holding out for the remote possibility of an R1 release of the Eko Eko Azarak TV series starring Hinako Saeki (basis for the third movie, Misa the Dark Angel).
logboy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:06 am Reply with quote
this has to be the worst, most disheartening selection of licensing announcements i've ever seen. a bunch of cheapo craptacular nonsense not worth even a moments consideration. cheap is fine, trashy is fine, but intentionally or ineptly unimaginatively made cheap trash is the worst of the worst.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 3:04 pm Reply with quote
logboy wrote:
this has to be the worst, most disheartening selection of licensing announcements i've ever seen. a bunch of cheapo craptacular nonsense not worth even a moments consideration. cheap is fine, trashy is fine, but intentionally or ineptly unimaginatively made cheap trash is the worst of the worst.

I try never to call movies crap, even though most of these look pretty bad to me. I've learned that one person's trash is another's treasure, as noted by Dragon Ball and virtually everything Viz has ever licensed. Even though you despise it, someone else out there loves it.

I've read many comments by people calling some of my favorite anime like Elfen Lied, Chrono Crusade, or Rahxpehon trash, but to me they're great. But personally, I could live quite happily without ever watching Dragon Ball, Death Note, or Bleach ever again....
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2008 7:09 am Reply with quote
Now we get crappy movies instead of good manga. Thanks, ADV!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1