• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The X Button - Misfit Joys

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:57 am Reply with quote
As a Dragon Quest fan with a DS and Wii, I cannot wait! Those and the DS remake of 5 has yet to hit America (I'll be getting that one and 6 too, gotta complete the numbers!). Fine time to be a Dragon Quest fan living outside of Japan, lets hope they don't ask us for $50-$60 here for 9 (I'd have to wait for the price to drop if it were that much).

Glad there was an overlooked game section, I'm always looking out for them, but its so difficult when the DS market is flooded with Petz and Imagine and other games that use "z" as a way to make a word plural. I'll probably look into Soul Bubbles.

Bangai-O wasn't overlooked for me per se, but I haven't been able to get it yet. I love Treasure (Astro Boy: Omega Factor and Ikargua in particular) so this is high up on my list of must get DS games.
daedelus

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:16 am Reply with quote
Wow, thanks for the blast to the past! I had totally forgotten about UN Squadron. I played the heck out of that game in between rounds of Zelda and Castlevania. Not to mention FF 2(US version).
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Dragon Quest X will be on the Wii. It's the biggest news from the Japanese game industry since…well, since Dragon Quest IX: Protectors of the Starry Sky (right) was announced for the DS.

Tough call. Do I get Wii for DQX, or do I get PS3 for Yakuza 3[NSFW]? Crying or Very sad This assumes I have any money in next year's economy, of course. Wink

Quote:
A Western release hasn't been ruled out entirely, but CAPCOM is evidently still deciding whether or not it'd be worth it to get the North American rights to all of Tatsunoko's characters.

If they can put out one of those Jojo games before the manga and anime, why not Tatsunoko?

Quote:
You control the apparently eponymous Boy, a multi-colored, snakelike lad who can stretch his body out to remarkably flexible lengths (a process handled by the PS3 controller's dual analog sticks, much like the giant-cluster-rolling of Katamari). Boy devours various objects in order to increase his stretching abilities, and all of his efforts similarly help his counterpart Girl elongate, the main difference being that Girl is a world-encircling version of Boy.

Isn't this basically a 3-d version of that calculator game from back in the day?

Anyway, any comments about MS knowingly selling a defective product? Besides, "not again", I mean. Rolling Eyes
DFBTG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:07 am Reply with quote
I personally would have loved to hear more praise for Persona 4, but that's just me. Haven't played it yet ("Christmas present"...tch. Like a few weeks early would kill?), but...it's awesome. As for Rise of the Argonauts...well, I hope that lives up to the what's been said about it. It sounds cool, I just hope that it isn't so cool that it's gameplay is broken. If that doesn't make sense, trust me, you're not alone. Ah, Dragon Quest...sadly I haven't enjoyed one of those since 3 came out for the GBC. Maybe I'll play that again...
Ryusui

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
Classicalzawa's avatar reminds me.

There will be much pain and suffering if Bandai Namco decides to screw us yet again and not bring the Klonoa Wiimake stateside.
Animedude35

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:22 am Reply with quote
You know, I never got to say this, but the X Button is probably my favorite weekly article on the site because it always reminds me what I need to buy or just reminding me of old times like UN Squadron.

I remember playing the heck out of that game when that came out, and trying to beat all the bosses.

Anyways, good luck on Persona 4, because it's a grind to get through (after the first several hours or so)
NimbusRain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:10 am Reply with quote
Quote:
You'll note that most of them come from the DS. It might be that it's easier for great games to go ignored in a handheld system's crowded library. Or maybe I'm just biased and need lots of grammatically deranged e-mails to tell me that.

Hey, I don't blame you at all. For a fan of Japanese games (especially JRPGs) like myself, the DS is truly the best system out there right now. I'll have to give some of the ones you mentioned a try.

GATSU wrote:
Tough call. Do I get Wii for DQX, or do I get PS3 for Yakuza 3[NSFW]? Crying or Very sad This assumes I have any money in next year's economy, of course. Wink

I'd go with the PS3 if I were you. I bought my Wii right when it came out, and I've still only bought 3 games for it. DQX on the Wii is definitely good news, but there really aren't a whole lot of hardcore games on the system.
bleuster

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:26 am Reply with quote
Quote:
there's an uncommon air of innocent fun in Princess Debut

Exactly why I loved it. Not gonna lie, I was got this game for $#*! and giggles, but much like Rhapsody I fell quickly in love with its simplicity of the gameplay and playful characters.
Hope to see a sequel someday.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:55 am Reply with quote
NimbusRain wrote:
Quote:
You'll note that most of them come from the DS. It might be that it's easier for great games to go ignored in a handheld system's crowded library. Or maybe I'm just biased and need lots of grammatically deranged e-mails to tell me that.

Hey, I don't blame you at all. For a fan of Japanese games (especially JRPGs) like myself, the DS is truly the best system out there right now. I'll have to give some of the ones you mentioned a try.

GATSU wrote:

I'd go with the PS3 if I were you. I bought my Wii right when it came out, and I've still only bought 3 games for it. DQX on the Wii is definitely good news, but there really aren't a whole lot of hardcore games on the system.

...Not enough hardcore games?

I will agree but there are good, niche, anime styled titles on the way. You already have Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World, Okami and in spring, the glorious gem that is going to be Muramasa: The Demon Blade.

On TOP of that, Rune Factory Frontier is presumably due out for a fall/winter release next year from XSEED. I will admit, the Wii lacks a decent number of titles, but it's got plenty of games appealing to 'our' crowd.

Back on topic, since you said it was underlooked... Even though Princess Debut is probably pure, girly fluff, I could use that right about now. I'll hit it up on gamefly... if I don't get my 360 anytime soon. Once I do...

Well, the four key titles for me are Fallout 3, Burnout Paradise, Eternal Sonata and Mirror's Edge.
ryoga79

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
I had UN Squadron on the Atari ST before I got it on the SNES and that version was two player but the graphics and sound were far worse and it didn't have some of the missions. Sadly there is no ultimate version with everything. Much like there is no english version of the full story, to have so many comics and then not finish the series still burns me up.

I'll get excited about DQ9 & 10 nearer the time they are translated into english.
BleuVII

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:56 am Reply with quote
I just have to say that mock-up of the Judge as the Loch Ness monster made my day.
zawa113

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:19 am Reply with quote
Ryusui wrote:
Classicalzawa's avatar reminds me.

There will be much pain and suffering if Bandai Namco decides to screw us yet again and not bring the Klonoa Wiimake stateside.

Hooray! Someone noticed my avatar! Which I drew with my extremely lacking ability in art skills (and no colored pencils or crayons to boot, one thing I forgot to bring with me....)

According to Nintendo Power, it's been confirmed for NA release in Spring (without the goofy changed character design they proposed, yay!) and for EU in July 2009 (probably by some other source, not really sure). I have been freaking out about it since X Button mentioned it back in October, even if I did get to play the PS1 game (about half a dozen times). Hopefully they'll end up making a Klonoa 3, now that interest has perhaps revived and maybe bring over Klonoa Heroes (because it would be so freakin hot to play a Klonoa RPG). It is one of the few things I go fangirl over, Klonoa 2 was one of my first PS2 games ever and still one of my favorites.
KanonAirHaruhiShuffle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:37 am Reply with quote
its funny that Battle Fantasia is available on PS3 and Xbox 360 in Japan but America has only the 360 version and before it came out they were thinking of a PS3 version for America but i haven't seen any updated news on that. maybe the 360 version in America had such terrible sales on that game and so there wont be an American PS3 version. even though the Japanese version is like half in english text especially in parts on the main menu screen(only played the Japanese PS3 demo). Princess Debut i will pick that up as soon as i get a DS along with Dragon Quest IX. Dragon Quest X and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom will even encourage me to get a Wii(only if Tatsunoko comes to U.S. and some other games that Japan has on the Wii like Haruhi).
Chrno2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:07 am Reply with quote
Uh oh more craziness from the 'Katamari' team. Should be interesting.
Glad to know that princess debut is getting more notice. I may have to pick that up.

As for 'Capcom vs Tatsunoko', if they're not going to bring it stateside, is it possible to import it? I heard mention that the PS3 was region free. But considering the price might be the reason why some might not bother. Let's hope they do decided on releasing it.
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:19 am Reply with quote
Yet another review of a great shmup this column. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3