• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Encyclopedia Suggestion List.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eaglestorm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
A Live-Action drama/movie list such as those for Anime and Manga. At present, afaik, the only way to locate those are through searches and those series may be listed under alternate names/aliases. Correct me if I'm wrong and there's already a better way to locate those with the current set-up.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:45 am Reply with quote
eaglestorm wrote:
A Live-Action drama/movie list such as those for Anime and Manga. At present, afaik, the only way to locate those are through searches and those series may be listed under alternate names/aliases. Correct me if I'm wrong and there's already a better way to locate those with the current set-up.

There was one but removed intentionally. Some forum veterans might still remember how to enter the URL manually and can PM you if they want.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dm85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote
How about adding a list of legal ways(if any) to view the particular series your looking up. I know there's news links on the bottom of the page, but I'm not sure if it covers all bases. Adding bits of detail would also help. How many episodes are being streamed, how can they be viewed, etc.
Sakagami Tomoyo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:25 am Reply with quote
PantsGoblin wrote:
Personally, I think a renai game or visual novel section should be put in before a novel section. Uh, it may just be personal taste though. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop But it seems to me they have closer ties to anime than novels... And I'm sure with novels, we're going to get people submitting ones that have nothing to do with anime at all... Both would be nice though.

I wouldn't say that either has closer ties with anime than the other. And well yes, with both novels and games, people will undoubtedly submit ones that have nothing to do with anime... just like it happens with manga.

So anyway, as quite a few others have already said, I would very much like to see a section for light novels added. With an ever-increasing number of anime and manga based on light novels being released (and the odd light novel based on a manga or anime), it would be a useful feature to have. Or at the very least, for the time being, some sort of "based on light novel(s) by X" tag that can be attached to the entries for applicable titles.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:01 pm Reply with quote
I've been wanting a way to search for non-hentai OAVs. As far as I can tell, you can only exclude titles labeled "Adults only!" on the genre search page, but can only limit your search to OAVs on the sorted list page.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:02 pm Reply with quote
I realize this won't be a huge help, but in the genre search, you could set it to only search movies (which includes OVA entries). That way you don't have to dig through TV series at least.
Calathan
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
I realize this won't be a huge help, but in the genre search, you could set it to only search movies (which includes OVA entries). That way you don't have to dig through TV series at least.

Ah, I didn't realize that. I knew that OAVs were included in "series", so I was assuming they weren't included in "movies", but it turns out they are included in both.
redsoxsfan1212

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote
I was thinking it would be great if you could put the char info link next to the actors so you could get info on both
SR-95

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote
How does adding an Awards category like on Imdb sound?
Some anime/manga have received various awards in big events such as the Oscars, Animation Kobe, the Shogakukan Manga Award, Seiun, Mainichi, Blue Ribbon, Kinema Junpo, etc and I believe these are worth tracking as more than just Trivia.

P.S. I am not taking into account unofficial internet awards that imply users voting.
rti9

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:13 am Reply with quote
It would be really nice if the compare function could also compare companies in addition to staff and cast.
BlackOpsNoOne

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:11 am Reply with quote
Honestly this idea didn't start out as one for the Encyclopedia, but I adapted it as such and hope my original idea might be addressed also.

My idea is sorting by date for both the Encyclopedia and for My Anime/Manga. Of course for the Encyclopedia it would be sorting by dates made or original runs etc. The My Anime could be sorted by date added to your list or dates when you moved it from say Want to See to Seen Some to Seen All and etc. (this is my original idea btw). I am borderline obsessive when it comes to sorting and categorization and I thought that would be another useful way to sort things by. My idea for the My Anime section came about when I wanted to see which of the anime in my Want to See section was oldest, so I could work off some of the older titles before moving to newer ones. The idea for the Encyclopedia idea came about when I noticed Tenchi and Amagasaki carrying a Sasami poster in the first episode of El Hazard - The Wanderers and began wondering which came out when. This is definitely not a priority update, I just think this would be a useful sorting feature for other OCD people like myself.

More sorting features could also be added such as Sorting the Encyclopedia based on ratings/average ratings, number of ratings, number of people having seen it, etc. (have you noticed I use etc. a lot?). A more user friendly sorting feature for My Anime would be helpful too because so far the only way I've found to actually sort the whole thing by your Rating is to add ?sort=rating to the URL as opposed to ?categ=3&sort=rating which is what happens when you click the hyper linked rating that currently exists (which only displays Seen All sorted by rating).

I don't know if this idea has been suggested before, if its already in the works, or even if this is the right place to post this idea. Though after searching the forums I could find no other place to post.

I would appreciate any further ideas that would support/improve on my own and hope the powers that be will look favorably on my suggestion.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:00 pm Reply with quote
It's nice that we can enter non-anime credits here, but sometimes it becomes bothersome. There are some actors who do a lot of anime, and a lot of non-anime (Ex.), and others who have done a lot of non anime and a little bit of anime (Ex.) In both cases it's sort of throws off the balance of the page. I suggest hiding any non-anime roles/staff positions above 5 in the same manner that the user ratings are hidden in an anime's encyclopedia page. Anime should be the focus here anyway.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:58 am Reply with quote
Another idea, that you've probably already implemented in an Editor Forum or someplace similar in the form of a to-do list, but how about the ability to search for titles that are missing information? For example, find all anime that lacks a summary, or a picture, or an age rating etc. Something similar could be applied to people and companies too.
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
It would be really convenient if the submission forms for family and given names in kanji were unified. If you know the name in kanji, most likely you know both.

Just be:
Family name
Given name
Source
Brice_Armstrong

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:06 am Reply with quote
I've been wondering if it's worth having an option in the Encyclopedia where Anime titles can sorted by episode numbers? Cause a great deal of Anime fans choose their animes based on the number of episodes, many of us (excluding myself) hate watching Animes that are longer than 26 or 52 episodes, I believe it would be helpful to many if they can search for animes based on episode numbers, that way they can just look into the 20's, 50's or 100's...etc.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 21