• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Second Gurren Lagann Film's Teaser Trailer Streamed

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SneakerPimp

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Seriously, what's the point in putting DRM and region locks on a friggin' trailer? Mad
joshuafer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:44 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if there is a lot of appeal for this sort of thing, a shortened version of the original. I know they have done it with a few other anime, but not that many, makes me think they are just trying to earn some extra cash. I guess it is like the shortened version, do they cut out a lot of the fights or what ?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
joshuafer wrote:
I guess it is like the shortened version, do they cut out a lot of the fights or what ?

I doubt it, the fights are what I think would pull people to see this kind of remake. I'm guessing what gets cut is all nonessential plot/character development. Yeah, wouldn't make for a very involving story, but if you want to truncate 9.5 hours of footage into 100-120 minutes and still sell tickets, something's gotta give.
Jadress

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Wait, someone set me straight. I thought the first Gurren Lagann movie was also a remake of the series. So the second movie is ANOTHER remake of the series? Do I have this right? Because if this is the case.. I think it's stupid and disappointing... Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Wait, someone set me straight. I thought the first Gurren Lagann movie was also a remake of the series. So the second movie is ANOTHER remake of the series? Do I have this right? Because if this is the case.. I think it's stupid and disappointing... Confused

the first one was only half of the series, the second one covers the rest. supposedly. it's not really a remake, and they are redoing a whole bunch of stuff.
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Think of it as kind of like a "Best Of" album that you get from some of the more established musical artists (Springsteen, Led Zeppelin, David Bowie, for example). You take the big hits and highlights and put them all together. Cut out all the murky stuff that no one really remembers or cares for. Remaster it and slap it all together with some new packaging and looks, and maybe through in a few new tracks and presto, there you have it.

It's not just for the fans, but also for people who never got into the original. It's a lot easier to watch 2 movies than a 27 episode series that you have to buy. And then it may draw the new people into buying the original series anyway.
pparker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
What I'm wondering is what is all this love for Microsoft? This is the second one I've noticed lately. Oh... the security. Right. I have to fire up a big bloatload of buggy, insecure software that forces me to download an ActiveX component (again laughable security) in order to watch a trailer "securely" that who would want to copy anyway, and no marketer in their right mind would want to restrict from copying just in case more people got to know about it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:52 pm Reply with quote
In my opinion, Gurren Lagann probably should have been a lot shorter than it was, so the movies may appeal to me more than the series proper. I felt it was very padded, especially in the second arc. I wonder if the Eureka Seven movie will be like this.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:34 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
In my opinion, Gurren Lagann probably should have been a lot shorter than it was, so the movies may appeal to me more than the series proper. I felt it was very padded, especially in the second arc. I wonder if the Eureka Seven movie will be like this.

...considering the ridiculous amount of over-the-top content packed into the second half of the series, I'm curious as to what you feel qualified as "padding." Razz
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 8:58 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

...considering the ridiculous amount of over-the-top content packed into the second half of the series, I'm curious as to what you feel qualified as "padding." Razz

The actual plot of Gurren Lagann could have been easily executed in thirteen episodes and still have had plenty of the over-the-top fun it did. As it was, it was excessive, even for the premise and attitude. After a while, it went from delightfully absurd to agonizingly lame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:18 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

The actual plot of Gurren Lagann could have been easily executed in thirteen episodes and still have had plenty of the over-the-top fun it did. As it was, it was excessive, even for the premise and attitude. After a while, it went from delightfully absurd to agonizingly lame.

To each their own, I suppose, though I'll have to make a note to thoroughly avoid the general opinions of anyone who could take "lame" away from Gurren-Lagann. Razz

Seriously, though, you could probably make a similar statement for just about every show that's ever been made; if you're talking plot points, Cowboy Bebop's "main plot" could fit in only six or seven episodes, but I'm sure we both know that that wasn't what it was going for. At least how I see it, Gurren-Lagann was all about constantly building upon itself, increasing in scope, until it finally wound up at a near-incomprehensible scale. While you could compress the storyline down, I think it would largely destroy that build-up that the show managed so well.

More on-topic, after how I completely enjoyed the series, I don't hold out many expectations for these films, but who knows...they might manage to do something fun.

Last edited by Top Gun on Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
sanosuke32

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:19 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Top Gun wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Dood, please ur not talking about a whole lot of episodes here, its 24 episodes :p If you want to talk about a series that could've been shorter its Blood+. I liked the series a lot, but so much stuff could've been taken out and it could've easily have been 26 episodes and have been great.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:00 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

Seriously, though, you could probably make a similar statement for just about every show that's ever been made; if you're talking plot points, Cowboy Bebop's "main plot" could fit in only six or seven episodes, but I'm sure we both know that that wasn't what it was going for. At least how I see it, Gurren-Lagann was all about constantly building upon itself, increasing in scope, until it finally wound up at a near-incomprehensible scale. While you could compress the storyline down, I think it would largely destroy that build-up that the show managed so well.

More on-topic, after how I completely enjoyed the series, I don't hold out many expectations for these films, but who knows...they might manage to do something fun.

I agree. I think TTGL had a lot of buildup rather than padding, and 13 episodes would've been too short. Although if that isn't your thing, then I could see why one would choose to watch the two movies instead. But personally, that's why I'm not that interested in the two movies either (although if Gainax really is redoing a bunch of stuff like v1cious said, I could well change my mind).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:29 am Reply with quote
The laughable "build up" you're referring to is just increasing the scale of the battle robots with each new episode without adding much to the plot but the fates of irrelevant side characters. The first arc should have only taken five or six episodes at the most and the rest about seven or eight. I think some of the padding is what prevented a good show like Gurren Lagann from being a truly great show.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:51 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
The laughable "build up" you're referring to is just increasing the scale of the battle robots with each new episode...

That's exactly what we're referring to...and that's exactly what made the show truly great. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2